Exercise cals / hanger slowly driving me insane

Options
Hey y'all, I need help logging exercise cals properly. I know you should avoid eating them all back but I am starving all the time. My phone tracks my steps. I do about 10,000 steps most days, sometimes with some light jogging or weight lifting mixed in every few days (I don't log the jogging bc I don't want to overshoot, I just count it in my regular step count). Yet MFP tells me I have only burned ~100 calories after doing that each day. Is that too low or reasonable? How do you recommend logging exercise calories? I am so g d hungry all the time and eating 1300 calories a day does not feel sustainable if I'm this HANGRY all the time. :s

Replies

• phlegmfatale1
    phlegmfatale1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    What is your activity level set to?

Lightly active
  • phlegmfatale1
    Options
    I have an iphone, and use the Myfitnesspal Steps feature to sync from my phone directly to the MFP app
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the sync is not working properly.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Is your loss set to 2lbs a week?
  • phlegmfatale1
    Options
    Mine is set to 1 lb / week which sets my base calories at 1380 before exercise.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you extra cals only for steps above & beyond your activity level setting. At sedentary I don't get any credit until 5-7000 steps, do lightly active will be higher.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    MFP gives you extra cals only for steps above & beyond your activity level setting. At sedentary I don't get any credit until 5-7000 steps, do lightly active will be higher.

My calories start increasing from 1900-2000 steps set at sedentary.

Lightly active setting starts getting positive adjustments from 5k steps

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Running is weight in lbs x 0.63 x distance in miles
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    How long have you been dieting? How low are your calories from your maintenance calories excluding exercise?

You may need to take a diet break.
  • phlegmfatale1
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    How long have you been dieting? How low are your calories from your maintenance calories excluding exercise?

Thanks everyone.

My maintenance calories are 1,880 / day according to MFP. If I change my goal to losing 1 lb / week it's at 1,380 (the hangry zone) even if I eat back the 100 calories from exercise. I've been dieting on and off for a few years but this year lost 15 lbs from cutting back booze and some calories. Have been hovering around the same weight for a few months while logging food / exercise 90% of the time.

I am thinking about changing my activity level to Active from Lightly Active, not eating calories back and seeing how that goes for a couple weeks. And adding a ton more water, fruits, and veggies
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »

Thanks everyone.

My maintenance calories are 1,880 / day according to MFP. If I change my goal to losing 1 lb / week it's at 1,380 (the hangry zone) even if I eat back the 100 calories from exercise. I've been dieting on and off for a few years but this year lost 15 lbs from cutting back booze and some calories. Have been hovering around the same weight for a few months while logging food / exercise 90% of the time.

I am thinking about changing my activity level to Active from Lightly Active, not eating calories back and seeing how that goes for a couple weeks. And adding a ton more water, fruits, and veggies

Aim to lose 0.5lb per week instead?

Or use a TDEE calculator if you don't want to eat back exercise cals.

This was going to be my suggestion as well. 1 lb a week may too steep of a deficit for you at this point if you're struggling with hunger. You may lose weight slower than you'd like, but better than finding yourself giving in to constant hunger.
    I would also agree with playing with your macro balance, though, to see if that helps to satiate you. For me, 50 carbs/30 fat/ 20 protein works nicely. YMMV.
  • craigspaterson33
    craigspaterson33 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Agree with adding more fruits and vegetables. A proper amount of fiber from these whole food sources will leave you feeling fuller.