Any cross-fitters??

Options
I've been crossfitting consistently for almost a year now and I've never looked back, it almost feels weird to step into a regular gym again. I've seen more results from crossfit than years in a regular gym but that's just me. Any other crossfitters feel the same?

Replies

• Myles10987
    Myles10987 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, I completely agree! I've been doing CrossFit for the past 2 months and have seen way more results than hot yoga and running. Strength training and HIIT for the win!
  • Myles10987
    Myles10987 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've just been putting in like 250 calories burned for my WOD... I don't wanna go through the trouble of calculating every workout, and I've heard FitBit and Apple Watch can be an average of 30% inaccurate in calculating calories, so I'm just using 250. It feels low, and I'm sure some days in an hour between warm-up and WOD I burn closer to 500 maybe? But I'm keeping it simple. What do you guys do?
  • BmoreLikeMike12
    BmoreLikeMike12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mainly METCONs, EMOMs and AMRAPs with various workouts that MFP doesn't recognize so when I log my workouts, I just use circuit training. Today was 3 rounds of 4 min AMRAP consisting of 12 wall balls(20lb), 9 toe 2 bar and 38 DUs with 2 min rest between rounds.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    CrossFit addict here. Though I still enjoy running (freedom, alone time, sunshine and fresh air) and yoga for mobility and flexibility. However CrossFit has pushed me to achieve what I never could in the gym.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I'm about a week into starting crossfit, and I'm liking it so far!

One thing I have noticed though (coming from powerlifting/bodybuilding) is that certain movements aren't emphasized enough for most people to get very good at them.
    Our strength portion yesterday, for example, was bench press cluster sets - 3x1x3 @ 90%. Bench press is a movement I would typically train 1-2 times a week, whereas it might come up once a month in a WOD? I noticed many of the other women were not very good with bench press, I assume because they don't practice it often. I know benching isn't really a super important skill for crossfitters, but I think the same principle applies for most of the heavier lifts. (I know it will be hard for me to learn the Oly lifts when we only work on them sporadically.)
    I have no doubt I'll get in better shape and build strength, but I'm hoping to find a good balance between crossfit and some type of structured gym routine like I'm used to.
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I did CrossFit for three years before the gym across the road closed. So sad. :( In response to Myles' question, I always wore my heart rate monitor, and on average I burned about 10 calories per minute doing the WOD portion of the workout (I didn't use the HRM for the lifting portion, just counted the burn there as bonus). I know everyone's burn is different based on weight, build, and level of fitness, but that will maybe give you an idea. I am 5'10" and at the time was about 30lbs overweight (just over 200lbs) and quite fit (ran long distance regularly).

Hope that helps! :)
  • rlaramee2
    rlaramee2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Never done CrossFit, nor do I plan to, but my workouts are pretty similar to what goes down in a box. And yes, I've seen fantastic results doing MetCon style workouts. However, I have a gym in my house, so it doesn't make sense to pay boutique prices to workout.
  • Xfitgrl7
    Xfitgrl7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Love Crossfit. Been at it for 4 years. Results are unmatched.
  • johnny_19
    johnny_19 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Going to my first crossfit class a week from Saturday. :o wish me luck!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

One thing I have noticed though (coming from powerlifting/bodybuilding) is that certain movements aren't emphasized enough for most people to get very good at them.
    Our strength portion yesterday, for example, was bench press cluster sets - 3x1x3 @ 90%. Bench press is a movement I would typically train 1-2 times a week, whereas it might come up once a month in a WOD? I noticed many of the other women were not very good with bench press, I assume because they don't practice it often. I know benching isn't really a super important skill for crossfitters, but I think the same principle applies for most of the heavier lifts. (I know it will be hard for me to learn the Oly lifts when we only work on them sporadically.)
    I have no doubt I'll get in better shape and build strength, but I'm hoping to find a good balance between crossfit and some type of structured gym routine like I'm used to.

Does your box have open gym? Or allow for times outside of class to do Olympic work? That is a drawback when dealing with the higher skilled movements.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Does your box have open gym? Or allow for times outside of class to do Olympic work? That is a drawback when dealing with the higher skilled movements.

Yes to open gym, unfortunately there aren't usually coaches there during that time though.
    My biggest issue right now is usually being too fatigued from the WOD to get much quality skills/strength work done after. I'm not really sure how to navigate that yet!
  • cbrealtor55
    cbrealtor55 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Crossfit for 20 months and lost 100 lbs. Yes, it's an addiction especially after you see the results. I gave up really trying to log Crossfit workouts on MFP. We have a barbell club every Saturday morning at my box and that's when we work on form.
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Teach me oh wise ones. I'm 55 and I am 5'8" 226lbs, and it's NOT muscle. lol.
    I have not done any workouts in over a year, in this last year.... I've put on 25lbs.
    Sounds like I need to get in shape before I step foot into a cross fit box.

Looking for a good starting plan on starting my weight loss and getting healthy.

Add me and help.
  • Everdecreasingwaistline
    Options
    I'm another crossfit junkie I absolutely love it & I think I'm fitter & stronger than I've ever been. I do still need to sort out my nutrition thought & lose some weight to be able to have any chance of doing unassisted pull ups.
    I've been doing crossfit for almost 1 year & don't think I could go back to doing normal gym classes/workouts. I still 'like' to do a bit of running/walking to help clear my head but crossfit is deffo my thing - they've even got me doing burpees which I totally refused to do before - still hate them but they are a means to an end I suppose

you deffo don't need to get in shape before starting crossfit - you can scale all the movements to your ability and progress from there - it's just a case of finding the right box & coach(es) for you
  • cbrealtor55
    cbrealtor55 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    I have not done any workouts in over a year, in this last year.... I've put on 25lbs.

Looking for a good starting plan on starting my weight loss and getting healthy.

Like Anna said you don't have to be in shape to start. It's scaled to your abilities. My advice is to just start a couple days a week. You will be so sore that's all you will be able to handle when you start. My other advice is to listen and be consistent.
  • Everdecreasingwaistline
    Options
    yeah you will definitely be sore after your first few crossfit workouts (run over by a bus kind of sore ;-)) It does get easier, build up the frequency slowly to whatever you feel you can handle & get plenty of sleep too - you will need it
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Add me and help.

You do not need to get in shape beforehand...CF will take care of that fairly quickly. Any reputable box is going to require you to take foundation courses in order to teach you the basics. You should take full advantage of these because proper form is an absolute must. I started CF in 2011 and went 5 days a week through 2013. Then I fell off the wagon. I just started up again and because I am much heavier, I hired a trainer at the box to assess my form and build up my confidence. I finished my last session with her today and couldn't be happier with the work we did. I am excited to join the regular sessions starting tomorrow!
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Add me and help.
    I would try crossfit...depending on the gym there are alot of beginners that are super out of shape. Usually they offer a on ramp class for beginners as well. Don't be intimated if the first crossfit gym doesn't work for you, some are more competive then others. The one I go to is wonderful for beginners!
  • BmoreLikeMike12
    BmoreLikeMike12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    To each everyone's own... I've seen more results in months of consistent crossfit than in years in a standard gym. CF pushes me to achieve milestones I'd never come close to in a standard gym but it depends on you. You know how you are. For me, I can get lazy very quick haha, CF snaps me out of that. In a standard gym I'm like ok I guess I'll do this or that and barely break a sweat. In CF I'm sweating bullets on the warm up and I'm loose and motivated for the WOD, that with some BCAAs(amino nrg, shout out to 5 star nutrition) has me in the zone. As long as CF is a thing, you'd wouldn't catch me in standard gym unless I absolutely had no choice(not knocking gyms at all) but where I am physically, they don't do anything for me anymore. Good insight from all different points of view.