Magnesium Supplements for better sleep?

Options
tinkerbellang83
tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hola folks, this is indirectly weight loss related - I have almost always had trouble sleeping but since I have started losing weight it's got worse and I maybe get about 1-2 hours of deep sleep per night and toss/turn the rest.

I have tried all the usual stuff- not watching tv in bed, blue light filter/not using phone late, not eating late, having a small snack late, warm milk, herbal tea (non-caffeinated), avoiding caffeine and sugar in the afternoon, black out curtains, eyeshades...

I have ordered some magnesium supplements as they were relatively low cost, just wondering if anyone else has given the supplements a go and what their experiences have been.

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have found that magnesium oxide is the worst. Magnesium citrate is the most I can afford. At least 200mg. I have found that drinking a low sodium v8 at night really helps me sleep through the night (could potassium also help?). I also take melatonin 3mg, but it's not working (helps me fall asleep, but I wake up at 2 am)
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    sometimes a too strict a deficit or overexercising can cause sleeplessness, speaking from personal experience.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    elfin168 wrote: »
    sometimes a too strict a deficit or overexercising can cause sleeplessness, speaking from personal experience.

I am in only a moderate 500 cal deficit (eat all my exercise cals), still 50lbs above healthy BMI and take regular diet breaks and I am definitely am at no risk of over-exercising :lol: I jog 2-3 times per week, walk the same amount that I used to walk before losing weight and do strength training 2-3 times per week. I have at least 2 rest days where the only exercise I get is walking to/from work and a bit of yoga.

Thanks for your input though, it may help someone else who has a similar query

• tinkerbellang83
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have found that magnesium oxide is the worst. Magnesium citrate is the most I can afford. At least 200mg. I have found that drinking a low sodium v8 at night really helps me sleep through the night (could potassium also help?). I also take melatonin 3mg, but it's not working (helps me fall asleep, but I wake up at 2 am)
    *I once read that vitamin D deficiency (also b12 and iron) can cause insomnia. Do you take a daily multivitamin? When on a low calorie plan, many people recommend one. https://www.verywell.com/can-vitamin-deficiency-cause-insomnia-3014720

It's magnesium citrate (450mg), B6 and zinc in the capsules I've bought, got them from MyProtein when I was ordering something else, they were about 7 euros by time discounts, etc were applied. I am fine on Vit D, B12 & Iron, I eat a fairly balanced diet and already take a multi-vitamin/mineral that includes almost everything but a decent dose of Magnesium lol

Thanks for the feedback, I am it will be helpful to someone.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I would like to hear if there is better than magnesium citrate from others. Magnesium I think is the key for me. When I get insurance, I'm going to ask for a vitD test. http://www.thesleepdoctor.com/2016/02/26/low-on-vitamin-d-sleep-suffers/
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I take magnesium as part of my regular vitamin regimen, but for sleep I take melatonin. If my sleeplessness is really bad, I'll throw in a vistaril, but that makes me kind of groggy the next day.
  • Javagal2778
    Javagal2778 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use a magnesium supplement called Natural Calm. I drink it after dinner and sleep so deeply! It made a huge difference for me.
  • stacyshan
    stacyshan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of Natural Calm too, it seems to work well.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I take magnesium as part of my regular vitamin regimen, but for sleep I take melatonin. If my sleeplessness is really bad, I'll throw in a vistaril, but that makes me kind of groggy the next day.

I am a bit wary of Melatonin supplements, they seem to have an excessive amount in them compared to the amount needed by the body
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Options
    And, if you tell your doctor, all they do is give you prescriptions that have tons of side effects. Even weight gain. Seems we have to figure this out for ourselves.
    I noticed that Natural Calm has 350+mg of magnesium citrate. I'm going to "up" my nightly dose a bit. I get mag citrate at wallmart.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I take magnesium every night. When I first started taking it, I took it in the morning with my multivitamin & after a few days of feeling sluggish all day, figured out it was the magnesium. Switched it to night & it has helped me sleep. I take 250mg at night.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how much magnesium helps - but melatonin is a godsend. Just be careful as it interacts with some medications, including birth control.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with the dosing of Magnesium Citrate as in the citrate form it can act as a mild laxative (think coffee like effect) probably nothing to worry about just wanted to put it out there in case you have issues. I take it for migraines and I cannot take it the same time I drink coffee or it has a rather unpleasant effect, but I also have IBS so I may be an abnormality. :)

My mom takes magnesium citrate daily to help with her chronic constipation so it has many uses!
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with the dosing of Magnesium Citrate as in the citrate form it can act as a mild laxative (think coffee like effect) probably nothing to worry about just wanted to put it out there in case you have issues. I take it for migraines and I cannot take it the same time I drink coffee or it has a rather unpleasant effect, but I also have IBS so I may be an abnormality. :)

My mom takes magnesium citrate daily to help with her chronic constipation so it has many uses!

Not an abnormality...definitely be careful with the dose, lol. Mag citrate is sometimes used to clear people out pre-colonoscopy.

Magnesium also has a muscle relaxing effect. I've found it helps relieve sore muscles post-workout.
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes, my husband and I take magnesium before bed. It really helps us.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll see how it goes and report back after my first week
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic.
    I have exactly same sleep issues. Melatonin does absolutely nothing for me.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Magnesium (along with potassium and sodium) have solved the issues I used to have with getting charley horses in the middle of the night, but for sleeping issues I go with melatonin. There are supplements with various levels if you're concerned about that- I usually take 5mg, but you could cut that in half and see if that's enough for you. I tried 10mg a couple times but it made me way too tired the next morning.

Reading a book before bed helps me too because it helps clear my mind and stop focusing on things I'm stressed or anxious about.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'm on a rather high dose of magnesium complex for my migraines (neuro recommends it) and I sleep like a baby. I don't know if there's a correlation or not, but thought I'd throw that in there.

I will mention that the laxative effect is real. I had to titrate up to my current dosage to avoid embarrassing myself.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I take valerian for sleep issues. Magnesium citrate was nice, but not to my IBS...