Sugars: do "natural" sugars count the same as processed?

Options
TOHRT
TOHRT Posts: 1 Member
My one cup of raw blueberries has almost 15 g of sugars. I eat very little processed foods, no juice, no sugared drinks, yet my nutrition profile often is over the 24g daily sugar goal. Should fruit and veg natural sugars be counted the same? The Glycemic Load of these foods is quite low.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The molecules in the sugar in fruit are the same as those in table sugar...sugar is sugar. The main difference nutritionally speaking is that things like fruit and whatnot also come with fiber, antioxidants, and other micro-nutrients.

^^this. So the lesson is: completely avoid processed sugar and eat fruit sparingly. You can get the same nutrients from vegetables without all the sugar. Fruits should be a garnish or a treat.

No . . . no, that is not the lesson.
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    How does one change their sugar tracker to fiber on here? Do you have to be a Premium member to do so?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    AquabearGO wrote: »
    How does one change their sugar tracker to fiber on here? Do you have to be a Premium member to do so?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    AquabearGO wrote: »

From your home page, click on Settings, then click on Diary Settings. Then you'll see this...

hr6tz3pxu37e.jpg
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Wow, I did not expect this much backlash... No, I don't have scientific papers to cite, I only speak from experience.... I can eat a lot of fruit and ingest a lot of calories that way and still feel hungry which leads me go way over my calorie target, that's why. I'll leave it to the OP to take from this what she needs....

Define a 'lot' of fruit. Because I eat quite a bit of it (400+ grams a day on average), and have no problem fitting it into my calorie goals. In total I average 1,000+ grams of veg and fruit a day and it's the base that I build my meals on. Today for example I'm having a large banana, strawberries, blueberries and then a very generous portion of honey rock.
  • SilentDan82
    SilentDan82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow, I did not expect this much backlash... No, I don't have scientific papers to cite, I only speak from experience.... I can eat a lot of fruit and ingest a lot of calories that way and still feel hungry which leads me go way over my calorie target, that's why. I'll leave it to the OP to take from this what she needs....

Define a 'lot' of fruit. Because I eat quite a bit of it (400+ grams a day on average), and have no problem fitting it into my calorie goals. In total I average 1,000+ grams of veg and fruit a day and it's the base that I build my meals on. Today for example I'm having a large banana, strawberries, blueberries and then a very generous portion of honey rock.

I can literally keep eating fruit non-stop for hours. What you just described I would still categorize as sparingly.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Filling up on fruit isn't a great strategy for a lot of people, but that doesn't mean one has to limit fruit to just a garnish or a treat. You can have fruit as part of a meal or snack with other foods that you find more satiating. That works for many people (including me).
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I can literally keep eating fruit non-stop for hours. What you just described I would still categorize as sparingly.

What's the most fruit you have eaten in a day?