Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is smoking making a comeback in 2017?

Options
13»

Replies

• Eat2Brute
    Eat2Brute Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I read something yesterday talking about how 'back in the day' people were more accepting of smokers and how currently smokers are demonized for clearly being inconsiderate evil people who put our children at risk for exposing them to second hand smoke. I think it could be argued that being overly judgmental is on the rise.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I read something yesterday talking about how 'back in the day' people were more accepting of smokers and how currently smokers are demonized for clearly being inconsiderate evil people who put our children at risk for exposing them to second hand smoke. I think it could be argued that being overly judgmental is on the rise.

It's funny - nowadays cigarette smokers are demonized and ostracized, but people are vastly convinced that it's perfectly okay to smoke....other....things, and that everybody should legally be allowed to do it. So the dangers of inhaling burning substances are apparently situational/conditional.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It's funny - nowadays cigarette smokers are demonized and ostracized, but people are vastly convinced that it's perfectly okay to smoke....other....things, and that everybody should legally be allowed to do it. So the dangers of inhaling burning substances are apparently situational/conditional.

Marijuana is legal in Nevada, but it's not like it's okay to smoke it in a restaurant or around kids. I think it's still illegal to smoke it anywhere but your home. We allow smoking whatever in the backyard as long as our neighbor's grandkids aren't there. Nobody is smoking anything in my house.
  • valkongr
    valkongr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes and I don't why, it's not even cheap anymore.