Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    hale03071 wrote: »
    hale03071 wrote: »
    A keto diet is considered anti-inflammatory, so yes, there is scientific proof that it reduces inflammation in your body (inflammation is what causes diseases like cancer and alzheimers). My Harvard trained GI doctor has me on a keto type diet and I've lost 50 lbs in about 10 months. Went from 235 to 185 and I am a 5'9" female, no exercise whatsoever until the last month. So yes it works, it depends on you what plans is "easiest" for you.

you lost because you were in a deficit. if you were to eat over your maintenance calories every day you would gain weight. weight is lost in a deficit no matter what way of eating you have(vegan,vegetarian,paleo,lchf,hclf).

Yes, I am aware of that since I have greater than a 5th grade education. I never stated otherwise. I'm saying YES I lost weight on a keto diet and YES it has health benefits. I don't understand why some people get their panties in a twist over some people finding success in a different way than they may have.

not getting panties in a twist and I lost weight on keto it just was not a healthy choice for me to continue due to my health issues. some people think keto is a magical way to lose weight and that you can lose weight even eating over maintenance. and I didnt knock your education or say you had a lack of it, you did.
  • wonderflair
    wonderflair Posts: 19 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    optishot wrote: »

do you have any links to back up the claims that keto is anti aging,anti cancer and so on?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4215472/
    "This review summarizes the evidence supporting the hypothesis that ketogenic diets may be safely used as an adjuvant therapy to conventional radiation and chemotherapies and discusses the proposed mechanisms by which ketogenic diets may enhance cancer cell therapeutic responses...

Increased recognition of the safety and efficacy of using ketogenic diets in the treatment of epilepsy has resulted in successful application of this dietary intervention to other disorders. The most notable and well-studied use of a ketogenic diet is for the treatment of obesity popularized by Dr. Robert Atkins (see Fig. 1) (Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution 1972). Ketogenic diets have also been shown to be beneficial in the treatment of patients with glucose transporter defects and other inborn metabolic disorders [24]. The diet is reported to show promise in slowing the progression of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [25], and there is a growing body of evidence suggesting ketogenic diets may be beneficial in other neurodegenerative diseases including Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease [26]. In addition, there are case reports and small case studies indicating improvement in patients with autism [27] depression [28], polycystic ovary syndrome [29], and type 2 diabetes mellitus [18]...

Recently, ketogenic diets have been studied as an adjuvant to cancer therapy in both animal models and human case reports. As early as 1987, Tisdale et al. saw decreased tumor weight and improved cachexia in mice with colon adenocarcinoma xenografts eating a ketogenic diet [30]. Additional studies have shown that ketogenic diets reduce tumor growth and improve survival in animal models of malignant glioma [31–33], colon cancer [34], gastric cancer [35], and prostate cancer [36–38]. Furthermore, ketogenic diets have been hypothesized, with some supporting evidence, to potentiate the effects of radiation in malignant glioma models [39] as well as in non-small cell lung cancer models [5]. Fasting, which also induces a state of ketosis, has been shown to enhance responsiveness to chemotherapy in pre-clinical cancer therapy models as well as possibly ameliorating some of the normal tissue side effects seen with chemotherapy [40]. Fasting cycles are also reported to retard the growth of tumors and sensitize a range of cancer cell types to chemotherapy [40,41]."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2367001/
    "Moreover, there is evidence from uncontrolled clinical trials and studies in animal models that the ketogenic diet can provide symptomatic and disease-modifying activity in a broad range of neurodegenerative disorders including Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease, and may also be protective in traumatic brain injury and stroke. These observations are supported by studies in animal models and isolated cells that show that ketone bodies, especially β-hydroxybutyrate, confer neuroprotection against diverse types of cellular injury."

adjuvant:: one that helps or facilitates: such as
    a : an ingredient (as in a prescription or a solution) that modifies the action of the principal ingredient
    b : something (such as a drug or method) that enhances the effectiveness of medical treatment used chemotherapy as an adjuvant to surgery
    c : a substance (such as one added to a vaccine) enhancing the immune response to an antigen

so with that said its used in conjuction(in addition) with say chemo and other therapies.I know ketos origin was to be used for those with seizure disorders and then they found that they also help those with type 2,pcos and insulin resistance. as for parkinsons and alzheimers most of those studies it states were done on rats/mice and the others were uncontrolled studies. it says nowhere in the post above that it involved humans. humans and rats are two different beasts in more ways that one.

o therefore keto alone is not going to prevent or put your cancer into remission. doesnt mean you will age more gracefully either. There have been many people who have done keto diets and still died from cancer. if keto was the cure all then most oncologist would recommend keto along with radiation/chemo. keto is just a another way of eating. sure for some it has its benefits but its not for everyone and not a cure all for everything.

Who claimed it was a cure-all for everything? I read back thinking I missed that, but I couldn't find it in the thread. Also, while I can certainly appreciate the difference between a cure and a complementary therapy, anyone should be able to see that tumors which are basically fed by sugar (had you read the links, you would have seen the information to which I am referring), will either slow their growth or stop growing in the absence of sugar. Sugar is not Keto. http://www.nbcnews.com/health/cancer/here-s-how-sugar-might-fuel-growth-cancer-n488456

And although I agree that rats differ from humans, obviously, I think it would be quite ignorant to throw out all scientific testing that is first conducted on animals on that basis alone. It is the preliminary testing done, and generally is a very good predictor of what we can expect in human trials.
  • wonderflair
    Options
    Just to expound a bit on that point, ketone bodies - ketones, produced as a waste by product during ketosis, as well as during illness/fever- have neuroprotective properties! So if someone says Keto doesn't have the power to cure disease, it looks as if they may be entirely mistaken.
  • Nathancb1993
    Nathancb1993 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Listen to this Joe Rogan podcast. Very informative and scientific review on the ketogenic diet and nutrition in general. http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/dom-dagostino
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Keto diets are not necessary unless you happen to suffer from epilepsy. Weight loss is a matter of CICO (calories in vs. calories out). You can go about achieving this ratio favorably any number of ways, including the keto way, but it only works if it fulfills CICO.

Keto and similar fad diets are interesting in that they tend to put forth nutritional "musts" that are not really musts to maintain optimal health, and furthermore demonize nutritional macros which are perfectly healthy. What's more disturbing is the number of outlandish claims many people seem to attribute to the diet. For whatever reason, the Keto crowd seems far more prone to nonsense than supporters of other fad diets out there. I see some evidence of this above, and it's sadly fairly systemic among this crowd.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited August 2017
    Options

do you have any links to back up the claims that keto is anti aging,anti cancer and so on?

"This review summarizes the evidence supporting the hypothesis that ketogenic diets may be safely used as an adjuvant therapy to conventional radiation and chemotherapies and discusses the proposed mechanisms by which ketogenic diets may enhance cancer cell therapeutic responses...

Increased recognition of the safety and efficacy of using ketogenic diets in the treatment of epilepsy has resulted in successful application of this dietary intervention to other disorders. The most notable and well-studied use of a ketogenic diet is for the treatment of obesity popularized by Dr. Robert Atkins (see Fig. 1) (Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution 1972). Ketogenic diets have also been shown to be beneficial in the treatment of patients with glucose transporter defects and other inborn metabolic disorders [24]. The diet is reported to show promise in slowing the progression of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [25], and there is a growing body of evidence suggesting ketogenic diets may be beneficial in other neurodegenerative diseases including Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease [26]. In addition, there are case reports and small case studies indicating improvement in patients with autism [27] depression [28], polycystic ovary syndrome [29], and type 2 diabetes mellitus [18]...

Recently, ketogenic diets have been studied as an adjuvant to cancer therapy in both animal models and human case reports. As early as 1987, Tisdale et al. saw decreased tumor weight and improved cachexia in mice with colon adenocarcinoma xenografts eating a ketogenic diet [30]. Additional studies have shown that ketogenic diets reduce tumor growth and improve survival in animal models of malignant glioma [31–33], colon cancer [34], gastric cancer [35], and prostate cancer [36–38]. Furthermore, ketogenic diets have been hypothesized, with some supporting evidence, to potentiate the effects of radiation in malignant glioma models [39] as well as in non-small cell lung cancer models [5]. Fasting, which also induces a state of ketosis, has been shown to enhance responsiveness to chemotherapy in pre-clinical cancer therapy models as well as possibly ameliorating some of the normal tissue side effects seen with chemotherapy [40]. Fasting cycles are also reported to retard the growth of tumors and sensitize a range of cancer cell types to chemotherapy [40,41]."

"Moreover, there is evidence from uncontrolled clinical trials and studies in animal models that the ketogenic diet can provide symptomatic and disease-modifying activity in a broad range of neurodegenerative disorders including Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease, and may also be protective in traumatic brain injury and stroke. These observations are supported by studies in animal models and isolated cells that show that ketone bodies, especially β-hydroxybutyrate, confer neuroprotection against diverse types of cellular injury."

a : an ingredient (as in a prescription or a solution) that modifies the action of the principal ingredient
    b : something (such as a drug or method) that enhances the effectiveness of medical treatment used chemotherapy as an adjuvant to surgery
    c : a substance (such as one added to a vaccine) enhancing the immune response to an antigen

so with that said its used in conjuction(in addition) with say chemo and other therapies.I know ketos origin was to be used for those with seizure disorders and then they found that they also help those with type 2,pcos and insulin resistance. as for parkinsons and alzheimers most of those studies it states were done on rats/mice and the others were uncontrolled studies. it says nowhere in the post above that it involved humans. humans and rats are two different beasts in more ways that one.

o therefore keto alone is not going to prevent or put your cancer into remission. doesnt mean you will age more gracefully either. There have been many people who have done keto diets and still died from cancer. if keto was the cure all then most oncologist would recommend keto along with radiation/chemo. keto is just a another way of eating. sure for some it has its benefits but its not for everyone and not a cure all for everything.

Who claimed it was a cure-all for everything? I read back thinking I missed that, but I couldn't find it in the thread. Also, while I can certainly appreciate the difference between a cure and a complementary therapy, anyone should be able to see that tumors which are basically fed by sugar (had you read the links, you would have seen the information to which I am referring), will either slow their growth or stop growing in the absence of sugar. Sugar is not Keto. http://www.nbcnews.com/health/cancer/here-s-how-sugar-might-fuel-growth-cancer-n488456

And although I agree that rats differ from humans, obviously, I think it would be quite ignorant to throw out all scientific testing that is first conducted on animals on that basis alone. It is the preliminary testing done, and generally is a very good predictor of what we can expect in human trials.

really quoting nbc news? there is no proof that keto or any other way of eating cures cancer or any other disease. sure like I said it can help with seizures,diabetes,pcos and insulin resistance but there arent enough studies proving it cures cancer or anything else. as for sugar causing tumors to grow you do know that sugar is a carb and fruits,veggies,whole grains and things like that are carbs right? until a study and more info is done where humans are involved then the studies will be more accurate. I have known many who have had cancer and were told to try different diets and guess what? none of those people lived. not to mention no matter what you do if you are going to get cancer you are going to get it. some of it is caused by genetic defects. saying a diet can cure a disease which atm has no cure is ridiculous.

so you are saying that people with tumors should eat only meats,oils and fats so their tumors dont grow? oh and another thing. my sister had a brain tumor for years only we didnt know because it grew ever so slowly. it was causing her seizures. she eats nothing but sugar. shes almost 30 and probably eats half her weight in sugar and it didnt make her tumor grow. she had no chemo or no radiation. it was able to be removed by laser sugery.she never once changed her diet either.since shes had it out she has had no more seizures and she has no new growth.
  • wonderflair
    edited August 2017
    Options

really quoting nbc news? there is no proof that keto or any other way of eating cures cancer or any other disease. sure like I said it can help with seizures,diabetes,pcos and insulin resistance but there arent enough studies proving it cures cancer or anything else. as for sugar causing tumors to grow you do know that sugar is a carb and fruits,veggies,whole grains and things like that are carbs right? until a study and more info is done where humans are involved then the studies will be more accurate. I have known many who have had cancer and were told to try different diets and guess what? none of those people lived. not to mention no matter what you do if you are going to get cancer you are going to get it. some of it is caused by genetic defects. saying a diet can cure a disease which atm has no cure is ridiculous.

so you are saying that people with tumors should eat only meats,oils and fats so their tumors dont grow? oh and another thing. my sister had a brain tumor for years only we didnt know because it grew ever so slowly. it was causing her seizures. she eats nothing but sugar. shes almost 30 and probably eats half her weight in sugar and it didnt make her tumor grow. she had no chemo or no radiation. it was able to be removed by laser sugery.she never once changed her diet either.since shes had it out she has had no more seizures and she has no new growth.

You cite your sister's situation, which is anecdotal at best, but criticize the article from NBC, which at least cited one of the authors of the study. Ok then. Since Google doesn't work for you, let me link you directly to the Lorenzo Cohen/MD Anderson article: https://www.mdanderson.org/newsroom/2015/12/sugar-in-western-diets.html

FYI, I very clearly did not say nor imply that people with tumors should only eat meats, oils and fats (by the way, oils are fats).

I didn't say that Keto cures those diseases. You asked whether there were any studies showing that Keto was anti-cancer, etc... and I linked to some promising data. That's all. I'm not here to tell you that you should be doing Keto. And I don't believe that Keto will save the world. But I do personally believe there is enough data that a Ketogenic diet is worth considering and evaluating for a broad range of reasons. And if you don't like it - great! Don't do it! But there is no basis for your continued denial of any potential health benefits of Keto on diseases. ;)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    @wonderflair the study states the sucrose is what increased tumor growth. sucrose is found in dates,sugar beets,peas,mangoes and peaches.sucrose occurs naturally in all fruits and some veggies, so to me thats saying you should avoid those foods to avoid them to prevent tumor growth,it also states fructose, again naturally occurring in fruits and veggies. It also states-How dietary sucrose and fructose induces 12-HETE and whether it has a direct or indirect effect remains in question.” so that means the verdict is still out and they arent sure. On another note everyone has cells in their body that can become cancerous. whether or not they are activated is another thing. anything can trigger it.

with this study that is like saying that those who are vegan or vegetarian would likely have a higher risk factor of cancer because they are eating a lot of fructose and sucrose which is found in the plant foods they eat. so if they have tumors they will grow because of it.

which is why I said that you are basically telling people to just eat meats,fats and oils because what is left that doesnt contain these sugars?. years ago red meat causes cancer and allowed tumors to grow and now its sugar in any form? I mean come on. It doesnt matter how you eat if you are going to get cancer you are going to get it,some people again may have genetic issues that may cause them to be a higher risk but doesnt mean they will develop it.

I have done it(keto) in the past(before I knew I had a certain health issue) and it made me so sick I could not even get out of bed or do anything around the house, and raised my cholesterol through the roof due to my health issue. Id rather eat my high carbs and low fat which makes me feel better and my cholesterol is now normal as well as several other health markers. If someone has healthy issues and want to try keto I am not knocking it as I said it can help with some health issues. But I am not going to believe studies done on rats when over time those studies are often revisited and found to be bunk, like eggs causing cholesterol to rise and being bad for your heart now its fine unless you have a condition like mine. If you want to eat keto then eat keto thats your choice but its not a special diet unless you have the issues that is has been PROVEN to treat(not cure or prevent).
  • wonderflair
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey - I am truly sorry you had such a bad experience with Keto. I am also glad you've discovered your underlying health issue, and have hopefully found a way of eating and living in which you thrive. <3 I am certain there are many diets that would be contraindicated for people with any number of health problems. I totally agree that everyone has to do what works for them. I, too, am reluctant to put faith in preliminary studies, but as I know that familial ALS is potentially in my genetics since 2 of my aunts have passed away from it, I continue to be hopeful when it comes to diets and treatments.

Keto has resulted in changes in my body composition years of CICO and intense workouts could not achieve. Metabolic and inflammatory issues can be difficult to diagnose and treat, but for me, Keto has done what nothing else could. Doctors and nutritionists both oversimplified and shamed me, claiming it must be too many calories, or LYING, or a very slim chance of too FEW calories. This resulted in a huge mistrust of my body, and the disappointment that it was betraying me. There is no guessing with Keto. If it is working, measurements/weight/health improve. Period. Keto has taught me to again trust my body. When it signals hunger, I know that I am hungry. When I crave salty foods, I know I need salt for my electrolyte levels. I even seem to know when I need a few more carbs, or fat, or protein. I trust my body. I am grateful to it for the incredible work it has done to carry and nurture my babies. And while I am thankful for the weight loss and better health, I am so grateful to Keto for restoring that relationship.

We are all so varied as humans, with experiences and environments that affect us all differently, and we should each find the path that works for us. ;)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey - I am truly sorry you had such a bad experience with Keto. I am also glad you've discovered your underlying health issue, and have hopefully found a way of eating and living in which you thrive. <3 I am certain there are many diets that would be contraindicated for people with any number of health problems. I totally agree that everyone has to do what works for them. I, too, am reluctant to put faith in preliminary studies, but as I know that familial ALS is potentially in my genetics since 2 of my aunts have passed away from it, I continue to be hopeful when it comes to diets and treatments.

Keto has resulted in changes in my body composition years of CICO and intense workouts could not achieve. Metabolic and inflammatory issues can be difficult to diagnose and treat, but for me, Keto has done what nothing else could. Doctors and nutritionists both oversimplified and shamed me, claiming it must be too many calories, or LYING, or a very slim chance of too FEW calories. This resulted in a huge mistrust of my body, and the disappointment that it was betraying me. There is no guessing with Keto. If it is working, measurements/weight/health improve. Period. Keto has taught me to again trust my body. When it signals hunger, I know that I am hungry. When I crave salty foods, I know I need salt for my electrolyte levels. I even seem to know when I need a few more carbs, or fat, or protein. I trust my body. I am grateful to it for the incredible work it has done to carry and nurture my babies. And while I am thankful for the weight loss and better health, I am so grateful to Keto for restoring that relationship.

We are all so varied as humans, with experiences and environments that affect us all differently, and we should each find the path that works for us. ;)

I am glad it works for you and I dont have anything against keto or any diet as long as its a healthy one.I know ALS is awful. I had a family friend die from complications from it a few years ago. he suffered and he was a man who was always busy and active, I have RA so I know about the inflammatory issues and thankfully mine arent bad yet. lifting and working out keeps the pain and other issues at bay for me. no meds yet.
  • jasonsdad1
    jasonsdad1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    wow, this is the first thread I have read through, and I must say, it will be my last. So much misinformation, baloney, and bickering, I am completely turned off. Thank you folks, best of luck!!
  • drgnfyre
    drgnfyre Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For me keto makes me feel better and I don't feel hungry. So, in that sense it helps me lose weight, because I don't have cravings and i don't over eat. I also am allergic to a LOT of carbs including grains fruit n veg. So for me, this makes sense. Before I started, people told me i would die if I did keto, i would actually GAIN weight, I would get sick, and all kinds of scare tactics. While everyone is different, and someone might do better eating different foods, I am glad I didn't listen to the nay sayers and I tried it for myself. But I didn't do it to loose weight, I did it because i needed a lifestyle that would work around my food allergies and weight loss from lack of hunger and fatigue was a bonus. But, I eat less calories now than I used to. If i ate more calories I am sure I would have gained. You can loose weight not matter what you eat so long as you make a calorie deficit. However, keto is a TOOL that helps me do this w/o feeling hungry and without feeling like i am missing out on life. Don't feel like there is only one answer to the loosing weight problem, but don't be discourage either because someone tried to scare you off it. Bottom line is, make sure that your happy eating w/e it is you eating.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    drgnfyre wrote: »
    For me keto makes me feel better and I don't feel hungry. So, in that sense it helps me lose weight, because I don't have cravings and i don't over eat. I also am allergic to a LOT of carbs including grains fruit n veg. So for me, this makes sense. Before I started, people told me i would die if I did keto, i would actually GAIN weight, I would get sick, and all kinds of scare tactics. While everyone is different, and someone might do better eating different foods, I am glad I didn't listen to the nay sayers and I tried it for myself. But I didn't do it to loose weight, I did it because i needed a lifestyle that would work around my food allergies and weight loss from lack of hunger and fatigue was a bonus. But, I eat less calories now than I used to. If i ate more calories I am sure I would have gained. You can loose weight not matter what you eat so long as you make a calorie deficit. However, keto is a TOOL that helps me do this w/o feeling hungry and without feeling like i am missing out on life. Don't feel like there is only one answer to the loosing weight problem, but don't be discourage either because someone tried to scare you off it. Bottom line is, make sure that your happy eating w/e it is you eating.

the people that told you you would die probably dont know the difference between ketogenic diet and ketoacidosis. many think ketones are a bad thing. its not but for some who dont control their diabetes keto can be harmful,it can also be harmful to those who cant tolerate high fats for health reasons.but for the majority its not harmful
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Love the last post. I'm also sorry I allowed myself to be baited.

I just realized I never posted the actual pounds I've lost. 29 is my magic number right now (fat lost is different, as I've been building strength/endurance!). I've been doing this since mid-May, but I've also taken a couple of cheat days here and there that I know broke the chain. It is what it is.

All I know is what I've seen "out there" and what I've done. I was inspired to try it when I saw the research that showed it was helping others in big ways with various conditions (even though I don't have any of the various conditions). I was thankful I pushed through the adjustment period when I realized how good it made me feel, how it has given me freedom and still allowed a great variety in foods (other than grains/potatoes, though I've found "substitutes" for them in other veggies/seeds). I have even done well enough in my dietary diversity and control to get my nutritionist's blessing (she is very "old school" in her thinking)!

My advice to anyone thinking about it with a reasonable degree of sincerity is to give it a try. Success is indeed possible! It has proven to be beneficial for various reasons, and if it is done right, it is sustainable. If you give it a good, true try (a few months with necessary adjustments/troubleshooting as you go) and find that it's not doing what you need it to do, then you'll know you gave it a good effort and it's not your match. If you run into a stumbling block, reach out to others who are doing keto.

P.S. If you need keto-friendly chocolate in your life, I've got a recipe I'd be happy to share -- message me!