How many carbs can you have?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that requires carb watching, don't stress much about it, just stay in your calorie goals!
  • hj_man7211
    hj_man7211 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    <3 Thanks everyone. wow. What amazing responses. I feel a lot better about my choice's. i have really been vigilant on logging exact calories. I also eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies, specially leafy greens. I will embrace the carb and teach my goal.
    Thanks again everyone. <3
    <3<3<3<3
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    mnalsa83 wrote: »
    I've done quite a bit of research into Low Carb lifestyles in the past year, which lead me to do it.
    Our bodies burn carb/sugar for energy before anything else we consume. Then Proteins (because what our body doesn't digest, turns to sugar) and lastly Fat.

What is posted here is not accurate. Particularly the part about burning carbs before anything else. That is a low carb myth that the scientific date does not support.

Our bodies are alternating between energy substrates all day long. Fat and glucose are being burned all day. Protein is converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis only in the absence of enough carbs only.

All energy substrates are converted to fat in an energy surplus for future use. No energy substrate is converted to fat in an energy deficit. It still all comes down to calories in/ calories out.

I think it was fairly accurate. If you eat carbs, stabilizing blood glucose levels is a priority for the body for a while. Carbs are dealt with first - they are converted to energy the quickest.

Fats can be used first but generally in a fat adapted body - in someone who is normally using fat as the primary fuel source.

I agree that protein is not converted to glucose often. It is seen in people in the first days of a ketogenic diet when carb intake is low, but then it is used less and fats are used more readily.

With all due respect, it is not accurate. At rest or in low activity states the body's primary fuel substrate is fatty acids. This include anything from sleep to a sedentary state to low intensity activities, the states we are in for the majority of a day!
    From Clinical Nutrition ESPEN (full link will be at the bottom.
    "The average resting RQ of 0.82 thus reflects that the human body derives more than half of its energy from fatty acids and most of the rest from glucose"
    As exercise intensity increases, the mix changes toward more glycogen utilization. Why this myth about glucose being depleted first before fats utilization is perpetuated I don't understand. But the actual science does not support this at all.
    http://www.clinicalnutritionespen.com/article/S1751-4991(11)00006-0/fulltext

Spot on. Vast majority of the time it's a mixture of fuels, in parallel not series....

My VO2 max test showed I was fuelling from a majority of fat up to a HR of 130bpm - that's my personal 50/50 point of fat/carb use. From there upwards carbs provided the majority.

Plus the myth about needing to be fat adapted to burn fat. You can become better fat adapted for exercise through diet or training but it's not a yes/no switch.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I've done quite a bit of research into Low Carb lifestyles in the past year, which lead me to do it.
    Our bodies burn carb/sugar for energy before anything else we consume. Then Proteins (because what our body doesn't digest, turns to sugar) and lastly Fat.

What is posted here is not accurate. Particularly the part about burning carbs before anything else. That is a low carb myth that the scientific date does not support.

Our bodies are alternating between energy substrates all day long. Fat and glucose are being burned all day. Protein is converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis only in the absence of enough carbs only.

All energy substrates are converted to fat in an energy surplus for future use. No energy substrate is converted to fat in an energy deficit. It still all comes down to calories in/ calories out.

I think it was fairly accurate. If you eat carbs, stabilizing blood glucose levels is a priority for the body for a while. Carbs are dealt with first - they are converted to energy the quickest.

Fats can be used first but generally in a fat adapted body - in someone who is normally using fat as the primary fuel source.

I agree that protein is not converted to glucose often. It is seen in people in the first days of a ketogenic diet when carb intake is low, but then it is used less and fats are used more readily.

With all due respect, it is not accurate. At rest or in low activity states the body's primary fuel substrate is fatty acids. This include anything from sleep to a sedentary state to low intensity activities, the states we are in for the majority of a day!
    From Clinical Nutrition ESPEN (full link will be at the bottom.
    "The average resting RQ of 0.82 thus reflects that the human body derives more than half of its energy from fatty acids and most of the rest from glucose"
    As exercise intensity increases, the mix changes toward more glycogen utilization. Why this myth about glucose being depleted first before fats utilization is perpetuated I don't understand. But the actual science does not support this at all.
    http://www.clinicalnutritionespen.com/article/S1751-4991(11)00006-0/fulltext

Spot on. Vast majority of the time it's a mixture of fuels, in parallel not series....

My VO2 max test showed I was fuelling from a majority of fat up to a HR of 130bpm - that's my personal 50/50 point of fat/carb use. From there upwards carbs provided the majority.

Plus the myth about needing to be fat adapted to burn fat. You can become better fat adapted for exercise through diet or training but it's not a yes/no switch.
    Exactly and that is the key point that gets ignored by keto advocates. FTR, I have nothing against others doing keto for whatever reason they choose. I have no interest in doing it. What does bother me though is the use of this kind of misinformation and myth to advocate for keto. Use facts please. Because....physiology.

PS: I fuel primarily from fat up to about 120.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Bingo. The people who don't believe this need to read up on the Krebs cycle.

https://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/nutrient-utilization-in-humans-metabolism-pathways-14234029