Why am I gaining weight with reverse dieiting??

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Jay9201 wrote: »
    @deannalfisher I don't want to cut back on carbs otherwise I'm back in the same place do I just stay consistent with how much I'm eating now?

I'm not telling you to cut carbs...at all...I'm saying that when you increase your carbs, there will be an increase in weight because they add additional water weight...that will go away as your body readjusts (FWIW, I do 300+g of carbs most days of the week)
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited August 2017
    I need some help fitnesspal fam, I'm gaining weight with reverse dieting!

I don't know what you mean by "reverse dieting," but with IF you still have to eat only an amount that creates a deficit. I assume you're eating too much for your needs. You should measure and log everything you eat.
  • Jay9201
    Jay9201 Posts: 119 Member
    @livingcleanlivingclean I don't have any medical conditions when I went to the Dr I was referred to the weight loss clinic who put me on meds that made me ill and just said I have a broken metabolism and to cut carbs. I do weigh everything lol that's what I said tracked and weighed every item that why I was on the verge of an eating disorder. That 17kg took me two years to lose it was a very slow weight loss and apparently I should have shed more in two years.

@deannalfisher I'm going to be consistent and see what happens
  • Jay9201
    @Verdenal thank you I can't eat 8 meals that's quite a lot I'm struggling with 3 meals and a snack but I just wanted to know is my weight gain due to me adding carbs into my die again with reverse dieting. Majority have said yes :)
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Verdenal wrote: »

I don't know what you mean by "reverse dieting," but with IF you still have to eat only an amount that creates a deficit. I assume you're eating too much for your needs. You should measure and log everything you eat.

"Reverse dieting" is a big thing in the body building community... sort of bro science that you can slowly increase the calories you eat and get your body to burn more in response. So you might be at maintenance at 1,500 calories but want to eat more. Reverse dieting says you can increase calories very slowly (increase CI) and force/encourage/trick your body into increasing your CO so that you keep maintaining... so the goal is to in the end be at maintenance at >1,500 calories.

You have to be super anal on calories in since the increase in calories is so tiny. Like if you eat 1,500 a day at maintenance start eating 1,545 a day (3% increase) for several weeks, then 1,590 a day for several weeks, etc.

I'm not saying it works or doesn't work, that's just my understanding of it. Sounds like bro science to me but some people swear by it. I've never tried.
  • Jay9201
    @Verdenal reverse dieting is when you up your calories bringing your metabolism out of the low calorie set point it was at. IF is so good I'm hardly hungry and I'm more accountable however I feel eating 3 meals and a snack is too much. I'm still at a calorie deficit as my TDEE is 2129 and I'm meant to be eating 1,500 I'm eating 1,300 max now.
  • Jay9201
    I can't eat more than what I am anyways
  • Jay9201
    Oh I understand now. Yeah that's actually a good point. Thank you!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    @Verdenal thank you I can't eat 8 meals that's quite a lot I'm struggling with 3 meals and a snack but I just wanted to know is my weight gain due to me adding carbs into my die again with reverse dieting. Majority have said yes :)

They didn't mean to eat all 8 meals in one day. They meant to have 4-8 meals that you can switch back and forth between.
  • Jay9201
    Guys I know why I gained!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Verdenal wrote: »

"Reverse dieting" is a big thing in the body building community... sort of bro science that you can slowly increase the calories you eat and get your body to burn more in response. So you might be at maintenance at 1,500 calories but want to eat more. Reverse dieting says you can increase calories very slowly (increase CI) and force/encourage/trick your body into increasing your CO so that you keep maintaining... so the goal is to in the end be at maintenance at >1,500 calories.

You have to be super anal on calories in since the increase in calories is so tiny. Like if you eat 1,500 a day at maintenance start eating 1,545 a day (3% increase) for several weeks, then 1,590 a day for several weeks, etc.

I'm not saying it works or doesn't work, that's just my understanding of it. Sounds like bro science to me but some people swear by it. I've never tried.

Thanks for explaining this,I've never heard that term before and it was bugging me haha
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »

They didn't mean to eat all 8 meals in one day. They meant to have 4-8 meals that you can switch back and forth between.

Yes, that is what I meant.