Ketogenic diet anyone?

I am trying this for weight loss and wondering if anyone has had any success doing so?

Replies

• stickersticker
    stickersticker Posts: 140 Member
    I've just begun this but I think there's enough variety of foods in this diet that I should be able to do this for awhile
  • susiemusic
    susiemusic Posts: 1 Member
    My husband and I did Keto last year and although I lost a few pounds, my cholesterol went through the roof - and I've never had high cholesterol in my life! In my opinion, it is not a realistic life time way of eating, so it will be temporary. I won't do it again. I'm sticking to counting my calories and staying away from gluten and all processed foods.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    My idea of hell. I lose weight fine eating carbs and love the taste of them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    OP: if you're looking for other folks following a low carb or ketogenic diet, consider joining this group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Love(d) it.

I lost 40 lbs.

I had to go off it b/c Norovirus followed by influenza really messed up my bowel flora biome over a 3-month period.

So, I have had to add in resistant starch (among other things).

Also, I have had to increase my carbs to 100 g. to address rebuilding certain beneficial bacteria that died (that don't normally come back without extensive nutritional support).

It's not a fun process and it took time and error before I was able to identify what was wrong and how to fix it.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    I just started. This is all so helpful. Thanks!
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    I am doing it and seem to be on the slow loss path but that's ok. Easiest "diet" I have ever been on. Went from being addicted to sugar to no cravings immediately. Played with my head a bit since I am late 50's and never been able to leave sugar before. Cholesterol wise, lots of folks see an increase in Ldl and Hdl but tris go wayy down. Particle size of Ldl moves from small (sticky,bad) to large (good). I haven't done it long enough to check and have read this during my research
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    cclark1203 wrote: »
    I am doing it and seem to be on the slow loss path but that's ok. Easiest "diet" I have ever been on. Went from being addicted to sugar to no cravings immediately. Played with my head a bit since I am late 50's and never been able to leave sugar before. Cholesterol wise, lots of folks see an increase in Ldl and Hdl but tris go wayy down. Particle size of Ldl moves from small (sticky,bad) to large (good). I haven't done it long enough to check and have read this during my research

I saw a very interesting video showing that cholesterol can change within days of changing your diet. And that eating more, even excessive, fat may lower cholesterol the most.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZu52duIqno
  • mgholloway
    mgholloway Posts: 5 Member
    Been on keto for 90 days. I seems to be a slow looser. Lost 16 lbs. but I love that I don't have any more sugar cravings.
  • jelizabeth713
    jelizabeth713 Posts: 98 Member
    Hello I'm Julie and I'm on my 14th week into keto. I've lost 20 lbs and have reached my goal weight. (45 lb loss total since 2013). Big thing to remember is eat less than but no more than 20g Net Carbs to start, hit your protein macro and eat enough fat to feel full on a daily basis. You don't have to hit your fat macro, but I usually get somewhat close myself. Basically if you aren't hungry at the end of the day and have some left to fill on your macros, don't stress over filling them. I mix it up when I eat meals and keep it interesting by making different keto friendly recipes everyday. Keto chicken parm with zoodles is my fav, zucchini noodles are delicious!! I fry them in a skillet with a little oil and season them. I use pork rinds for the breading on chicken, just put them in a big ziplock baggy, close it and smash them into crumbs! You can add parmesean or mozzarella cheese and seasoning to the pork rind breading, put chicken in the bag and shake to coat. They bake on the chicken so nice. Best of luck to you! If anyone wants a fellow keto friend feel free to add me for support! :smiley: I make some parmesean chips. Or snack on rolled up lunch meat or pepperoni/salami, cheese and mayo or even without mayo they are tasty! I make pork rind nachos or pork rind cinnamon twists. I also snack on babybel cheese, fat bombs(sometimes), or pickles.
  • jelizabeth713
    jelizabeth713 Posts: 98 Member
    Why would someone eliminate carbs (=energy) from their diet is beyond my comprehension.

I have more energy now without all the carbs I was overloaded with before! Some people do better with less carbs :smile: