Vegans. Would you give your cat a can of tuna fish?

Options
124»

Replies

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Cats are straight up carnivores. They can't survive on a vegan diet.

As are humans. Look at our eyes and our teeth. We are hunters.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    ive never eaten meat. but i always feed chicken & fish to my dogs and cats
  • misnomer1
    edited August 2017
    Options

my ancestral lineage hasnt eaten meat for the last 1000-1500 yrs, so im pretty sure some some minor genetic adaptation may have happened and will continue to happen.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Someone else already mentioned this, but if a cat isn't eating they need to see a vet right away. It takes a surprisingly short time of going without food for a cat to develop liver damage - sometimes just a couple of days.

As far as the ethics question is concerned, it seems to me that vegans don't go around making sure that all the carnivorous animals in the world eat only plants, so why should a cat be any different just because it lives in your household? If the pet owner does feel that it's different, the only option is not to own a carnivorous pet.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options

No. We're exceedingly adaptable omnivores. That's why there are 7 billion humans on the planet.

A lot of people identify with powerful, intimidating predator species more than the herbivores they prey on. However, one of the interesting things about apex predators is their numbers- they exist in comparatively small populations compared to their prey. A species that solely supports itself by eating primary and secondary consumers in a food web is in a very vulnerable position.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I've been feeding my cat other cats. That's still meat so it's alright, right?

is that like seagulls and magpies eating KFC?
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My cat prefers more dairy.. he is a cheese curd kind of guy; he is from Wisconsin, after all. His name is even Cheesecurd.

(I caught him with my bare hands when he was a feral kitten while I was on a walk on some wooded trail. All we had to lure him out was cheese curds and crackers. The *kitten* bit me too.. right through my thumb nail even though I offered him Wisconsin's best delicacy beyond beer).

This also might be the first time the censor actually can make sense in a post for me.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My cat is outside, garage flap door, goes for food in the woods and pond. He kills all kinds of nature. Fish, squirrels, chickmunks, birds, even fish.
    How can a Vegan own an outside cat? Never thought of this until asking my question. The cat would have to be trapped inside. But then, it would have to be fed cat food that contains meat.
  • misnomer1
    Options
    My cat is outside, garage flap door, goes for food in the woods and pond. He kills all kinds of nature. Fish, squirrels, chickmunks, birds, even fish.
    How can a Vegan own an outside cat? Never thought of this until asking my question. The cat would have to be trapped inside. But then, it would have to be fed cat food that contains meat.

One of my cats just kills for fun, doesn't even eat the birds. Plain evil. Her mother is an angel though.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Should a vegan even own a pet? Doesn't having a cat/dog locked in your backyard or a fish in a tank or a ferret in a cage go against some of the fundamental principles that a lot of vegans hold?

But I hope that if they do own a pet that feed it a good diet regardless of personal beliefs or morals.

If owning a pet doesn't violate your vegan beliefs I sure hope mulnurishment does.

There are inappropriate ways to live with an animal (like locking them in a backyard). There are also thoughtful and appropriate ways to live with animals and since we domesticated them, the only alternative to living with them is slaughtering them. That, IMO, would be a true violation of ethics.

I try to think about what my dogs would prefer and care for them with that in mind. Although I can't know what is in their mind, I think they prefer their current life to not having a life at all.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Should a vegan even own a pet? Doesn't having a cat/dog locked in your backyard or a fish in a tank or a ferret in a cage go against some of the fundamental principles that a lot of vegans hold?

But I hope that if they do own a pet that feed it a good diet regardless of personal beliefs or morals.

If owning a pet doesn't violate your vegan beliefs I sure hope mulnurishment does.
    Good grief. Is that how you treat your cat(s)/dog(s)?

I would hope that keeping a cat or dog locked in a backyard would go against most people's principles, regardless of their dietary choices, to be honest. My cat lives in the house with us. She is a confident, outgoing creature, so she has a catflap and she can leave the house as and when she wishes. Like most Western humans ;) , she prefers having central heating, processed food (the cat food) and soft furnishings, to striking out on her own and living 'off the grid' as a wild creature. If enduring her life constitutes cruelty, then so does mine! If we had a dog, the dog would live in the house, and be walked daily.

I'm not terribly experienced with ferrets, but I have kept fancy rats. Similar to rats, ferret enclosures should be very big (my rat enclosure for two females was 2 feet by 2 feet by 1.5 feet- a ferret cage would be bigger because ferrets are bigger) and the ferrets should be given playtime outside the enclosure (about two hours daily). All the ferret owners I've ever met took their ferrets for walks on leads in addition to playtime. Owners weren't vegan, either. Just good pet owners.

I have two rescue Chihuahua mixes. One weighs 12 pounds, the other 10. One is completely toothless (from his time in a puppy mill). Living in the wild simply isn't an option for them. Any attempt to make them do so would be true animal cruelty.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Do vegans also have their pets on vegetarian diets? How does that work? What about fish food (I have never seen vegetarian fish food).

I had a very sick cat and she would not eat her cat food. She finally took bits of tuna fish.

Gawd I hope not! Cats are obligate carnivores. That aside, if one is vegan because they "love" animals so much, I'd like to think they will see to their own animal's needs, even if it is not to their own preference or taste. If you choose to have the animal, you have made a choice to take care of it.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

I would hope that keeping a cat or dog locked in a backyard would go against most people's principles, regardless of their dietary choices, to be honest. My cat lives in the house with us. She is a confident, outgoing creature, so she has a catflap and she can leave the house as and when she wishes. Like most Western humans ;) , she prefers having central heating, processed food (the cat food) and soft furnishings, to striking out on her own and living 'off the grid' as a wild creature. If enduring her life constitutes cruelty, then so does mine! If we had a dog, the dog would live in the house, and be walked daily.

I'm not terribly experienced with ferrets, but I have kept fancy rats. Similar to rats, ferret enclosures should be very big (my rat enclosure for two females was 2 feet by 2 feet by 1.5 feet- a ferret cage would be bigger because ferrets are bigger) and the ferrets should be given playtime outside the enclosure (about two hours daily). All the ferret owners I've ever met took their ferrets for walks on leads in addition to playtime. Owners weren't vegan, either. Just good pet owners.

I have two rescue Chihuahua mixes. One weighs 12 pounds, the other 10. One is completely toothless (from his time in a puppy mill). Living in the wild simply isn't an option for them. Any attempt to make them do so would be true animal cruelty.

Our Schnauzer mix was a rescue who had spent some indeterminate time living on the street after her previous owners dumped her. (She walked into my brother-in-law's garage and just laid down in the corner). She was sick, malnourished, filthy and terrified. I dare anyone to tell me that she'd be happier or better off living in "the wild."
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Would I give my cat tuna? Maybe once but probably not as buying a can of tuna would support over fishing, among other things. Also the amount of mercury in tuna would prevent me from wanting this to be a treat for cats. I would want to feed my cat a meat based food, which I do, but not tuna. There are better options out there for cats than a can of tuna.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

Our Schnauzer mix was a rescue who had spent some indeterminate time living on the street after her previous owners dumped her. (She walked into my brother-in-law's garage and just laid down in the corner). She was sick, malnourished, filthy and terrified. I dare anyone to tell me that she'd be happier or better off living in "the wild."

Aw, poor girl! I'm glad she found a home with you.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

Aw, poor girl! I'm glad she found a home with you.

Yours too! I have a friend that has at least one Chihuahua who was a breeder in a puppy mill. Those are just beyond heart-breaking.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    3jjn3x83qkqt.jpg