Counting calories is giving me terrible mood swings because I'm always hungry

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I stopped counting calories a long time ago. It's stressful and rarely works long term. I switched to a plant based diet and now I'm eating all day everyday and losing pounds all the while. Granted, if you eat junk food or like 5000 calories a day, you probs stay over weight. But it's hard to over eat on a plant based diet because the food isn't addictive, it's filling, and it makes you feel satisfied and energetic. :)
    And I don't just eat lettuce, lol.
    I'm eating pastas, rice, potatoes, bean burgers with all the fixings, French fries, pizza, smoothies, burritos... ugh, so much delicious food. I'm hungry now, haha.
    I'd suggest everyone at least try it out. It's very liberating to no longer be addicted to food and to eat as much as makes me happy. ;)

@SecularVegan while calorie counting is just a step to help learn how to intuitively eat the right amounts of the right macro it never the less is not to be put down as a useful tool to some of MFP 100K+ users.

From another discussion can you as a secular vegan PM me as to how can a vegan eat to keep his or her Vitamin D level in the 75+ ng range for optimal health?
  • sam_c_93
    sam_c_93 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Are you really trying to lose 105 pounds?
    Abby2205 wrote: »
    Losing 7 and a half stone (105 pounds) will put you at 109 pounds, which is not "normal" BMI, it is underweight. You only need to lose 65 pounds, or approximately 4 and a half stone, to get to a BMI in a healthy range.

Sorry - I weigh 242 pounds. 17 stone 4 pounds. I worked the pounds out wrong earlier when I did it and can't edit my original post on mobile. My goal has always been 10 stone. It's a nice middling bmi for me, so yeah 7 stone 4 to lose.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    sam_c_93 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Sounds like the problem is your calorie level, not the fact that you are counting calories. How many calories are you eating each day? With 105 pounds to lose you should be able to eat plenty while losing at a good clip. I'm talking 1800+ calories.

1800 calories - and I'd still lose?! Surely that would be very slow though? I'm eating 1370 which is the MFP number I got. I lost a lot of weight in the first two weeks but the last two weeks has been a pound each week. Slower than I'd like so I can't see how I'd lose weight by eating more.

I ate an average of 1800 calories from the 170s down to 150 and lost fine. You are losing slowly because you are eating too little and likely are very sedentary due to lack of energy and it just being your lifestyle. NEAT (non exercise energy expenditure) makes up a large portion of a person's calorie expenditure and are extremely variable from person to person but tends to decrease when you eat less. Eat a bit more and make an effort to move more and as you feel better you'll find yourself up and moving around without thinking about it. Sustainability is more important than speed when it comes to weight loss. Right now what you are doing is not sustainable.

Totally this. Wouldn't you rather lose a slower and not be miserable? Also it will greatly increase your odds of successfully sticking to it. You're already frustrated and on the verge of giving up.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    When my starting weight was 254 lbs, I took it slow and told MFP I wanted to lose 1lb/week. It put me on 1710 (I'm female, 5'3")
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I lost well over 100 lb but it took me YEARS...like six years, start to finish. If it's the difference between doing it for a very long time but it being tolerable, versus quick weight loss that makes you miserable...maybe reframe your timeline?

I suspect you're going for a goal more like 2 lb per week, if they're giving you an estimate of 1370 cal/day at 214 lb. I may be wrong! But maybe try 1 lb per week and see if the greater calories help you.

Another idea, others have mentioned meal timing...I have to have three "larger" meals, the standard breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but I don't snack. If I am 2 hours late missing a meal I get moody and horrible. A friend of mine has lost a lot of weight eating mini meals all through the day and she feels satisfied with that instead. Try different things to see what works for you.
  • sam_c_93
    sam_c_93 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yeah the 1370 was 2 pounds a week. I know I need to be more realistic with 1 pound instead. Definitely
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Yeah the 1370 was 2 pounds a week. I know I need to be more realistic with 1 pound instead. Definitely

I think you need to experiment. Try setting to 1.5 lbs per week and see if adding those cals back in helps. If not, go to 1 lb per week. Also, there are 2 other things I'd experiment with. Both have been previously mentioned. The first is macro mix.

For me, I find protein and fat fairly satiating and help with reducing hunger, I also find veggies and fruits with high fiber satiating. So those compose the majority of my diet. eg. A big salad with lots of greens, tomato and cucumbers and some chicken, steak or shrimp on top with EVOO and Balsamic Vinegar is very filling and satisfying and reasonable for calorie load.

The other thing is experiment with meal timing. I personally do Intermittent Fasting on roughly a 16/8 or 18/6 schedule. (I'm not particularly rigid about it). The key thing is I am can delay the start of eating without and issue. But once I start eating, hunger signaling starts. So it's easier to wait, have a reasonalbe mid day meal and a big dinner (as that is my preference). Figure out your preferences and how you can minimize hunger signaling. It's a very individual thing. Although, when you first start in deficit, hunger signalling is going to be a bit of a hormonal issue for a little while til your body adjusts. That's just the way it is.

Some last thoughts. Most of us ignore our weight gain while it happens but then get really focused once we decide it's not longer how we want to be. That generally leads to impatience and getting unsustainably aggressive with our approach. That often leads to discouragement and failure. A reasoned, patient, realistic and experimental approach is sustainable. I always like to think, we didn't put on weight overnight and it's not going to come off overnight. Hoping this helps.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    MFP gave me 1300 a day when I first started. I was fine for a couple of weeks and I thought the constant hunger was normal and dealt with it for a bit. It did get better in some ways but I was so tired in addition to thinking of food constantly that I tweaked my calories.

I am largely sedentary apart from walking the dog and I was still losing on 1800 a day until I hurt my foot. I'm now on 1500 a day and not able to exercise, and I am feeling good. I haven't eaten way over my calories in weeks now and I am still losing weight.

You just have to lose the fear of experimenting a bit until you both feel okay, and you are losing at a sustainable rate. The worst that will happen if you increase too far is that your weight loss will stall, whereas if you keep eating too little then you're just going to be miserable and want to give up.

ETA: I am 5'7", 31, started at 123.7 kg (about 19.5 stone) and now down to 110.1 kg (about 17.5 stone) since mid May. My goal is 70 kg which is the higher end of a healthy BMI. So we have similar goals at this point I think
  • dare2burself4me
    dare2burself4me Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issue... or so I thought... I found a few good articles about the hormone Leptin and it's role in the body (see WebMD link). I also discovered that I was having some acid reflux which I was mistaking for hunger feelings. Once I convinced myself it was something other than hunger (or my brain tricking my body into being hungry), it got better. :smile:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/features/the-facts-on-leptin-faq#1
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit fed up today. It's been bang on a month since I started my healthy eating plan. I am always hungry. I'm sat here right now with my stomach growling knowing I need to save my remaining 600 calories for the evening because that's when I'm most likely to need them. Because of this hunger, I've been REALLY moody and irritable for the past month and it's bothering me that people have noticed. My boyfriend said he noticed a change as soon as I started counting calories and that I'm always low, upset or argumentative, but that is how I get when I'm hungry.

He then starts going on about how he likes me the way I am and prefers me happy and big than moody and trying to lose weight. I don't want to hear that. Why can't my mood be okay whilst I'm counting calories.

Does anyone have any advice on this because what I'm doing at the moment is not sustainable with my mood swings?
    I've lost 16 pounds but have 7 and a half stone to go until my BMI is normal so it really feels like I'm not going to be able to do it. I don't want to be a moody mess for the next year. I will be single by the end of it that's for sure.

I don't understand why I'm hungry. I'm eating reasonably large meals to try and stay full but my stomach is hurting from hunger! I make sure I am constantly drinking water to check it's not thirst.

EDIT: left off my stats, sorry.
    I eat 1370 a day (that's what MFP came up with when I put everything in). I weigh 214 pounds and am 5 foot 5. Female. I'm 25.

If it is hunger (and I suspect it is) then look at your goals such as moving from 2lb a week to 1 or 1.5.

Look at the foods you are eating and note which days you are feeling hungrier and see if you can fit in more protein and fats to help keep you feeling fuller longer.

As well make sure if you are exercising you are eating back some of those calories...

and ensure you are eating what you are logging...by that I mean...get a food scale...

I think you will be surprised at some of the things that you could be eating more of or less of.

For example...

on the packages of cottage cheese...

1/2 cup or 125 grams...125 grams is a lot more than 1/2 cup so go with the food scale...more food same calories.

or

Cereal...3/4 cup or 85 grams...guess what 85 grams is less than 3/4 cup so you should not be eating as muc.

and for me protein (cheese) beats out carbs (cereal) every day.
  • Zengrizzly
    Zengrizzly Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast. I usually get up at about 7am and don't have my first food until around 1pm. Continuing my fast from sleep doesn't seem to bother me much if I didn't eat carbs the previous day and then I have all of my calories for lunch and dinner. It works for me. I have an open diary if you'd like to see how I eat. That works for me. The other way is to get more cardio in. If you're at 225, then walking at 3.0 mph for 30 minutes will get you a decent amount of calories to eat more on.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I would have to assume that you are looking to lose like 2 lbs a week? I would first start off by adjusting the amount you want to lose weekly to 1lb a week so that you can increase your calories. Slow and steady wins the race, I know we all just want to lose the weight like yesterday but there has to be a balance if you are going to sustain this healthy lifestyle. Doesn't do you much good if your hangry all the time, you will eventually just give up. Your body will adjust to a lower calorie count over time, and maybe then think about lowering it gradually. Eat plenty of satisfying meals, protein, healthy fats, fiber... at least for me they keep me fuller longer and drink a ton of water. I drink half my weight in water every day and that keeps me from feeling hungry. 70lbs down and I am still drinking half my weight in water from 70lbs ago because my body craves it now. Makes small changes, get your body use to those changes, then add another change. You can't just go from eating a certain way to automatically changing it and not expect your body to be like WTF?? That is why they call it a lifestyle change and not a diet.... changing your lifestyle takes time. so you need to decide what is more important to you... a higher loss on the scale where you are unhappy and hungry all the time or a slower loss being happy and satisfied. You tend to keep the weight off when it is done at a slower pace, this isnt a quick fix, its a lifestyle. Good luck!
  • managematics
    managematics Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Why not even start at 0.5 / week and set your daily calorie budget based on that? You can always eat less than budget on some days, and that will feel like more of a success and motivation. It will also allow you to avoid the discouragement of going over on some days. Set yourself up to succeed.

If you find that eating at that level is always more then enough, you can then decrease your goal to 1 / week.

In my opinion, the most important thing is to find something you can do consistently and to feel good about it. Starting with modest goals and then increasing always seems more satisfying than starting with high goals and needing to cut back.

Just my experience. YMMV.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Didn't you say you lost 16 lbs in one month in your first post? Four pounds a week is not really a good idea, no wonder you're hungry.

For this to work, there is no end date, you will have to be aware of your food intake for the rest of your life in order to keep the weight off. Maintenance is as hard (or even harder) for most people as dieting. So you might as well get settled in now with something you can stand for the rest of your life. Try eating better, more filling and satisfying foods for the same calories, and eat more of them.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", 125 pounds, and lose on 1400 net calories. You can absolutely eat much, much more.

Yes, it will be a lttle slower, but it will also be easier to stick to, so your chances of success greatly increase. Plus, your mood will improve and you'll have more energy.

1800/day, as mentioned above, sounds like a great place to start. Be aware that when you increase your calories, you're likely to retain a bit of water weight, so don't be discouraged if the scale increases a bit or stalls for a week or so. Just stick with it and everything will be fine.