Microwave yes or no? ?

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I use our microwave to steam vegetables all the time. I am often cooking multiple meals and it's easier and saves dishes to use the microwave when I already have a few things going on the stovetop.

I also cook ahead a lot and it comes in mighty handy for reheating leftovers.

We don't use it for popcorn, though. We have an air popper for that.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    finny11122 wrote: »
    I love cooking and turning a bunch of ingredients into something amazing . Only proper cooking techniques can get those great results . You want top quality food , you got to put in the time and effort .
    Cutting open a preservative laden ready meal and dumping it into a microwave is not exactly healthy eating .

Would warming up the same meal in the oven make it any better? If not, your point is moot. :)

No . Cheap ready meals are bad in an oven or microwave . People come to this site to eat healthier and lose weight . Cooking from scratch with good healthy ingredients is a million times better and tastier than any microwave food . I bet you have alot of - I am Nino moments in your kitchen .
    So... I'm supposed to eat foods I cooked myself, in my own kitchen, exactly once, and then if I want leftovers I am supposed to eat them cold? What exactly are you trying to say, here? Or am I supposed to fix an entire meal from scratch every four hours every day?

• ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I use the microwave almost every single day. Heating up leftovers and particularly for my lunches at work which are almost always a small salad and a Lean Cuisine.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I love cooking and turning a bunch of ingredients into something amazing . Only proper cooking techniques can get those great results . You want top quality food , you got to put in the time and effort .
    Cutting open a preservative laden ready meal and dumping it into a microwave is not exactly healthy eating .

Would warming up the same meal in the oven make it any better? If not, your point is moot. :)

No . Cheap ready meals are bad in an oven or microwave . People come to this site to eat healthier and lose weight . Cooking from scratch with good healthy ingredients is a million times better and tastier than any microwave food . I bet you have alot of - I am Nino moments in your kitchen .

I have quite a few tasty pre-made meals that I cooked in the microwave.

I've also had quite a few absolutely disgusting from-scratch meals made with "good healthy ingredients."

So, no.

As for your last comment, :|
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Microwaves don't remove nutrients. If you want to use one, go get one. I use mine all the time. In an attic apartment in the summer, everything I ate would be cold and horrible if I didn't microwave.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    wi_denisha wrote: »
    I was on a program where I was brainwashed and one of the things that they said is to get rid of my microwave which I did and put it in the garage. I haven't had microwave food in 4 months. I was taught or told rather that the microwave takes all the nutrients out of your food and is very bad for you.
    My question is do you use the microwave or not and how do you feel about microwaving your food nutrition wise does it take the nutrition out of the food or not??

I found having a microwave made me lazy and I'd buy foods specifically for the microwave. I soon got rid of it and returned to cooking my food normally. I reheat leftovers on the hob (it doesn't take much longer and generally tastes better) and I never have a need to thaw foods out, so that's no biggie for me. In general I didn't like nuking my food but I get a microwave is as convenient as getting in your car(and yes I cycle B) ), the microwave is just not for me.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OT but this reminds me of 2 epic mfp threads. This one http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/694311/please-stop-microwaving-your-food/p1

And the microwave death box one but that one was deleted.

RIP Deathbox Thread...

394Qm3p.gif
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I feel like this was a big thing in the 1980's before being wholly debunked. Around the same time we had one of those little plastic cards that you passed over the door seams on the microwave to make sure it wasn't leaking radiation at you.

My (off-her-rocker for all sorts of reasons) aunt insisted that if you stood too close to the microwave when it was in use you would become infertile.

I was super paranoid about for a while at like age 12 or so.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

FYI: You can cook good meals from scratch with good healthy ingredients using only a microwave as a heating source.

Each to their own . Personally there is so many great chefs out there these days with great recipies that i would rather cook and learn from them . Everyone has different tastes at the end of the day .

I cook from scratch. And, because I take my lunch to work and often work late/get home late, I usually make extras which I take to work for lunch or have the next night. And sometimes I even heat up those leftovers, in a microwave.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    OT but this reminds me of 2 epic mfp threads. This one http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/694311/please-stop-microwaving-your-food/p1

We haven't had a good Death Box thread in quite a while. What a great Debate topic!!!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

FYI: You can cook good meals from scratch with good healthy ingredients using only a microwave as a heating source.

Each to their own . Personally there is so many great chefs out there these days with great recipies that i would rather cook and learn from them . Everyone has different tastes at the end of the day .

I cook from scratch. And, because I take my lunch to work and often work late/get home late, I usually make extras which I take to work for lunch or have the next night. And sometimes I even heat up those leftovers, in a microwave.

For shame! :disappointed:
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

We haven't had a good Death Box thread in quite a while. What a great Debate topic!!!

Every once in a while I would think about the death box and go back to that thread for a laugh. I miss it. I now have to make do with the Flu Shot thread. May it never die!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @WinoGelato @AnvilHead @astronaught miss that thread plus the epic KFC is toxic because it has sodium bicarbonate thread
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

And if for someone eating healthier and losing weight means cranking out a calorie controlled frozen meal, more power to them.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I went a long time without one, I just made do. Didn't really miss it, but got one when I went into a 12 week trial with no hope of getting time to do anything at home but sleep (and often not that), so I prepared by batch cooking a huge amount of food, freezing it in serves and buying a microwave. Voila, because of that microwave the hubster and I got home cooked, nutritious meals every day, despite the fact that I was working 16 hours a day.

I also batch cook my lunches for bringing to work and, *gasp* microwave them.

I don't cook in a microwave, and tend not to defrost in it (because I don't have an expensive microwave so mine if crap for defrosting). But I steam veggies for dinner, or reheat frozen veg in it almost daily as well.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

THANK YOU for digging this up! I kept wanting to post "but... but..." and sort of had to sit on my hands. It was priceless!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

And if for someone eating healthier and losing weight means cranking out a calorie controlled frozen meal, more power to them.

Thank you for your support :)