Diet pills and supplements

Options
queerpenix
queerpenix Posts: 47 Member
edited August 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Do you have a supplement set up? Do you take diet pills?
Pros and cons of taking either? Or both?
Or do you just do the good ol' diet and exercise.
I want to know what y'all do.

I personally am just sticking to a diet and exercise.

Share some stories or experiences!

Replies

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    The only supplements I take are iron, B12 and folic acid due to being prone to anemia. Diet pills on the shelves don't really work, and the ones out there that do are illegal because they tend to be fatal in the long run (not saying what it's called, but there's one that raises your core temp so high that it eventually leads to death via heat exhaustion).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had bariatric surgery which was a life changer for sure. I still have to stay in my calorie goal.

Most diet pills have caffeine or ephedrine. I fear stimulants so I never tried.

I also tried orlistat/alli which binds fat so it can't be digested. No permanent results on that.

Oh yeah, PGx which is a fiber pill. The idea is that your stomach will fill before you eat. It does no harm. I don't bother with that.

I tried a replica Soylent recently as a replacement meal. It had an interesting effect on my appetite. It nearly erased it completely. Probably because my craves are all crunchy. It also turns my pee a light green.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Nah, don't need that crap. All it does is make your wallet lighter.

Been there, done that. Many times, unfortunately.

I only take a multivitamin and mineral supplement.
  • peraltapiano
    peraltapiano Posts: 26 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I tried some appetite suppressants/diet pills my sister got from a doctor. It did work for a week and I lost about 6 pounds in that time. I was never really hungry but they make you feel like you are on speed. I hated it. I couldn't sit still I had to clean everything.

Terrifying. That's exactly how an old friend of mine behaved when she abused her dad's Adderall.

Diet pills are pointless in the longterm I think.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    My supplements:

Protien powder
    Multivitamin
    Fish-oil

Diet pills tend to be snake-oil at best, at worst they get removed because they kill.
  • queerpenix
    queerpenix Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    BabyBear76 wrote: »
    My supplements:

Protien powder
    Multivitamin
    Fish-oil

Diet pills tend to be snake-oil at best, at worst they get removed because they kill.

I just realized protein powder would be considered a supplement. I use that as well a few times a week!
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    BabyBear76 wrote: »
    My supplements:

Protien powder
    Multivitamin
    Fish-oil

This, plus I take D3 (I was deficient and now remain on the low end of normal) and Biotin for my hair + nails. No other supplements needed.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Pills do not work. I bought some from a stand at a fitness convention and they made them seem like they were magic pills. $60 loss and months later I realized that they weren't. Don't waste your money. This app is free and with some determination you can get to your goals without all the extra stuff people try to sell. The only supplement I take is protein shakes. I don't use them as meal replacements. They are only consumed to help me reach my daily protein goal.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Pills do not work. I bought some from a stand at a fitness convention and they made them seem like they were magic pills. $60 loss and months later I realized that they weren't. Don't waste your money. This app is free and with some determination you can get to your goals without all the extra stuff people try to sell. The only supplement I take is protein shakes. I don't use them as meal replacements. They are only consumed to help me reach my daily protein goal.

The magic pills are much harder to find these days... mostly because they were blowing up peoples hearts.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I take ZMA (Zinc, Magnesium, and B6), also vitamin C. None of that has to do with weight loss though, it has more to do with general health and building strong bones and muscles. Diet pills only help reduce the size of your wallet, not your figure.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Baffling what people think 'diet pills' are.

There is nothing wrong with a great deal of good fat burners on the market.
    They don't burn fat, they give you the tools to burn fat.

Increased metabolism
    Increased energy (to burn more calories)
    Suppress appetite (helping calorie deficite)

Which all result in losing weight.
    However, the issue is with CONTINUAL usage of them. If people can't lose weight or maintain without them due to habitually not be able to do it without them, then they become the crutch they need.
    And since the majority of them are just caffeine laden and the body can build a tolerance to them, they dosage needs to either be upped or a stronger stimulant needs to be used.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Baffling what people think 'diet pills' are.

There is nothing wrong with a great deal of good fat burners on the market.
    They don't burn fat, they give you the tools to burn fat.

Increased metabolism
    Increased energy (to burn more calories)
    Suppress appetite (helping calorie deficite)

Which all result in losing weight.

Unless they teach you how to eat the right amount of food and get the right amount of burn for the weight you want to maintain for the rest of your life, they don't work.

They promote the line of thought that being overweight is like a disease that you can cure by losing weight, and once you're cured, you don't have to worry about it anymore.