Just starting Keto and at a total loss.

Options
124»

Replies

• accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Keto, Atkins, Bernstein etc. Are all low carb diets. The first week you will experience a huge loss which is water weight. After that as your appetite decreases you will lose around the same rate as anyone else but only because you lose interest in eating a slab of meat every day (at least that was my experience). Doctors recommend the diet for various reasons. If you have issues with blood sugar it can help there. The problem is that you can't eat that way for life. Some try but few succeed to never eat another potato or pasta or bread. I've done low carb diets and was usually pretty successful at losing but NEVER at maintaining. I finally started just counting calories and have lost over 100 lbs. It is entirely up to you but for lasting weight loss I believe you have to find something you can live with for life. The way I'm eating now will be my lifetime plan with a couple hundred calories more a day than what I am currently eating.

No, YOU can't eat that way for life. Plenty of people have eaten low carb for a very long time, which is very simple to do by just avoiding grains and associated carb sources, which have no unique nutritional value, meaning that almost all carbs come from fruits and vegetables.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Rillablue wrote: »
    Hi ...I just joined here yesterday....I am new to the whole keto thing too, and all the grams and ml have me in a kerfuffle! LOL.....One key thing that I have learned is you need to consume healthy fats not just any fats. As shown in that nice diagram from Ruatine :) This site I came across yesterday has a lot of info https://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet/ and also Dr. Mercola....http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/09/04/ketogenic-nutritional-ketosis.aspx
    If you take in less calories you will lose weight, but you want to eat nutrient dense foods, so your body can function well. Make one small change and keep at it. There are many paths to weight loss and optimum health, we just need to get started to see changes. :)

FYI, Mercola is not a good source of information. He tells people that sunscreen will cause cancer and is an HIV denialist.

Allow me to present The Trouble With Ingredients in Sunscreens.

I use mineral-based sunscreen rather than chemical-based. thinksport is my new favorite brand. Mom got it on Amazon, but I see it is also available at Target and Walmart.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I could not do keto as I don't digest fats well. Yes, I would lose weight with it, very rapidly, but would also be hungry constantly. On a two week vacation where most of the things I got to eat were very fatty meat. The only bread I got was very fatty as well, and generally other food with a fairly high fat content. I constantly felt hungry, the whole time. When I came home I'd lost a lot of weight and looked terrible. Not to mention the frequent loo stops. Besides, good quality fatty products are extremely expensive here. I could buy a week's supply of fruits, veggies and starches for just one day of protein- and fatrich food in acceptable quality. No thanks. But as other have said: everyone is different.
  • megsybeth
    megsybeth Posts: 23 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I love keto and it's the only diet I can follow. But to know if it works you have to actually get into ketosis. I think even being in the same room with a potato, or a banana, or a carrot, will make that hard.

I do well with dairy so cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese (not too much), heavy cream do well for me to get my fat. There's also a reason bacon is such a keto cliche. High fat grass fed beef is a great go-to dinner. I also work in coconut cream and oils but I get burned out on that stuff. Cannot do every day.

Trying to do moderate low carb diets, simple calorie counting I personally crash and burn. I get huge cravings, wind up binging on my kids' pasta. But in ketosis I can have some veggies and bacon and eggs, cheese for breakfast and really not be hungry until one or two, have a fat dense smoothie, then be calm (not starving/binging) at dinner time. Have some meat and veggies. I'll do something like sautéed spinach with bolognese and cheese on top, stirfries, burgers with mayo.

The one thing I don't like is that I do resort to artificial sweetener which I've never wanted to do. I use a few drops of Skinny Girl liquid stevia in a smoothie or with cream and berries for a treat.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I could not do keto as I don't digest fats well. Yes, I would lose weight with it, very rapidly, but would also be hungry constantly. On a two week vacation where most of the things I got to eat were very fatty meat. The only bread I got was very fatty as well, and generally other food with a fairly high fat content. I constantly felt hungry, the whole time. When I came home I'd lost a lot of weight and looked terrible. Not to mention the frequent loo stops. Besides, good quality fatty products are extremely expensive here. I could buy a week's supply of fruits, veggies and starches for just one day of protein- and fatrich food in acceptable quality. No thanks. But as other have said: everyone is different.

I had my gallbladder removed so digesting fats is a problem for me as well, but so far the diet has kept me satiated. I've slipped up because of fighting with these bloody macros. I was less stressed when I just cut out breads and added butter!
  • GlassAngyl
    Options
    megsybeth wrote: »
    I love keto and it's the only diet I can follow. But to know if it works you have to actually get into ketosis. I think even being in the same room with a potato, or a banana, or a carrot, will make that hard.

I do well with dairy so cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese (not too much), heavy cream do well for me to get my fat. There's also a reason bacon is such a keto cliche. High fat grass fed beef is a great go-to dinner. I also work in coconut cream and oils but I get burned out on that stuff. Cannot do every day.

Trying to do moderate low carb diets, simple calorie counting I personally crash and burn. I get huge cravings, wind up binging on my kids' pasta. But in ketosis I can have some veggies and bacon and eggs, cheese for breakfast and really not be hungry until one or two, have a fat dense smoothie, then be calm (not starving/binging) at dinner time. Have some meat and veggies. I'll do something like sautéed spinach with bolognese and cheese on top, stirfries, burgers with mayo.

The one thing I don't like is that I do resort to artificial sweetener which I've never wanted to do. I use a few drops of Skinny Girl liquid stevia in a smoothie or with cream and berries for a treat.

Yuck to carrots.. perfect will power there! Nasty vile root! I am surrounded by bananas and potatoes now. I miss potatoes.. but I haven't craved them yet.

I haven't gone into ketosis yet either.. I have headaches because of everything I buy is low sodium and it doesn't occur to me to salt my food.. (i guess I was getting salt from all the carbs and prepackaged foods I was eating..) But I can manage them with pink salt added to kale chips and eggs.

I'm pretty much nuetral on bananas. They were great in smoothies or as a grab and go, but I have no designs on them. My greatest weakness is pastry type foods. Or cheese cake.. I never liked regular cake and I despise ice cream.

I am shocked I have had so much more will power since starting this diet though. I still want it when I see it but now I can talk myself out of it...and have been. I couldn't do that with just calorie counting! But then, I always felt like I was starving on cico! I could eat till I was misearable and considering throwing it all back up and still feel ravenous.. the kind of hunger that says "You ate fillers, not nutrition." Now I don't feel hungry. Now I eat and I can stop before I feel miserable. I WISH cico worked for me! I'd love to be able to grab a donut.. ONE donut.. and be "done"! But alas, apparently this is my life.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    I admit, measurements in math was not my best subject.. Algebra, Calculus.. easy.. Word problems and anything geometry? Forget it! So these grams and % nonsense has me lost!

I work as a pet sitter and while meeting with a potential client, a veterinarian, he took one look at my weight (300+ lbs) and enthusiastically introduced me to the ketogenic diet. He really was excited about sharing everything it has done for him and his gf.. They swear by it.. so I figured, "Why not?"

From what I understand, I should be eating 60% fat, 30% protein, and 10% carbs.. is this correct? Mfp converts this into grams (45 grams of carbs) which means NOTHING to me.. apparently I keep going over that.. (128grams) .. guess potatoes are carbs?

I am doing "ok" on protein but am having issues meeting the fat requirement?? And the recipes call for weird crap I've never heard of and have no desire to search for. I'm ok with cutting out breads and pastas. I HATE pasta and store bread so rarely ate them anyways.. I do have an unhealthy relationship with pastry type foods though. Again, I can ditch these.. but if anyone can direct me to different meal plans that use normal foods the average non-cooking person can utilize, that would be awesome..

I wouldn't worry about the keto thing. If they lost on it, most likely they were previously over-eating the high-calorie-density starchy stuff that people don't always moderate or portion out correctly (pasta, bread, potatoes, cake,...) and stopped that when going on keto. I tend not to keep starchy stuff in my house, since I suck at moderating it, and it tends to crowd out protein (at my height/weight/activity level) at even moderated levels. If you haven't counted calories before, then I would suggest starting with that before attempting to meet very difficult macro %'s. Note that cutting out ALL the starchy,sugary stuff like bread, pasta, potatoes, corn, fruit would still leave you above keto-diet level carbs.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Also- fiber, which is both very filling and recommended for health is generally found in items that would not be allowable in a keto diet (beans, some fruit).
  • GlassAngyl
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I admit, measurements in math was not my best subject.. Algebra, Calculus.. easy.. Word problems and anything geometry? Forget it! So these grams and % nonsense has me lost!

I work as a pet sitter and while meeting with a potential client, a veterinarian, he took one look at my weight (300+ lbs) and enthusiastically introduced me to the ketogenic diet. He really was excited about sharing everything it has done for him and his gf.. They swear by it.. so I figured, "Why not?"

From what I understand, I should be eating 60% fat, 30% protein, and 10% carbs.. is this correct? Mfp converts this into grams (45 grams of carbs) which means NOTHING to me.. apparently I keep going over that.. (128grams) .. guess potatoes are carbs?

I am doing "ok" on protein but am having issues meeting the fat requirement?? And the recipes call for weird crap I've never heard of and have no desire to search for. I'm ok with cutting out breads and pastas. I HATE pasta and store bread so rarely ate them anyways.. I do have an unhealthy relationship with pastry type foods though. Again, I can ditch these.. but if anyone can direct me to different meal plans that use normal foods the average non-cooking person can utilize, that would be awesome..

I wouldn't worry about the keto thing. If they lost on it, most likely they were previously over-eating the high-calorie-density starchy stuff that people don't always moderate or portion out correctly (pasta, bread, potatoes, cake,...) and stopped that when going on keto. I tend not to keep starchy stuff in my house, since I suck at moderating it, and it tends to crowd out protein (at my height/weight/activity level) at even moderated levels. If you haven't counted calories before, then I would suggest starting with that before attempting to meet very difficult macro %'s. Note that cutting out ALL the starchy,sugary stuff like bread, pasta, potatoes, corn, fruit would still leave you above keto-diet level carbs.

I have tried counting calories.. and measuring, weighing, reweighing.. and everything would be perfect.. except still being hungry.. I started at 1600cal.. was starving so bumped it to 1700..1800..2000.. I would always end up over eating regardless.

There is a difference between stopping eating because you are "full" vs stopping eating because you are satiated. I was "full", but still hungry. Now I'm full and NOT hungry.

Ever have one of those days where you ate all day long and felt like your body needed something but you didn't know what and you just couldn't stop eating because it was searching for that missing nutrient? I was like this everyday. Apparently carbs were crowding out what I needed.

I envy those who don't feel like that ever and have no control problems.

Just cutting out the obvious carbs helped immensely. Keto is proving more difficult than I imangined. Low carb seems more my speed but dang it! I HATE failing at anything! I tried to outstubborn cico for 6 months.. I'm a very determined person! I figured out a way to make this make more sense.. converting macros into calories. "This many calories" in fat.. "This many calories" in carbs. I numbed my carbs from 5% to 10% though. I have to have my creamer.. coffee is vile every other way.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    I have tried counting calories.. and measuring, weighing, reweighing.. and everything would be perfect.. except still being hungry.. I started at 1600cal.. was starving so bumped it to 1700..1800..2000.. I would always end up over eating regardless.

There is a difference between stopping eating because you are "full" vs stopping eating because you are satiated. I was "full", but still hungry. Now I'm full and NOT hungry.

Ever have one of those days where you ate all day long and felt like your body needed something but you didn't know what and you just couldn't stop eating because it was searching for that missing nutrient? I was like this everyday. Apparently carbs were crowding out what I needed.

Just cutting out the obvious carbs helped immensely. Keto is proving more difficult than I imangined. Low carb seems more my speed but dang it! I HATE failing at anything! I tried to outstubborn cico for 6 months.. I'm a very determined person! I figured out a way to make this make more sense.. converting macros into calories. "This many calories" in fat.. "This many calories" in carbs. I numbed my carbs from 5% to 10% though. I have to have my creamer.. coffee is vile every other way.

I am one of those who will crave more starchy stuff if I have starchy stuff, and don't have much wiggle room to get the minimum protein and fat in - so I don't buy bread or pasta or potatoes.- so I wouldn't suggest against low carb, but keto is really, really strict. Beans are very filling, so I wouldn't want to cut those out (but the net carbs in them would be too high for keto). Some non-starchy veggies are also out. That creamer is probably out (even if it is non-dairy and artifically sweetened). And the lactose in some dairy products may be too high.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    If you were calorie counting before, it might be worthwhile to check your macros from then... you may have been really low on fat, protein, and/or fiber - which is definitely easier to rectify than trying to cut carbs down to 5-10%.
  • GlassAngyl
    Options
    If you were calorie counting before, it might be worthwhile to check your macros from then... you may have been really low on fat, protein, and/or fiber - which is definitely easier to rectify than trying to cut carbs down to 5-10%.

I never bothered with macros before but they were set at standard mfp settings when I started. I looked back on one of my non keto days and was over 200g of carbs. Protein is pretty consistent.. most people eat meat. Fats however were ridiculously low. I've never liked fried foods or grease or butter.. I didn't realize I needed those.. (well the healthy versions of those).. I'm still choking down foods cooked in butter. I have yet to brave any oils, like olive or coconut. So far most of my fats are coming from real butter, heavy whipping cream, cheese, and fish. I never thought I'd be sick of cheese..
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I had my gallbladder removed so digesting fats is a problem for me as well, but so far the diet has kept me satiated. I've slipped up because of fighting with these bloody macros. I was less stressed when I just cut out breads and added butter!

You can probably make it simpler by just cutting down on major sources of carbs (like bread or other starches and sugary foods) and adding in some more fats to increase fats. You can also ratchet down gradually over time. I've found that the benefits of lower carb kick in way above keto levels, for me, and being in ketosis really isn't significant for most people.

Just a suggestion, since the numbers bit seems to be stressing you out a little.
  • GlassAngyl
    Options

I am one of those who will crave more starchy stuff if I have starchy stuff, and don't have much wiggle room to get the minimum protein and fat in - so I don't buy bread or pasta or potatoes.- so I wouldn't suggest against low carb, but keto is really, really strict. Beans are very filling, so I wouldn't want to cut those out (but the net carbs in them would be too high for keto). Some non-starchy veggies are also out. That creamer is probably out (even if it is non-dairy and artifically sweetened). And the lactose in some dairy products may be too high.

Yeah.. my creamer is a BIG no no.. but stevia is DISGUSTING! I didn't even use sugar in my coffee.. JUST hazelnut creamer. 2-4 tbs depending on how sweet I wanted it. Serving size is 1tbs and that alone is 5g of carbs. I can do just one serving but I still need it to flavor my coffee. That sebastianos barista crap is just nasty! I can taste the fake sugars in it. It taste like chlorine to me.

Because of my sensitivity to most fake flavoring, it's why I also never flavor my water (yuck), and why I hate sodas ..

If I just do low carb, my one cup of coffee a day shouldn't matter should it? It's not like I chain drink the stuff. I can only handle one cup or I get sick.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

You can probably make it simpler by just cutting down on major sources of carbs (like bread or other starches and sugary foods) and adding in some more fats to increase fats. You can also ratchet down gradually over time. I've found that the benefits of lower carb kick in way above keto levels, for me, and being in ketosis really isn't significant for most people.

Just a suggestion, since the numbers bit seems to be stressing you out a little.

This is a good point. I felt the same benefits when i went from keto to low carb. With keto i was around 40g Carbs, low carb I hovered at 80-100g, I still experienced the appetite control and lack of cravings with low carb, and it was so much easier to stick to.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options

Yeah.. my creamer is a BIG no no.. but stevia is DISGUSTING! I didn't even use sugar in my coffee.. JUST hazelnut creamer. 2-4 tbs depending on how sweet I wanted it. Serving size is 1tbs and that alone is 5g of carbs. I can do just one serving but I still need it to flavor my coffee. That sebastianos barista crap is just nasty! I can taste the fake sugars in it. It taste like chlorine to me.

Because of my sensitivity to most fake flavoring, it's why I also never flavor my water (yuck), and why I hate sodas ..

If I just do low carb, my one cup of coffee a day shouldn't matter should it? It's not like I chain drink the stuff. I can only handle one cup or I get sick.

If you like your coffee and everything's still workin', then by all mean, have your coffee
  • RachelHopeKlouse
    RachelHopeKlouse Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keto works for me because I like the balance of structure and freedom. After you burn off your glycogen stores (bone broth and pickle juice will help with the carb flu) and start burning fat for fuel, the appetite decreases and the cravings disappear. Be careful about residual and hidden carbs (think mints, gum, sweet drinks, etc) Cauliflower is an excellent substitute for potatoes and pizza crust. Celery is a good "chip" substitute (dip in salsa or guacamole.) I personally recommend supplementing with a multivitamin, CLA, flaxseed oil, coconut oil, and fish oil. Drink lots of water!
    I've been doing keto with at least a 500 calorie deficit for 74 days (I started IF about a month in, too. I only eat between 2 pm and 9 pm) and I've lost 29 lbs so far.
    Yes, it's just another diet, but it's one that my body responds well to.
  • tlanger251
    tlanger251 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

i eat 27 grams of net carbs which allows me to have veggies and once in a while i eat popcorn with butter at the end of the day if i have enough grams of carbs left. I sometimes use up some of my carbs with vitamin water zero... eat enough fat so you don't feel hungry, and your body will, in a few weeks start burning your fat for energy. check out the Keto Calculator to figure out your macros . https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

I eat a 4 ounce rib eye for breakfast quite often.. and for snacks I eat salami and cheese, raspberries, grapefruit, sometimes blackberries...i make an amazing keto cheese sauce for broccoli, but you can just melt cheese on your broccoli.. a lot of people rely on avocado for fat, put butter in their coffee (ewww.) Also, there is a brand of tortillas (La Tortilla) that makes a good low-carb tortilla.. after you subtract the fiber, it is like 3 grams of net carbs..I like to fill the tortilla with shredded beef or pork, spinach, or sometimes just melt cheese. once in a while i have pizza and just eat the top with a fork, leaving the crust behind. I don't eat eggs, but eggs and cheese... i guess I'm recommending cheese.. haha..fat really does leave you full and sometimes i find it difficult to even eat my total calorie amount. which after 43 years of being addicted to food, feels amazing. that is what keto does for me..I don't need willpower anymore.. not tempted eat binge.
  • tlanger251
    tlanger251 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am so stinkin' sick & tired of hearing about the whole 'Keto'/low-carb diet phase! It's a sham the diet industry has people hooked on, just like the low-fat craze in the '80's and '90's. Nothing healthy about doing keto and low carb. In fact, being in a ketogenic state is actually dangerous. Why do you think diabetics die when they get ketogenic? Non diabetics aren't immune to the dangers of keto genics either. Carbs are absolutely necessary and healthy. People run into trouble when they OVEReat carbs or eat the wrong type/too many carbs. Overeating any of the macronutrients will lead the body to storing it as fat.

^^THIS, so this^^ A keto diet is really not a magic pill.

I keep getting woo'd for this, but seriously... a keto diet is not some magical way to lose weight. Following a keto diet... with a calorie deficit... will help you lose weight. But ANY kind of diet structure, with a calorie deficit, will do it. If the OP is "at a total loss" I want to make sure she knows that a simple CICO is also an option for her.

Yeah I agree - not "woo" at all. It ISN'T a magic pill. But what we need to understand is that the OP has already stated that they tried "eating less" and failed. So possibly "a simple CICO plan" won't work for them. There are a lot of people that can't stick to "just" CICO. They need more rules, more structure. I think the Keto thing gives them that. My take on it is that all it does is push more protein in the diet so you are more satiated, restrict the carbs (which can be calorie-heavy and not at all satiating) and wind up consuming less calories over all. It's just another way to get there.

I agree with you^ but the fat is actually what keeps you satiated more than protein. eating the right protein amount is necessary so that you do not lose muscle. and to the person above you, you do not know what you are talking about. Ketogenic and ketoacidosis is not the same.. Keto has helped people with Diabetes type 2 actually stop being diabetic... People that were born with Diabetes (type 1) cannot do Keto.. Keto basically helps you regulate your insulin levels, but if your body doesn't make insulin, keto won't help, and it would be dangerous for them.