Calories in strength training?

Options
I normally do about 20-30 minutes of strength training 4-5 times a week. Is there a way to know how many calories are burned during a strength training session?

Thank You!

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Depending on what type of strength training you do, in most cases it's not enough to worry about logging it.
    But then again, what are your goals?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Go under cardio in the exercise tab - search for "strength training" - log it. That'll get you a probably inaccurate calorie estimate but that's how it's done around here.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Strength training calorie burn is quite difficult to measure, But providing that you keep your average heart rate constantly above 120 bpm, 300-400 kcal per hour should be close enough.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Meelisv wrote: »
    Strength training calorie burn is quite difficult to measure, But providing that you keep your average heart rate constantly above 120 bpm, 300-400 kcal per hour should be close enough.

Heart rate Doesn't really apply to strength training.

In that case i have been wrong a lot, since it seems to apply in my case.
  • jaysanchez4
    jaysanchez4 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Depending on what type of strength training you do, in most cases it's not enough to worry about logging it.
    But then again, what are your goals?

Goals are to lose weight, look slimmer and more trim. I currently weight 219, looking to get to around 195.

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Go under cardio in the exercise tab - search for "strength training" - log it. That'll get you a probably inaccurate calorie estimate but that's how it's done around here.

This. If I don't log my generic strength training activities I just end up miserable and losing unnecessarily fast. Log it and see what your weight does to know how accurate it is.
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Why are you weight training for 4-5 days ? You don't really need to worry about the calories . Just get your protein in
  • jaysanchez4
    jaysanchez4 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I eat within my calories every day and have no incorporated cardio and weight training to hopefully help in my weight loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    Why are you weight training for 4-5 days ? You don't really need to worry about the calories . Just get your protein in
    I weight train 5 days a week. I do splits though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lorbor93
    lorbor93 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Meelisv wrote: »

Heart rate Doesn't really apply to strength training.

Agreed, unless you are circuit training w/ no rest periods. Average sets of 10 reps don't really get you heart rate up, especially if you rest is over 1 min between sets
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Since one of her stated goals is to lose weight, she does in fact need to worry about her calories. Calorie intake drives weight gain/loss.
    I understand that but I'm talking about calories burnt from weight training . You don't need to count them as long as your eating in a deficit and getting in protein . I've been doing this for soo long and I've gained a lot of muscle while losing weight also.

At the same time?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Since one of her stated goals is to lose weight, she does in fact need to worry about her calories. Calorie intake drives weight gain/loss.
    I understand that but I'm talking about calories burnt from weight training . You don't need to count them as long as your eating in a deficit and getting in protein . I've been doing this for soo long and I've gained a lot of muscle while losing weight also.

How are you tracking this gain?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options

This. If I don't log my generic strength training activities I just end up miserable and losing unnecessarily fast. Log it and see what your weight does to know how accurate it is.

This ^^^^
    Same with me. I read so often that you didn't burn many calories weight training so not worth counting then, I didn't.
    You should have seen me a few weeks into heavy lifting.
    Dropping weight like crazy, and lethargic.

The MFP recommendation for lifting is 4 calories more than my own numbers indicate. So for me those numbers work.

Use them as a base and adjust as needed.

Cheers, h.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I normally do about 20-30 minutes of strength training 4-5 times a week. Is there a way to know how many calories are burned during a strength training session?

Thank You!

It's a depressingly small number. I wouldn't worry about it. If you start to lose too fast, then it's worth revisiting.