Exercise cals / hanger slowly driving me insane

Options
2»

Replies

• rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd change the settings to sedentary.
    Unless you are walking for legitimate exercise, you shouldn't count that.

1300 to 1800 is a big jump. What are your stats?
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've switched to TDEE since getting back into maintenance, but when I was losing, I ate every single calorie exercise gave me and lost right on schedule. I used MFP's estimates, not a tracker.

If you're really hungry, you have a few options:
    1. Log and eat all your exercise calories.
    2. Change your goal to 0.5/week loss.
    3. Both!

Personally, I like #3. I enjoy food. :)
  • phlegmfatale1
    phlegmfatale1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    rmgnow wrote: »
    If I were you I'd change the settings to sedentary.
    Unless you are walking for legitimate exercise, you shouldn't count that.

1300 to 1800 is a big jump. What are your stats?

Changing to sedentary makes little sense to me- I'm hungry with my current calorie intake and that would restrict my calories further. And i work out and walk 10,000+ steps a day. I am 133 lbs.
  • phlegmfatale1
    Options
    Mezzie1024 wrote: »
    I've switched to TDEE since getting back into maintenance, but when I was losing, I ate every single calorie exercise gave me and lost right on schedule. I used MFP's estimates, not a tracker.

3. Both!

I think I'm going to try one of these if I am still feeling this hungry after upping fiber and water! Thank you
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Have you played around with your macros to find out if another way of eating would be more satisfying for you? Speaking for myself I'm happiest with a lot of protein, a fair amount of fat, and mostly high volume carbs such as vegetables, but different people are different. If I let my protein dip too low when I'm working out a lot I start to feel so desperate I could eat my own arm! But a couple of really high protein meals fixes it.

Also, how quickly are you losing? Does your rate of loss match what MFP predicts? If you are losing rapidly you could eat more of your exercise calories.
  • jludwick78
    jludwick78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I found the MFP step tracker calorie credits incredibly inaccurate. If I take 8,000 steps MFP synced to my iPhone only gives me like 100-150 calories like yours. But if I sync it to my Fitbit it gives me like 400-500 calories. I'm set to not active. I haven't been trying to lose weight this summer so I'm not sure which is correct to use but just know it may not be accurate and that why your hungry.

And eat more protein! Good luck!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    jludwick78 wrote: »
    I found the MFP step tracker calorie credits incredibly inaccurate. If I take 8,000 steps MFP synced to my iPhone only gives me like 100-150 calories like yours. But if I sync it to my Fitbit it gives me like 400-500 calories. I'm set to not active. I haven't been trying to lose weight this summer so I'm not sure which is correct to use but just know it may not be accurate and that why your hungry.

And eat more protein! Good luck!

I think your fitbit is inaccurate too. I find it unlikely that you would burn 500 calories from 8,000 steps.

100 calories from 10,000 steps would be about right due to the fact that you have your activity level set to lightly active which means that many of those steps are already catered for within your activity level.

I agree with those saying to play around with your macros and meal timing to work out what most satiates you. Remember that protein, fat and fibre are the 3 that majority find the most filling.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Mezzie1024 wrote: »

3. Both!

I think I'm going to try one of these if I am still feeling this hungry after upping fiber and water! Thank you

I am at "lightly Active" for 10000 steps a day.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The "activity level" settings of mfp were introduced in the age before link-able fitness trackers were introduced. As such, it's a bit of a kluge to try to get the activity level right and then link a device to the website and then try to figure out if you're getting credited for exercise properly.

I don't even have a fitness tracker. I'm a luddite that way. It just appears that anyone would be way more satisfied to change their activity level to "sedentary" on both the site and the device, and then enjoy seeing every little thing they do credited with more calories throughout the day.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Do you think you might be a volume eater? In a nutshell, the idea is to fill up on foods with low caloric density. If you are eating a food with high caloric density (I had a piece of salmon for dinner tonight), have a smaller portion and then balance it with a satisfying (large) portion of a low caloric density food (a mix of roasted onion, summer squash, eggplant, tomato, garlic, bell peppers, and asparagus with a very light sprinkle of goat cheese).

The ideas of the Volumetric Diet by Dr. Barbara Rolls have been invaluable to me.

It is not the right approach for everyone, but for some people, it can be key for successful weight loss.
  • phlegmfatale1
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thanks everyone so much! I do think I'm a volume eater, I am going to try to up my fruits and veg from 5 a day to more like 10 as a goal. I am also going to change my eating times. I find I'm less hungry in the morning and the hanger comes in the late afternoon especially between lunch and dinner. So today I had a couple eggs and fruit for breakfast and was fine until lunch (instead of a bigger breakfast) and I am saving my calories for an afternoon snack if I need it after my workout and dinner. Going to download Plant Nanny later to track my water intake. The protein thing can be hard because I try to stick to a vegetarian diet (I know that people say it's not hard, but I really do struggle with it, since every protein source is like 8 grams vs. the ~30 that is in chicken) but I can definitely improve there. Thanks again for your time!!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you eat dairy, cottage cheese and Greek yogurt are good protein sources!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone so much! I do think I'm a volume eater, I am going to try to up my fruits and veg from 5 a day to more like 10 as a goal. I am also going to change my eating times. I find I'm less hungry in the morning and the hanger comes in the late afternoon especially between lunch and dinner. So today I had a couple eggs and fruit for breakfast and was fine until lunch (instead of a bigger breakfast) and I am saving my calories for an afternoon snack if I need it after my workout and dinner. Going to download Plant Nanny later to track my water intake. The protein thing can be hard because I try to stick to a vegetarian diet (I know that people say it's not hard, but I really do struggle with it, since every protein source is like 8 grams vs. the ~30 that is in chicken) but I can definitely improve there. Thanks again for your time!!

Just be careful of the calories in fruit and sugar-rich veggies. Despite what one of the major weight loss chains would like you to believe, they are not calorie free. For lack of exact measurements, I usually log about 100 calories for a medium sized fruit, sometimes more since grocery stores tend to sell really large fruits.