So many questions

Options
2»

Replies

• silveiraicaro
    silveiraicaro Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How do you all get and stay motivated to work out? I always give up
    How do you eat healthy if you don't like salads and are picky with food?
    How do you eat healthy when you don't have the money to afford healthy food?

Looking for friends and people to help motivate me and I will do the same. Add me and shoot me a message.

Stay motivated is a matter of mindset. Try watching videos or instagram or even a poster at your bedroom. Eat 'healthy' depends a lot of your goal. You don't necessarily need to eat veggies and salad, you can use a lot of suplements (not expensive ones) that can help you with that. Healthy food isn't expensive if you do the math. Most of my diet is composed by rice (white), eggwhites and chicken, with some variations like chicken -> meat and rice -> spaghetti. Most of those things aren't so expensive here (Brazil). I hope that i could help you
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm 5 years into this and motivation isn't a factor, but I am committed to seeing this through to the end, (which is about 50 more years for me, give or take a few).

I eat very 'healthy' but I don't usually eat salads. I follow the DASH protocol and use that template when I plan what I'm going to be eating for the day.

I feed a family of 5 and 2 cats with a $100 a week grocery budget-this also includes non-food items as well. We're all in good health, except for my husband's blood pressure issues which is familial, and we're all healthy weights, (I have a current bmi under a 20). I've shared tips before on ways to get a grocery budget under control, I can copy/paste them if you'd like them.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Yes I know how to cook very well. It's just a matter of feeling my 3 kids who are picky eaters.

I have 6 kids and I don't allow picky eaters in my house. Stop being a short order cook; it's a ridiculous use of your time. They will eat what you give them- trust me.
    I think your other questions have been covered quite well.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    1. I don't work out and still lose weight. It's not a deal-breaker.
    2. Eat foods that you like, but eat portions that fall within your calorie goal.
    3. See #2. You don't have to spend any money on "health food."
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options

Looking for friends and people to help motivate me and I will do the same. Add me and shoot me a message.

How do you all get and stay motivated to work out? I always give up - I have too.... I stay motivated for a while then get disappointed, stress and live gets in the way... so... I give up.

How do you eat healthy if you don't like salads and are picky with food? I like to eat healthy.... but my wife doesn't, and since she cooks most of the time...... I feel sabotaged.
    How do you eat healthy when you don't have the money to afford healthy food? .... good question.

Looking for friends and people to help motivate me and I will do the same. Add me and shoot me a message
  • SilentDan82
    SilentDan82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    1. Find a sport you like where the exercise happens without you even thinking about it. For example, if you like to play soccer then you won't be thinking about your heart rate, distance traveled, time remaining, etc. while you're playing, you'll be thinking about getting that ball closer to the opponents goal and scoring. The cardio workout will just happen while you're having fun playing a game.

2. Eating healthy and eating to lose weight are not necessarily the same thing and both terms are kind of subjective. If you just want to lose weight then just track your calories and you'll do fine without salads. If you're concerned about clean eating and nutrition density, there are plenty of ways to have vegetables without salads and adding a bit of fruit will help with that as well.

3. As others have said, expensive is a relative term so I'm not sure what you're hoping to buy at the grocery store. If you're buying wild salmon, grass-fed beef, organic produce, etc. then yes, it will be expensive. You don't need to go that far though.

Feel free to add me. I just started my weight loss journey a week ago so kind of in the same stage as you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes I know how to cook very well. It's just a matter of feeling my 3 kids who are picky eaters.

Sorry, but maybe your kids are picky eaters because you label yourself as a picky eater. I'm sure peeps can give lots of ideas how to address kiddos if you want to. Even so, it has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • Bordergirl14
    Bordergirl14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you are a good cook and enjoy it, perhaps the kids can get on board with each planning and preparing a meal a week. Maybe if they are involved they will be less "picky" because they are excited about it and involved with it. You can use this as an opportunity to teach them some healthy life skills while you practice them. This may help keep you excited about the process as well. Teaching is a really great way to learn. Good luck!
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Wanted to add about the picky kid thing-I have an ADHD son and he'll go without eating if the food doesn't grab his attention, (he has very little interest in food and does not have normal hunger cues). I have no problem buying/making him different foods, and I've just learned how to fit in his needs with my schedule/budget. It's really not a big deal to adjust things to make it work once you get the hang of it.

I also eat completely differently than my family, since I do IF, as well as follow the DASH protocol and they don't. I've figured out how to make things work smoothly for my family, and with a bit of time and experimentation you'll be able to do the same :)
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Wanted to add about the picky kid thing-I have an ADHD son and he'll go without eating if the food doesn't grab his attention, (he has very little interest in food and does not have normal hunger cues). I have no problem buying/making him different foods, and I've just learned how to fit in his needs with my schedule/budget. It's really not a big deal to adjust things to make it work once you get the hang of it.

I also eat completely differently than my family, since I do IF, as well as follow the DASH protocol and they don't. I've figured out how to make things work smoothly for my family, and with a bit of time and experimentation you'll be able to do the same :)

Yes! My son also has ADHD and is very sensitive about the tastes and textures of foods. He has literally gagged and thrown up when we tried to get him to eat pasta or rice. The medication causes decreased appetite, so if the food is not something that he really likes - he just won't eat. Not all picky eaters are just stubborn. Everyone else in our family eats the same as I do, but my son requires some special adjustments if I don't want him to lose weight.

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Forget motivation change habits. No motivation needed it is just what you do.
  • MysticGoalie
    MysticGoalie Posts: 328 Member
    Options

When desired it's possible to add your motivation on your profile page, this way possible to look up any time to stay focused reaching your goals

Never restrict any foods, I can't have this or can't have that.. when hungry, what sounds the most yummy to have in the moment & possible how much? See how it affects total calories, macro's..

Being aware if it's a nutritient rich choice (natural foods) or a treat..

Natural foods are lower in calories overall, filling up faster, leaving satisfied for longer.. so possible saving money if eating natural foods 90% .. ;)

Don't eat something you don't like if having the choice, when eating what you don't like first, going to have what truly desired anyway (even if not *hungry* anymore).. when eating what you truly desire first, possible not needing the other food not wanted.. saving lots of calories in the longer run to!

Of course when hungry = eat, if the food desired isn't available to have, see what looks most yummy to have to nourish your precious body from any foods available.

Enjoy all Nourishment <3
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Walking is easy. I got a pedometer and have worked on increasing my steps gradually. 30 minutes to an hour a day of brisk walking is not too hard to do regularly.
    I eat pretty much the same foods I always did just more appropriate portions. Some foods have more nutrients than others. I prelog my food to help me make sure I meet my goals. I am not a picky eater. I love to cook and try new things.
    I meal plan and have a strict grocery budget.

Low budget friendly foods where I live are oatmeal, tuna, whole chicken or chicken thighs, dry beans, lentils, rice, pasta, bread, peanut butter, eggs, potatoes, carrots, apples, ground turkey, cabbage, onions, canned tomatoes, frozen vegetables. None of these foods are unhealthy.

Meal planning is a good place to start if you have a tight budget.
    A healthy diet is not a specific list of food but everything you consume working together to meet your body's needs. You need to look at nutrients of foods you eat and how they fit your whole day. There are a lot of ways to "eat healthy".

You should start with just logging what you normally eat and sticking to your calorie goal. You want to eat in a way you can sustain while losing weight.
    You can alter your diet in small steps like getting more protein or having more vegetables on your plate. Try things prepared different ways and you might find you like some more foods.
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. It is a good idea for health to be active but you can create a calorie deficit through diet alone.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Sorry, but maybe your kids are picky eaters because you label yourself as a picky eater. I'm sure peeps can give lots of ideas how to address kiddos if you want to. Even so, it has nothing to do with weight loss.
    Oh, I so wanted to say this, but I couldn't find the right words. Thank you :)
    If you are a good cook and enjoy it, perhaps the kids can get on board with each planning and preparing a meal a week. Maybe if they are involved they will be less "picky" because they are excited about it and involved with it. You can use this as an opportunity to teach them some healthy life skills while you practice them. This may help keep you excited about the process as well. Teaching is a really great way to learn. Good luck!
    I think this is one of the driving forces in my personal "motivation" to "eat healthy" - and it's just my body that is 47 years old, I'm the same person as I was when I was little - this is the best combination possible, I can pick the meals I want most, I enjoy shopping for groceries, trying new foods and recipes from time to time, and the predictability of "knowing what's for dinner" and what's actually *in* the dinner, is very good for me; I have a tendency towards anxiety, and "food security" is a great help. It also keeps me "grounded" and I feel grateful and privileged. It makes me want to take care of myself and not waste food nor money, nor time. Time spent on cooking and eating good food, isn't wasted, in my opinion.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the responses. I know my questions sound stupid, but they were things that keep crossing my mind and trying to figure out why I never saw results before.

So, maybe you have been asked this before and if so my apologies but what are you looking for?

I've struggled for years. I've had some pretty decent success as I was at 350lbs and lost 100 of that at my lowest (have gained 25 back due to my own lack of stuff) however I was, and still am, a binge eater. I could ruin a weeks worth of habit building in one meal. And I've done it, multiple times. I deal with depression too. However, recently my nutritionist asked me: what's your goal? What are you working towards?

And you know what, I had no idea. I said weight loss. And she said how much? What will your life look like when you have made it? And I have no freakin clue - I still don't. Maybe your motivation, and lack thereof, comes from this. What are you working for? What are your "results"? Have you figured that out? Not just to be healthier - but real, tangible results.

Also, as many have pointed out - "healthy" doesn't mean expensive. Eat within your budget. Now if you're vegan, that's expensive. But if you're just trying to make more nutritionally sound choices then that's easy and doesn't have to make you remortgage your house.

Further, being "picky" and someone said seems childish. Sure there's foods you don't like, there's foods we all don't like . . . but there's about a billion food choices . . . surely there's enough you do like to be able to sustain yourself reasonably well and be nutritionally sound.

ETA: if you know how to cook well, I'm assuming you mean both in taste and in food choice (IE - what you cook is nutritionally sound) then what's the problem? You have 3 kids who are picky eaters because that's what they've become accustomed to.

Child 1: I don't really like this mom
    Mom: Ok - what do you want?
    Child learns if he/she isn't really feeling like eating something they just have to say they don't like it and BAM mom makes them something else.

In my house - and in my parents growing up - dinner was dinner. My mom was making very good, healthy, home cooked meals. Eat what you do like, don't eat . . . whatever, but that was dinner. When she made peas, I just didn't eat them because I really don't like peas. She didn't make a different vegetable . . . I just didn't eat them. It wasn't an option for mom to make something else - she already worked a full day plus coming home to kids, it just wasn't happening. As someone else said, involve your kids in choosing dinners: Monday is child 1, Wednesday is Child 2 and then Friday is Child 3 or something like that. That way they get to have a say so they can speak out about what they like and can't say they don't like what you made.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

I think one of the problems is that people try to do a complete overhaul of their life overnight...no exercise to I gotta do all of the exercise all of the time and yeah...they tend to think it has to be some kind of torturous sufferfest and that hours upon hours must be spent...so yeah...burnout.

I started out pretty slow...I just knew I needed to move more so I started walking. I eventually got into road cycling and rock climbing...those are my two main forms of exercise in addition to lifting a couple days per week. I love to ride and I love to climb and I love to Oly lift...I don't really need motivation for those things...they're fun.

People also tend to have a very myopic perception of "healthy". I eat very healthy, and I rarely eat a salad. "Healthy" doesn't mean that food needs to be bland and boring...I'm a pretty good cook and make most things from scratch, whole ingredients....it's all pretty healthy and very delicious.

If healthy food is expensive, it is likely that you are looking at things specifically marketed as healthy...or worrying about organic, etc...healthy eating and cooking more brought our food budget down.