Counting calories is giving me terrible mood swings because I'm always hungry

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There are some good ideas here. I suggest you pack some happy packs with you wherever you go. Each ziplock pack should carry about 50 calories (measure ahead of time). It looks like you have some leeway between 1350 and 1900 calories a day so even adding four happy packs (200 calories) will keep you in the range where you are still losing.

When you are approaching grouchy, have yourself a happy pack and a glass of water.

Try different macro combinations to find out what fills you up. I suggest nuts (a teeny amount, measured), edamame, celery sticks, crackers, and a quarter of a meal replacement packet.

With some experimenting you should find out what fills you up. For some it's high fiber low calorie. For others, it's high fat, carbs, and still others it's protein.

Then you can decide if you want to continue with the snacking or increase your meal portions slightly with the foods that fill you the best.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I get moody when my calorie deficit is too big. I could never understand why I felt so bad on commercial diet systems like Nutrisystem, Medifast, Slimfast, etc. But now that I use MFP, I realize those systems had me at a calorie deficit of 1000-1500, which was way too big. No wonder I was moody! (And no wonder why those were not long term, sustainable solutions.)

When you put everything into MFP, did you set a goal of losing 2 pounds a week? If so, try changing it to 1.5 pounds a week which will give you more calories. No improvement in mood? Switch to 1 pound per week. If you 'only' lose 1 pound per week for a year, you'll weigh 52 pounds less at this time in 2018!

Best wishes on finding a balance that works for you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I lost 150 lbs eating about 1700 cals the whole time (5'7") and I was 59-60 while doing so. Being older, I need less calories than you. When I got to my goal range, I was basically eating at maintenance.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should be eating a little more. Losing one pound a week is good progress. I find to keep my mood stable and my energy up, I snack with a little protein. One favorite lately is 1 ounce of cheddar cheese with a good apple. It keeps me from being snarky.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    You should be able to lose on 1500 - 1800 calories. It might be slower, but it would be better than giving up because you are so hungry all the time. I'm a little shorter than you and started out at 195. I lost ~73 pounds eating 1400 -1600 daily. I was hungry the first couple of weeks when I was getting used to eating less food, but after that I found that as long as I had good protien levels I was fine. I would play around a little with what you eat and see if that helps. You can eat whatever you want in a calorie deficit to lose weight. But some foods will keep you full longer than others and that will just be personal preference. I am more satisfied eating eggs for breakfast than oatmeal. Make sure you are getting plenty of protien and some good fats. If you like to eat large volumes then load up on veggies.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'll be another vote in the "don't be afraid to eat more" category. I know you're impatient to lose weight - I think most of us are! - but it's important to live life while you're doing it. If you want to maintain the weight you lose you will need to make long-term, sustainable changes. I think taking your time with the weight loss stage while you figure out those changes is a great way to go. I started out eating at maintenance and have been gradually pulling back my average calories every month. I've just about got below 2000 calories a day and am losing about a half a pound a week. By the end of 2017 I'd like to be averaging about 1750, which will be maintenance for my goal weight. I don't expect to reach that goal weight for a good while, but I'm not hungry and moody, and the weight keeps coming off.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    sam_c_93 wrote: »
    Sorry, so basic.

I log everything. I eat 1370 a day (that's what MFP came up with when I put everything in). I weigh 214 pounds and am 5 foot 5. Female. I'm 25.

I don't really exercise. I just walk a lot. I'm too hungry, I have hardly any energy to be doing stuff.

I can deal with cravings, it's the actual hunger that is getting to me. I'm on medication that increases my appetite but it normally just gives me cravings rather than stomach growling hunger.

Your diary isn't open, but make sure you are getting enough protein, fat, and fiber. Often some combination of those will help people feel a bit more full. I had to reduce the amount of carbs I was eating a little to get my protein and fat up a bit, but it def helped with satiety.

If your medication makes you feel hungry/crave-y to the point that you are this uncomfortable, ask your doctor if there is any alternative.

It might seem useless, but if you can work in some more exercise (even just walking) and eat those calories back it might help. Usually, light exercise won't cause more hunger and if you make those extra calories a high volume food it could help you feel fuller even though your net calories will stay the same.

Good luck :drinker:
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    my concern is that the other day she posted this thread the other day...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/40247000#Comment_40247000 and talked about reducing calories to 1000 for a couple of days to compensate
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Unless you want to have a very brief weight loss journey that results in you crashing out and giving up, I would suggest you take a more realistic view of the process. If you are hungry and moody, you are not going to last the amount of time required to reach your goal weight. Pull back your expectations and set an appropriate calorie goal for yourself...it is not a contest to eat as little as you can - if anything you should be finding the maximum number of calories you can eat whilst still losing a respectable amount of weight so that you have somewhere to drop down to as your caloric needs change.

You have had some good suggestions here, and if I were you, I would change your goal to 1 Ib per week, or set your daily goal at 1900 and do your best to fill that with a combination of nutrient dense foods and the less nutrient dense foods that you enjoy ( ie - no need to cut out things like chocolate, cookies and ice cream if you enjoy them and want them to be a part of your future life)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Are you really trying to lose 105 pounds?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Sorry, so basic.

I log everything. I eat 1370 a day (that's what MFP came up with when I put everything in). I weigh 214 pounds and am 5 foot 5. Female. I'm 25.

I don't really exercise. I just walk a lot. I'm too hungry, I have hardly any energy to be doing stuff.

I can deal with cravings, it's the actual hunger that is getting to me. I'm on medication that increases my appetite but it normally just gives me cravings rather than stomach growling hunger.

Protein, fiber, and fat are filling....BUT it's different combinations for everyone. Look your meals over, tweak your choices a bit. It will take time to find the right mix.

It also takes time to find the right timing. There are people who have read "don't skip breakfast, it's the most important meal of the day." That has been debunked. Breakfast skippers often do better by putting off their first meal of the day until later.

That said, you could lose weight (albeit more slowly) while eating more calories. It's better to find something you can stick with over the long haul.

If you walk a lot you might bump up your activity level (if you are set to sedentary). Active people need more calories.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you log everything, and I wanted to suggest (if you're not already) that in order to determine what amount you log, that you weigh all solids on a food scale (including packaged foods like frozen dinners and protein bars, as well as things like eggs, slices of bread and whole fruit) and measure all liquids with measuring cups and spoons.

Knowing you're accurately logging makes a real difference!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Sorry, so basic.

How many lbs per week are you set up on MFP to lose? 2?
  • robm1brown
    robm1brown Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ignore the trolls.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    robm1brown wrote: »
    Ignore the trolls.

I don't see anyone in this thread trolling. What specifically don't you agree with?