I finally found what worked!

I started my weight loss journey on June 25th of this year, and for a whole month an a half, I worked out 4-6 times a week (cardio and weights) and cut down to 1200 calories, usually going over a bit on Saturdays. My starting weight was 187. But I didn't lose any weight! I actually went up even higher at first, to 192, and fluctuated from 192 to 188 for a month and a half. So starting Sunday I switched it up. I started paying attention to macros, upped my water intake even more (which I didn't think possible), only do cardio, and started only eating between 1pm and 6pm. It was hard at first, but it didn't give me the opportunity to snack, and I think that's what helped. I also get full a lot easier now. I had weighed myself on Sunday, 6 days ago, and I was 191 pounds. I'm now 183! And I'm still eating the same amount of calories. So basically this post is just to tell people to switch things up if they aren't working. I was getting really discouraged.

Replies

• Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    I do Jillian Michaels beginner shred workout everyday, im on workout 2 now day 5, i also have been walking everyday, and I noticed my weight went up by 2 lbs ,the two lbs I'd lost last week , which bummed me out,could it really be due to the strength training exercises? I pretty much stick to the calories im suppose to eat,after doing my workout im a bit under. Will the water weight keep going up if i continue to do jillians workout?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    kokonani wrote: »
    Great job! Intermittent Fast is awesome for this exact reason. It keeps your calories in check because of the smaller eating window. Fasting for longer periods is supposed to do wonders for the body.

Can you elaborate?
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    WooHoo!!!!! I LOVE IF! I do 5:2 or 4:3 when I'm faithful to it. I always lose those weeks. This week I lost 2.4 lbs, ate really well and I didn't exercise at all this week which is unusual for me. Not only that but all my body systems work better when I do IF. Congratulations
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    kgb6days wrote: »
    WooHoo!!!!! I LOVE IF! I do 5:2 or 4:3 when I'm faithful to it. I always lose those weeks. This week I lost 2.4 lbs, ate really well and I didn't exercise at all this week which is unusual for me. Not only that but all my body systems work better when I do IF. Congratulations

Again, can you elaborate?
  • JoJosAnatomymfp
    JoJosAnatomymfp Posts: 178 Member
    I eat all day every day. From January 27th to current day I am down 72lbs.

For two weeks when I started lifting heavier (two weeks ago), my weight loss stalled. I was eating approx 1500 calories at the time and burning about 600 calories. I then upped it to between 1800-2000 calories and I lost 2lbs.

My point being, there is lots of variations we can try. So if IF works, then try that but is it sustainable? If you aren't losing weight, it could be you are eating too little (like me), so play around with calories.

Always always weigh your food too!

Well done on your progress OP.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I eat all day every day. From January 27th to current day I am down 72lbs.

For two weeks when I started lifting heavier (two weeks ago), my weight loss stalled. I was eating approx 1500 calories at the time and burning about 600 calories. I then upped it to between 1800-2000 calories and I lost 2lbs.

My point being, there is lots of variations we can try. So if IF works, then try that but is it sustainable? If you aren't losing weight, it could be you are eating too little (like me), so play around with calories.
    That's not how it works. You may be retaining water from exercise, and fluctuations (and 2 pounds are well within normal fluctuations) can mask weight loss, but eating too little is not stalling weight loss.
    Always always weigh your food
    That's how it works :)
  • Kristen22297
    Kristen22297 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for the comments everyone! I only do IF because I find personally that it helps me plan my 2 meals around calories a lot easier. I eat 1200 calories and don't eat back my exercise calories. I've resumed weight training as well and we'll see how that goes with cardio too.