Why are you doing it!

Options

Replies

• L0Lnikki
    L0Lnikki Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    kdb2bfit wrote: »
    This may sound selfish but I'm doing this for myself. I hate the girl I see in the mirror. I hate my weight gain and my belly flab. I'm disgusted with myself. But slowly getting over that.

Hey you're not the only one. I have many reasons why I need to lose weight, this is one of them. Looking good in clothes would help self love, ya know? We want to love our healthy selves & gosh darn it we'll get there!
  • mom2pne
    mom2pne Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am doing it for my 5 boys and my grandson and the hopes of trying one more time for a girl. I also want to be fit for when I become a teacher in 2 years.
  • David_Marquiss
    David_Marquiss Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    eugedaman wrote: »
    My wife left me for another man so turned to make myself a better person. Lost 10kg in a year and on a 260 day streak

Hell yeah man! Keep it up, if she cant handle you at your worst she definitely doesnt deserve you at your best. Glad to see your taking the pain and becoming stronger because of it!
  • David_Marquiss
    Options
    cenafan wrote: »
    I'm starting again. I lost almost 90lbs 2 1/2 years ago. I felt amazing. Happy. Comfortable in my skin for the first time. Then suffered a serious back injury. Couldn't do anything. Fell into a bad depression. And tried to soothe with food. Put back on 85lbs. Finally coming out of my funk. Finally have to ok to try yoga again. I want to feel happy again. I want to feel comfortable again. Down 18.6lbs since starting. Very determined.

Great thing about doing something once, you know you can do it again! Keep it up!!!
  • imeuge
    imeuge Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    eugedaman wrote: »
    My wife left me for another man so turned to make myself a better person. Lost 10kg in a year and on a 260 day streak

Hell yeah man! Keep it up, if she cant handle you at your worst she definitely doesnt deserve you at your best. Glad to see your taking the pain and becoming stronger because of it!

Thank you David! Really appreciate your kind words, only yesterday I learnt she was having an affair since the start of this year. I've lost 10kg and no intention to stop now!
  • David_Marquiss
    Options
    Ultio70 wrote: »
    I remember being a beast. I ran 6 min miles, could easily lift more than my body weight. I was a soldier in the 101st Airborne and felt like it. One long day at work changed everything. I ended up with an open compound fracture of my right femur just above my knee, my right elbow dislocated, all the bones on my right hand broken and a penetrating brain injury. I was told by everyone I was done, didn't matter what I was doing I was done. The VA doesn't even offer me physical therapy just long-term pain management. On June 7th this year I snapped. I told people with college degrees who think they're pretty important that they were wrong. I started working out at home doing push-ups sit-ups squats and planking every day. Now I'm working out in training martial arts and conditioning twice a day 3 times a week and once a day 3 days a week. I've lost 18 pounds who knows how much muscle I've gained never mind the mental clarity.

I am not done

Thank you for serving and your sacrifice man. Really inspiring. Your destiny is in your hands and your story will be how YOU write it. People need leaders like you in this world
  • David_Marquiss
    Options
    Soooo , I've started so many times, and got to goal once. I've around 28lbs to lose, my motivations this time...
    I'm a mum of 3 (twin girls and a boy), I don't want any of my babbas to have body hang-ups or any inclination that MAMMA has hang-ups!
    I have a family wedding on the 31st December, this gives me a time specific goal.
    I'm newly single, so feel I need to lose my mummy tummy to help with my confidence and start feeling good about myself after years of not feeling that great!
    I want to run a half marathon, so need to improve my fitness.
    I like the accountability of MFP <3
    Oh....and I have a wardrobe full of clothes I'd like to feel good in :D

My wife and I just bad our baby this past Easter, shes just now starting to fit back into her whole wardrobe and shes loving it! I believe in you!!
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    There are many reasons that I have written on my profile page, some are selfish, some are selfless. I think they all can merge into one singe cause - to get the most of this (Earth) ride while it lasts. To feel, move, look and experience the best I can.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    For my health, plain and simple!
  • David_Marquiss
    Options
    daneejela wrote: »
    There are many reasons that I have written on my profile page, some are selfish, some are selfless. I think they all can merge into one singe cause - to get the most of this (Earth) ride while it lasts. To feel, move, look and experience the best I can.

For everyone who says they are being selfish.... YOU'RE NOT! Focusing on yourself is a good thing, you have to learn to be happy with yourself, proud and love who you are to then truly love someone else. You will be able to give more, you will think of others more, you wont care about what people around you think and realize that the people who do matter wont mind and the people that mind dont matter. So no, your not selfish, your just focused on growing so you will be able to share and give more. Your bettering yourself.
  • David_Marquiss
    Options
    hthrm3 wrote: »
    Great thread. I was always very fit and healthy. Five years ago my husband was diagnosed with leukemia, and at that point it was all about him. It needed to be as he needed around the clock care. I totally neglected myself and gained about 70 pounds. I lost him about 18 months ago. In May I decided that it was time to re invent myself, and let it be about me. Trying to get myself back. I am 17 pounds down and going strong. This community is so inspiring and when I want to quit I just get on these boards for motivation. I wish everyone the best of luck, and positive energy. Never quit!

So sorry for your loss, I can not imagine going through that. Just know hes looking down on you and he is proud of the person you are becoming, think of how he would want you to feel, I guarantee he wants you to be happy, do it for him as well, he is watching you overcome your struggles, watching you become stronger, hes cheering you on. Bless you, excited to see you grow.
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    My motivation is my health, my mental health :) Emotional intensity disorder or BPD has me struggling with emotions and the thoughts that go with them. Hate is such a harsh emotion to feel when I look at myself and I don't think I deserve it....
  • silverstarrlyte
    silverstarrlyte Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Well, when I was young, I was very fit. I loved working out, and had a natural lean body, that with a little work, i was able to keep well into my late 30's (I had a 6 pack, and cut arms and legs from lifting weights). Then the 40's happened, along with lots of life issues. Divorce, I lost a bunch of weight and was running alll the time, then I ripped my calf muscle almost in half. Now I am 45, and gained all the weight I lost back, and a little more. SO. I am trying to figure all this out again, that was easy for me when I was younger. I just want to be able to fit into pretty clothes, be able to bend over my legs without feeling like I cant breathe, and be healthy again!!!
  • Dovely40
    Dovely40 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I want to age gracefully, be the fun Grandma that is active and up to try anything the children and grandchildren suggest. I want to live a long and healthy life.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I mainly started because I didn't love myself. I wasn't happy in my body and had found it really difficult to love myself or feel positive about myself. I want to feel good about myself for once and going on this fitness journey has really helped me gain some more love and respect for myself.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Ultio70 wrote: »
    I remember being a beast. I ran 6 min miles, could easily lift more than my body weight. I was a soldier in the 101st Airborne and felt like it. One long day at work changed everything. I ended up with an open compound fracture of my right femur just above my knee, my right elbow dislocated, all the bones on my right hand broken and a penetrating brain injury. I was told by everyone I was done, didn't matter what I was doing I was done. The VA doesn't even offer me physical therapy just long-term pain management. On June 7th this year I snapped. I told people with college degrees who think they're pretty important that they were wrong. I started working out at home doing push-ups sit-ups squats and planking every day. Now I'm working out in training martial arts and conditioning twice a day 3 times a week and once a day 3 days a week. I've lost 18 pounds who knows how much muscle I've gained never mind the mental clarity.

I am not done

No sir, I don't believe you are done. Not by a long shot.

Do it!

• Sthsidirish
    Sthsidirish Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I honestly didn't start for myself. Show of hands, who else spent years taking care of others at the expense of yourself? While I had known for a long time that I needed to lose weight and get healthy I honestly just didn't care enough to try. Too many serious issues to go into so we'll leave it at not caring. Then back at the beginning of May my wife of nearly 20 years decided she wanted to shed some extra pounds. A week into it I asked her if it would be easier for her if she had a partner. She said yes so I joined her. Fast forward 3 1/2 months and as of last Friday's "scale check" I'm down 44 pounds and a little over 1/3 of the way to my goal. I'm feeling great and for the first time, in probably forever, I believe I can do this and will be successful. As for the reasons... initially it was to be supportive and a cheerleader for my wife. It's still that reason but I'd have to say about the time I dropped that third pant size it became about me too.

P.S. For anyone new to this journey. If you are doing it with your wife as I am.....be careful about sharing your successes with her. The unfairness of the male versus female/muscle mass/weight loss thing is real and if she isn't losing as fast as you...and you bring up your loses...well, I hope you have a comfy couch, lol.
  • David_Marquiss
    Options
    I honestly didn't start for myself. Show of hands, who else spent years taking care of others at the expense of yourself? While I had known for a long time that I needed to lose weight and get healthy I honestly just didn't care enough to try. Too many serious issues to go into so we'll leave it at not caring. Then back at the beginning of May my wife of nearly 20 years decided she wanted to shed some extra pounds. A week into it I asked her if it would be easier for her if she had a partner. She said yes so I joined her. Fast forward 3 1/2 months and as of last Friday's "scale check" I'm down 44 pounds and a little over 1/3 of the way to my goal. I'm feeling great and for the first time, in probably forever, I believe I can do this and will be successful. As for the reasons... initially it was to be supportive and a cheerleader for my wife. It's still that reason but I'd have to say about the time I dropped that third pant size it became about me too.

P.S. For anyone new to this journey. If you are doing it with your wife as I am.....be careful about sharing your successes with her. The unfairness of the male versus female/muscle mass/weight loss thing is real and if she isn't losing as fast as you...and you bring up your loses...well, I hope you have a comfy couch, lol.

You are an amazing life partner man, there needs to be more men who step up with love and respect for thier wifes!! You are an awesome example!