Anybody else going to....

Options
Chase_The_Pain
Chase_The_Pain Posts: 255 Member
stare at the sun with your bare eyeballs like a real man tomorrow?

I'm so over this eclipse shìt it's ridiculous. People buying $4 solar glasses and selling them for $7. I'd rather stare off into the sun and end it all.

Replies

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You know when you were a kid and people would tell you not to stare at the sun...that just made me do it
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I got some for free at the library. Otherwise I'd just watch on my computer.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Nope I'm using spare welding glasses lenses to watch.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I'll be at work so No.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I had the talk with my 21-year old and told her that at this location we'd be in a totality in 2024. She considered for a moment that this was not so far off and decided to sleep through the partial eclipse tomorrow.
  • Chase_The_Pain
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    I'll be at work so No.

Even most people at work can step outside for a sec and burn their retinas.
  • tammi19731
    tammi19731 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm ready for it to be done with to be honest.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    tammi19731 wrote: »
    I'm ready for it to be done with to be honest.

same here

Sun... blah, blah, blah

Moon... big deal

a lil' shade? so what

let's move on to what's really important....... Football Season

right?
  • lyssamichelle
    lyssamichelle Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I have some glasses that are probably fake, I'm excited. It won't be fully covered here, onky 80% or something. I've never seen an eclipse... plus I'm a nerd
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    I'll be at work so No.

Even most people at work can step outside for a sec and burn their retinas.

Everyone is talking about it at the office this morning. I hope someone has extra glasses. B)
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    We always stared at it when we were told not to .
  • Chase_The_Pain
    Options
    I wonder what the difference is with the special ones they sell and regular sunglasses?
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    I wonder what the difference is with the special ones they sell and regular sunglasses?

I was just reading you need about 400 regular sunglass to give the protection the solar ones gives.
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    sw33tp3a1 wrote: »

I was just reading you need about 400 regular sunglass to give the protection the solar ones gives.

Good thing i have 400 pairs of sunglasses lying around, wouldnt want to have to buy those other ones
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Regular sunglasses don't block near enough of the uv rays that will be coming through. The eclipse glasses will block 99% of them. They are literally pitch black and you can't see anything but the sun through them. Unlike regular sunglasses.

As an eyecare professional, it's not a hoax. You can go partially to fully blind if you look at the eclipse without proper protection. Even for a quick second, the rays will burn your retina without the proper eye wear.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options

Simple answer...they're really friggin dark.
  • Caporegiem
    Options

Regular sunglasses don't block near enough of the uv rays that will be coming through. The eclipse glasses will block 99% of them. They are literally pitch black and you can't see anything but the sun through them. Unlike regular sunglasses.

As an eyecare professional, it's not a hoax. You can go partially to fully blind if you look at the eclipse without proper protection. Even for a quick second, the rays will burn your retina without the proper eye wear.

I wish I'd known this last week. I had a theory that with enough of those roll up sunglasses you get from the eye doctor you could survive looking at the sun but I didn't have a supplier to help me test it out.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »

I wish I'd known this last week. I had a theory that with enough of those roll up sunglasses you get from the eye doctor you could survive looking at the sun but I didn't have a supplier to help me test it out.

I can still send you some to test it out but I am pretty sure it is not going to work. You can't believe all the phone calls we have gotten this past week asking if they can just duct tape several pair of sunglasses together. Ummm no.
  • Caporegiem
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »

I can still send you some to test it out but I am pretty sure it is not going to work. You can't believe all the phone calls we have gotten this past week asking if they can just duct tape several pair of sunglasses together. Ummm no.

We don't have time, after today I have no reason to look at the sun again for the rest of my lifetime. The amount of emphasis they're putting on telling people to not look directly at the sun is somewhat humorous though. I have no doubt there will be plenty of busy eye docs after today though.