Why does everyone tell you what to do?

It's really starting to driving me crazy, I've lost 15 pounds in just shy 3 weeks and people are starting to notice. They ask what I'm doing and I say I'm using this app and staying within the calories and stuff that it tells me to. Then they always have to put their 2 cents in, like oh you need to join a gym to do it properly, you not do that, it's bad for you, go on Atkins, way more protein, blah blah blah. Or oh 1 piece of cake will not hurt you, just have an ice cream cone. A few of these people telling me how to diet are not small themselves. Like 400 pounds so why am I going to listen to them or the ones telling me to eat junk are like a size 3. Seriously this is my life style change and I'm doing it the way that works for me, I mean 15 pounds in just under 3 weeks and I'm not feeling deprived. I eat 3 meals a day and snacks so I'm not starving myself, I'm walking everyday which I have not done on 20+ years. I can't eat ice cream because I'm not ready to yet, I'm a junk food addict and my life style change to kick my addiction to the curb has only just begun. They don't tell a crack head who's trying to quit, hey just do 1 line, it will not hurt, or the alcoholic trying to quit drinking, come on 1 beer will not hurt you because they know it will. Sorry rant over. I just need to vent.

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Been there!
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    People still tell me what to do, I just smile and say okay.
  • LizbethHeller
    LizbethHeller Posts: 38 Member
    Wow, you're doing great!! It's tempting to try to psychoanalyze why they do it, but it's really a waste of effort. As someone said, just smile and say ok.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    I have never experienced anyone attempting to give me health/fitness/diet advice. I understand it happens a lot from reading the forums, but evidently not to me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    This is where you learn to just smile, nod your head and say "okay, thanks", then move on. It's NEVER ENDING.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    This is where you learn to just smile, nod your head and say "okay, thanks", then move on. It's NEVER ENDING.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This! ^
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's true.
    3 to 4 years later I still get people asking what I did to lose weight. Then they don't like the answer, and tell me they're watching carbs/sugar/drinking shakes, etc. Good for them. I don't discuss it otherwise and I never give advice unless specifically asked for. It never ends well. Just smile, you do you, and they can do whatever their "expert" opinion is.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    I know they mean well but...

That's exactly what I keep in mind. It's okay. They mean well.
    And then I remind myself of the good examples like my friend and colleague who - despite avidly stating she hates the gym, she prefers running in summer and skiing in winter - wishes me a friendly 'Have a nice and successful workout!' when I leave work with my gym back. I am tankful for all people of her kind.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    That's why I don't go around telling everyone my business. If they ask if I lost weight I say "some" and when they ask how I just say "just trying to eat a little better" - when you get into the details it gives them room for input. Shorter, non-descriptive answers and then change the subject works for me.