Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Fitness and Exercise
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

I suck at running. Discuss.

124

Replies

  • TavistockToadTavistockToad Member Posts: 35,741 Member Member Posts: 35,741 Member
    Eire228 wrote: »
    My new favorite Pinterest quote is, "if you suck at running, keep doing it."

    So I do. And I continue to suck.

    All joking aside, I really do struggle with running. I want to keep doing it so that someday, maybe even just for one run, it won't feel like such an impossible struggle. I'm 33 years old, 5'7", 130lbs (down from 150, yay!), and I exercise 4-5 times a week, including running, strength training, and yoga. Right now I'm working up to running a 10k, though I've done a half marathon in the past (the longest I've ever run without having to stop is 10 miles, just once, 3 years ago). When I run, I feel like an obese chain smoker. My heart rate is steady at 175-180 on flat ground, and 190-195 on hills, no matter what distance I run. I breathe SO loudly, I scare people if I come up behind them! I'm lucky if I can maintain a 10 minute mile for 3 miles. Usually I'm closer to 11 or 12 minute miles. Sometimes when I'm running a longer distance like 5 miles, my body just stops and I double over trying to breathe. I tell myself "keep going, keep going, you can do it!" But then I fall short. WTF.

    Does it ever get better??????

    I'm not really expecting an answer, I just needed someplace to vent.

    It depends on your overall health? Are you bones or heart hurting while you run? The breathing could be a cardiovascular problem or could be a result of training on and off. I have the same problem when I'm rusty.

    From my personal experience, before I gained weight (back in high school), I went from running 5km in 33-35 minutes to 19m50s. I would running 5km once/twice a day and eat a variety of fruits beforehand; with a cheat day here or there. I think that over time, as your muscles strengthen, your weight burns off, and you train constantly, you'll get there.

    Regarding breathing, I was told to breathe in from your nose and out from your mouth (personally I don't do it, but you could). Also, it's good to breathe loudly! It means your body is taking in oxygen to supply itself and you're losing weight!

    One thing to note: while running, you'll look more toned....however, you might burn muscle along with fat in the process. Especially if you're trying to build muscle. Make sure to eat enough (and include protein and strength training) to minimize muscle loss.

    Breathing loudly means you're losing weight... oh come on! :huh: :noway:
  • antennachickantennachick Member Posts: 464 Member Member Posts: 464 Member
    nothing wrong with that pace! keep doing it if you like it
  • DX2JX2DX2JX2 Member Posts: 1,921 Member Member Posts: 1,921 Member
    ksuh999 wrote: »
    You sure set your bar awfully high. I wouldn't even attempt 10k runs for now. Just focus on 5k. 10 min mile is an excellent pace considering how long you've run (5k = 3.3 miles).

    It takes months to materially lower your time. It took me two years to get down to a 7.5min pace, and I can only do that 1-2 times a season.

    FYI - 5k is equal to 3.1 miles.

    Also, OP - run slower for longer. Not only will it drastically speed up your shorter distance runs, but you'll also get the accomplishment of completing longer distances.

    Personally, I have no qualms about running 11 minute miles since it allows me to run 10k+ at a time. As an additional benefit, since 11 minute miles keep my HR really low I run with a smile on my face the entire time. I now drastically prefer long easy runs to faster shorter ones.
    edited August 2017
  • Niki_FitzNiki_Fitz Member Posts: 943 Member Member Posts: 943 Member
    It does get better, it is just incredibly slow for some of us. Myself included.

    I started running after my first baby and it took six years to feel good on a five mile jog! And damn, did it feel good.

    Now after my second baby I feel like a mama elephant lumbering through the woods. Like you, I question if it will ever not suck. But since I got okay at running once, maybe I can get there again!

    The fact that you're going for five miles is awesome.
    edited August 2017
  • autumnblade75autumnblade75 Member Posts: 1,635 Member Member Posts: 1,635 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I used to suck at running and I hated it. Then I learned how. Now I'm good at it. And I love it.

    If you are breathing hard, you are running too fast. As a beginner, the only time you should run hard enough to have trouble singing while your run is when you are racing a short race (5k or shorter) or a bear is chasing you. :)

    You're not supposed to run from bears. They chase, like the predators they are. They're definitely faster than you.
  • allyphoeallyphoe Member Posts: 618 Member Member Posts: 618 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I used to suck at running and I hated it. Then I learned how. Now I'm good at it. And I love it.

    If you are breathing hard, you are running too fast. As a beginner, the only time you should run hard enough to have trouble singing while your run is when you are racing a short race (5k or shorter) or a bear is chasing you. :)

    You're not supposed to run from bears. They chase, like the predators they are. They're definitely faster than you.

    You don't have to outrun the bear; you only have to outrun your buddy.
  • JustinAnimalJustinAnimal Member Posts: 1,335 Member Member Posts: 1,335 Member
    Like others have said, it does get better. It maybe took me a year to feel comfortable and complete a five-mile run (I use the word lightly) without stopping. I was coming from being very overweight, however, so it may not take you as long.

    Just like lifting, I believe it's important to start with good form and make that a habit, because good form usually makes running more efficient and easier on your body. There are a bajillion videos out there on good form. Do a basic search on google or youtube. My biggest pitfall was leaning way forward when I ran. Now, I run more or less upright (not completely, of course) and it feels better and I feel more successful.

    STICK WITH IT! YOU GOT DIS!
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Member Posts: 39,674 Member Member Posts: 39,674 Member
    Eire228 wrote: »
    My new favorite Pinterest quote is, "if you suck at running, keep doing it."

    So I do. And I continue to suck.

    All joking aside, I really do struggle with running. I want to keep doing it so that someday, maybe even just for one run, it won't feel like such an impossible struggle. I'm 33 years old, 5'7", 130lbs (down from 150, yay!), and I exercise 4-5 times a week, including running, strength training, and yoga. Right now I'm working up to running a 10k, though I've done a half marathon in the past (the longest I've ever run without having to stop is 10 miles, just once, 3 years ago). When I run, I feel like an obese chain smoker. My heart rate is steady at 175-180 on flat ground, and 190-195 on hills, no matter what distance I run. I breathe SO loudly, I scare people if I come up behind them! I'm lucky if I can maintain a 10 minute mile for 3 miles. Usually I'm closer to 11 or 12 minute miles. Sometimes when I'm running a longer distance like 5 miles, my body just stops and I double over trying to breathe. I tell myself "keep going, keep going, you can do it!" But then I fall short. WTF.

    Does it ever get better??????

    I'm not really expecting an answer, I just needed someplace to vent.

    I've never been a good distance runner. I was a track and field sprinter and jumper from 2nd grade through highschool...I was a very good sprinter, really crappy distance runner. Even when I was in the military and ran all of the time, I sucked at it. My wife on the other hand is a natural distance runner and really enjoys it...we ran a 5K together years ago...I had trained for months and my wife hadn't trained at all...she kicked my *kitten*.

    Personally, I've never really enjoyed it...the only thing it really has going for it in my mind is that it is a highly portable exercise...so it's easy to do when you're on vacation or whatever. I much prefer cycling, which is great exercise and highly enjoyable.
  • JustinAnimalJustinAnimal Member Posts: 1,335 Member Member Posts: 1,335 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Poor thing. You can run only 10 min mile and only 10 miles at once. It must feel awful!

    Not really helpful, but maybe I feel that way because I'm in the same boat. I can run 10-minute miles and that feels SLOW AS HELL, at least when I see people in great shape who make running much faster appear effortless. Maybe it shouldn't be my goal, but I want to run faster and feel less fatigued.

    That said, I've done nothing to work toward that goal other than continue to run at the same pace, so I'm not complaining.
  • JustinAnimalJustinAnimal Member Posts: 1,335 Member Member Posts: 1,335 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    ksuh999 wrote: »
    You sure set your bar awfully high. I wouldn't even attempt 10k runs for now. Just focus on 5k. 10 min mile is an excellent pace considering how long you've run (5k = 3.3 miles).

    It takes months to materially lower your time. It took me two years to get down to a 7.5min pace, and I can only do that 1-2 times a season.

    FYI - 5k is equal to 3.1 miles.

    Slow clap for that excellent and necessary clarification.
  • ksuh999ksuh999 Member Posts: 543 Member Member Posts: 543 Member
    ksuh999 wrote: »
    I disagree with the above: running more miles will make the miles you run feel easier. You will also probably get faster. Training for a 10k will make your 3 mile runs feel easy compared to your longer runs. Same when you go back to doing HMs.

    If you are breathing hard on all your runs, you are probably running too fast. You might also want to get checked out for exercise induced asthma.

    It's mostly about not overexerting herself. And hey if all it takes is a couple of weeks, great.

    The point is, your advice is contrary to pretty much every coaching plan out there. Improving pace largely comes from adding volume initially.

    The OP has barely run before. She's starting from zero. Zero to 10K. In a few weeks. What awesome plan is that?

  • DX2JX2DX2JX2 Member Posts: 1,921 Member Member Posts: 1,921 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Poor thing. You can run only 10 min mile and only 10 miles at once. It must feel awful!

    Not really helpful, but maybe I feel that way because I'm in the same boat. I can run 10-minute miles and that feels SLOW AS HELL, at least when I see people in great shape who make running much faster appear effortless. Maybe it shouldn't be my goal, but I want to run faster and feel less fatigued.

    That said, I've done nothing to work toward that goal other than continue to run at the same pace, so I'm not complaining.

    Yes, but keep running longer and longer distances at that 10 min/mile pace and you'll find your shorter distance times will improve pretty steadily.

    I used to do all of my running at tempo speed (comfortably hard, barely conversational) and plateaued in mileage (that is, I could go a certain distance at that speed and that distance never really improved). Once I added longer runs at an easy pace (about 1-2 min/mile slower than I had been running, depending on distance to be covered), my tempo pace improved by about 30 secs/mile within 2-3 weeks.

    For us slower runners, easy mile volume is the simplest way to improve our overall speed.
  • dushanek1dushanek1 Member Posts: 5 Member Member Posts: 5 Member
    You said youre down to 130 from 150? What is your calorie intake to get to 130?? Do you restrict carbs? I find running a lot harder if I am in a caloric deficit and not getting enough carbs.
  • PGDPTPGDPT Member Posts: 3 Member Member Posts: 3 Member
    If you suck at running look into Danny Dreyer's "Chi Running", this style of running emphasizes a high cadence, working toward 90 rpm which mandates a very short stride. The essence is your foot will land under your center of gravity. The difference is this is not force running pushing off with smallest muscles of the body but simply leaning forward and catching yourself from falling. Danny describes having 3 gears based on forward lean, 1st gear is really very easy and goes up from there. Now it will take time to get to 90 rpm, the easiest way to monitor this is to get a small metronome he has them on his website. The other issue in regard to breathing is your diaphragm (and no its not birth control diaphragm) may be too tight or you simply don't know how to breath. If you do yoga maybe your instructor can help with this. There are some simple self treatment methods of releasing your diaphragm as well. Don't have time to write them out right now.
  • enterdangerenterdanger Member Posts: 2,445 Member Member Posts: 2,445 Member
    I run like a mermaid that just traded it's voice for legs. I'm running 12 minute miles. A jog for most people feels like and all out sprint to me. But, I kinda like so I do it anyway.
  • smc92079smc92079 Member Posts: 229 Member Member Posts: 229 Member
    I've never been a runner. Never. But I still try. I can't run for any significant length of time. I'll run for a minute at about a 12 minute/mile pace and then walk for at least a minute - usually longer. Of course, this round of "trying" has been outside and I'm not good at controlling my pace outside. I may wait until I'm using the gym more often in the winter to really try to nail it down. But anyway, I'm still moving, and that is what counts. Maybe someday I'll be able to run an entire mile without stopping.
  • RavenLibraRavenLibra Member Posts: 1,737 Member Member Posts: 1,737 Member
    Have you observed people that should not be running? It isn't an inherent skill... stride, rhythm, skeletal structure all play a part in what defines a runner... get video tape of yourself running... observe people that appear to be good runners... compare, then see if you can emulate... if you can't... no biggie... I ran XC in high school and had team members that had to be taught how to make the most of their natural styles... best advice... join a track club... or a running club with a good coach... spending time on a track WILL improve your running ability with the right coach...IF it is truly something you are passionate about.
  • Eire228Eire228 Member Posts: 238 Member Member Posts: 238 Member
    Eire228 wrote: »
    I want to thank you all again. I took the advice given and ran 3 miles yesterday at a slower 12 minute/mile pace.

    this is so great that i don't even mind losing one from the sucks-at-running bench. congratulations!

    Haha don't worry, I still suck at it. :)
Sign In or Register to comment.