40 pounds and I don't see the difference

Options

Replies

• SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I've lost 38 lbs since the last time I was home visiting. I thought for sure the people who last saw me 38 lbs heavier would notice. Not one single person said anything. I was kinda bummed. Oh well, I plan to be at least another 30 lbs lighter by the time I go home for xmas. Maybe they'll notice then. lol
  • phy40
    phy40 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You have dropped 2 dress sizes and you don't see a difference? Two dress sizes is a BIGGGGG difference! I once read, "when thoughts become actions, goals become reality". Maybe you just haven't realized that your goals have become a reality! Never let other peoples opinion define who you are or in your case, what you have become. Best wishes my sister!
  • AntoinetteC
    AntoinetteC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You look terrific i see a big difference, i am not sure if your friend is indeed a TRUE FRIEND. Keep up the good work.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hello fitness pals,
    I have been on mfp for about 8 months now, but this is my first post. i have now lost 40 pounds but i look in the mirror and don't see a difference. I dont think anyone else see's the difference either. My husband says he does, but he may just be trying to lift my spirits! I have gone down 2 clothes sizes but still...I don't see the physical difference in my body.
    I was at the grocery store with a friend the other day and I was buying yogurt, strawberries and some veggies. She said to me, "that's all you eat" and I told her no, this is just some stuff I needed to stock up on. She then said, " no wonder there is no change in you". Now maybe..ok probably, I'm just being over sensitive, but really i know she is being honest.
    I don't know how to post pics on here yet so I can't show you what I am seeing. When will I start seeing the difference??
    I was the same until I started working out with weights. Then I saw my body change before my eyes. I don't know if you workout or not but I have been using a Supreme 90 day and as active as I have always been, this is the first time I've seen my body change it's shape.
    Saw the pic after I posted this. I can see the difference. You look great. Don't give up.
  • ellumi
    ellumi Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree. She has lost weight too and it's super obvious on her. I cheer her on and tell her she looks great. just hoping for the same motivation from her.

You look great! Your progress is awesome..and maybe that's making her feel insecure or jealous. If she's been getting a ton of attention about her loss, maybe she doesn't want you to get the same. Don't let her get you down...keep doing what you are doing - it's working!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    you look so amazing! Keep up the good work!
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    HUGE difference! Your friend is nuts or spiteful.
    And you look great!
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :smile: You have done amazing, keep up the good work.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    This is what I was talking about earlier in this thread...

Try on your old clothes to see the difference!

5053239_5491_thumb.jpg

5053239_3987_thumb.jpg
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    Look at your face! SUCH a big change, not to mention what's going on with the rest of your body! You look fantastic, and you've done a really great job. Shame on your friend - what in the world did she even mean??? What's wrong with yogurt, fruit and veggies??? I eat all of those things daily (well, yogurt more like 3-5 times/week because I don't want it every day, but still...). I'm so confused.

You mentioned that your friend is also trying to lose weight... I would seriously consider spending LESS time with her, it sounds like a toxic friendship. You can support her, but she cannot return the same courtesy, what she said sincerely sounds like sabotage. The proof is in the clothes - you are wearing smaller sizes, so OF COURSE you *look* smaller! It's just difficult for you and your husband to see because you see yourself every day. The pictures say it all, you look very different and all your hard work SHOWS!

Keep it up and don't let anyone discourage you. One of these days you'll look at a recent photo of yourself, or see your reflection, and you won't recognize yourself. One day when I was in a group fitness class, I was admiring someone's reflection in the mirrors thinking "I can't wait until my legs look like that." Then I thought "That person is wearing the same shorts as me..." It was a pleasant surprise when I realized they WERE my legs!

You are beautiful and have made GREAT progress! :flowerforyou:
  • Fitandsexy_fe
    Fitandsexy_fe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    40 pounds is HUGE! dont be so hard on yourself. you are doing great. and friends always tend to discourage without realizing they are. so keep on doing what you are doing.
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You look great! plus, you have a really handsome guy on your side to boot! lol!
  • aldiaz381
    aldiaz381 Posts: 21
    Options
    Girl you look GREAT!! I can see a HUGE difference all over! Great Job!!

Your "friend" is mean and jealous! She probably wants to sabatage your weight loss so she can be the "skinny" friend. Unfortunatly there are people out there like that. Get some new cloths that fit you and get rid of negative people in your life!
  • sheffiej34
    sheffiej34 Posts: 91
    Options
    ... but serioulsy, all my clothes are too big for me, i don't sweat profusely while trying to do my job anymore, and my face looks alot thinner, my double chin is almost gone, i thought it was obvious, that i'm not as fat as i way... the women have noticed, but the men, nup...
    [/quote]

I had to laugh. I so understand you. All the girls have noticed my weight loss over a 2 month period of time. I work with a lot of men and not one said a peep until recently. In the middle of a conversation he stopped cold and said " are you losing weight? you look different?"

30 pounds lighter to get a comment from 1 guy ... No wonder they have the stigma of being unobservant !
  • tanyamelliott
    Options
    I would guess that you need to do more weights in the gym and strength training because that will tighten you up and make your metabolism better too. And stay positive, even if you haven't noticed a drastic change (even though 40 lbs is a fabulous accomplishment) it's good for your over all health. Especially if you start doing ab workouts and light weights you'll start to see it. And if you're not yet doing cardio, add it. Or do more, for example I do at least 25 minutes a day but I go really hard on the bike, elliptical, or whatever machine I am on...an I run at least 3 mile a week! Running is the best cardio so that may be something to try too! And look at your food intake, maybe substitute lean proteins for fatty ones? Keep in mind a weight loss is better than maintaining and maintaining is better than gaining!;) good luck, stick with it! Physical changes are slow to come sometimes but worth the while!
  • glp724
    glp724 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I can see a difference for sure! You look great and keep it up!

I know that when people see you daily it's hard to realize when your'e changing, but saying what your "friend" said is super crappy. Sorry your feelings were hurt.
  • jon_brady
    jon_brady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I see the difference and agree with other your friend is either to close to see the difference or jealous. There may be a third option some people just don't know how to say anything nice unfortunately I have gained it all back but at one point I was down 54lbs. My mother hadn't seen me in 8 weeks and when she did all she had to say was " You've got boobs. The nay sayers and negative people can go jump in a lake you are doing awesome and you look great.

Jon
  • espinozAgal
    espinozAgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    THanks everyone above!!! You guys are all great. I wish I had found these message boards before today because it has made my day. All of your compliments have me walking around the house with my head held a little higher and my smile a little bigger!!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Well I see a huge difference too so keep up the good work and to hades with all those naysayers!! Don't let them discourage you!!!
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Something my WW coach said one time really stuck with me. She used WW to lose 75 lbs. She said, one day she was gardening in an old ratty shirt from when she was bigger and realized she needed to make a run to the store, so she went in her big baggy shirt. As she walked up to the doors of the store and saw her self in the reflection, she had a flash back to when she had all the weight (she said for a long time she had a hard time not seeing herself as the "bigger person" and would be shocked when she saw herself in the mirror all skinny). She said she realize that keeping/wearing the bigger clothes for her was like allowing herself an out (in case she failed), she realized at the moment, she never wanted to see herself like that again and went home and got rid of all of the larger clothes that night.

I realize it's not always feasible to get rid of everything at once, but maybe it's time to start pairing down the bigger clothes in your wardrobe. It might help you feel better about your healthier self to have those smaller clothing label numbers when you put your clothes on in the morning. :)

BTW, you are lookin' good in the after pictures! Boys can be stupid, girls can be back bitey (sometimes they're just jealous or insecure about themselves so they don't like to acknowledge or encourage the success of those around them, because then that would mean that they themselves are failures). You are lookin' good and on the road to awesome--it makes us sad when friends and co-workers don't acknowledge/encourage/accept our successes, but that doesn't make them any less great! That's why we're fitness pals! So that even when the people around us don't "get it" there are still those of us around to help and encourage.

You are not alone!

(My sister got SUPER snarky and discouraging when my mom and I joined WW together...we figured it made her feel insecure since she's somewhat overweight herself...not that it matters, as long as you're happy as you are...but why tear down other people? I don't get it...oh well). A little bit rant, little bit encouragement. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!