Why do I keep gaining weight???

Options
Hi! I'm currently 170.6 pounds (according to my weigh-in this morning) and have a 36% body fat. I'm trying to get into the Army and need to either be at 147 or 32% body fat before I can start my testing. I was doing pretty well with losing about two pounds a week, but now I'm gaining those pounds back. I workout twice a day with one session as cardio and the other as a HIIT workout involving kickboxing at 9Round. I also try to keep me calorie intake around 1200. Why am I still gaining weight? If I use weights, I try not to go above 10 pounds. Please help!

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Open your diary. How often do you weigh yourself? Did you have high sodium pizza last night? TOM? Beer night last night?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm currently 170.6 pounds (according to my weigh-in this morning) and have a 36% body fat. I'm trying to get into the Army and need to either be at 147 or 32% body fat before I can start my testing. I was doing pretty well with losing about two pounds a week, but now I'm gaining those pounds back. I workout twice a day with one session as cardio and the other as a HIIT workout involving kickboxing at 9Round. I also try to keep me calorie intake around 1200. Why am I still gaining weight? If I use weights, I try not to go above 10 pounds. Please help!

why are you "trying not to go above 10 pounds" ??????
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How much have you lost? Over what period of time?
    How much have you gained? Over what period of time?
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My guess would be she specified the thing about not going over 10 pounds just in order to stave off one of those 'muscle weighs more than fat' comments.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

why are you "trying not to go above 10 pounds" ??????

I'd like to know as well.

Don't be afraid to lift heavy as hell.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back all of your exercise calories? MFB is notorious for way over-estimating calories burned by exercise. Make sure you are logging every single thing you are eating or drinking and then only eat back about half of your exercise calories. I am almost completely sedentary, am eating 1,200 calories a day and am averaging a weight loss of a pound a week. I guarantee you, you are not in a calorie deficit either because you are not logging accurately or you are eating more than your body is burning. Oh, and go ahead and lift the heavy weights. You will need the extra upper body strength when you are in basic training.
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    When I was in my mid 20's (so about 30 years ago!) I did some bodybuilding for about a year and a half. No, I did not get bulky but I had some serious shoulder action going on that some might not like. I deliberately worked out with guys because I knew they trained more intensely so I was lifting some fairly heavy weight. I am 5'7" with a medium-large frame and weighed about 135 and wore a size 5 or 7! So do not be afraid of heavy weight. Most women do not have the proper hormones to build big muscles!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ltkasmala wrote: »
    When I was in my mid 20's (so about 30 years ago!) I did some bodybuilding for about a year and a half. No, I did not get bulky but I had some serious shoulder action going on that some might not like. I deliberately worked out with guys because I knew they trained more intensely so I was lifting some fairly heavy weight. I am 5'7" with a medium-large frame and weighed about 135 and wore a size 5 or 7! So do not be afraid of heavy weight. Most women do not have the proper hormones to build big muscles!

Hah. I relate. When I was lifting I started having issues with the shoulders/upper arms of coats but the rest of me got smaller lol. It might be because I was also doing boxing a lot however. I will say that lifting did not make me bulky. I was not much larger than I am now yet I was 12-14 Ibs heavier.