August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Sorry I haven't logged on - lots of reasons (excuses) but started back today. Probably will not met my goal this month.

8/1 - 3 mile run
    8/2 - Rest Day
    8/3 - Thunderstorms this morning, no running this morning. Thunderstorms are suppose to clear out this afternoon and if the roads are dry enough I will run this evening. If not, dreadmill at the gym. Life happened - work an hour over at job, then when I arrived home my son needed stuff for his football retreat this weekend, so off to the store we went.
    8/4 - 4 mile run
    8/21 -3 mile run

August Total: 7/68
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    8/1 8miles 1hr:16m:25s
    8/2 6miles 60m:39s
    8/3 5miles 46m:32s
    8/4 rest
    8/5 12miles 1hr:57m:36s
    8/6 rest
    8/7 6miles 57m:25s
    8/8 5miles 49m:20s
    8/9 rest
    8/10 13.1miles!!!! 2hr:04m:17s
    8/11 6mi 56m:44s
    8/12 5mi 48m:30s
    8/13 rest
    8/14 6miles 57m:56s
    8/15 9miles 1h:29m:30s
    8/16 rest
    8/17 12miles 2h:02m:55s
    8/18 6miles 58m:49s
    8/19 5miles 49m:16s
    8/20 rest
    8/21 5miles 47m:34s

5 miles this morning. I felt slow, but I was faster than the last time I ran 5 miles. I wonder if I'll ever get back to sub 9 min miles like I did prior to half marathon training?? Back then I never ran more than 5 miles.

• mainemooncat428
    mainemooncat428 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Happy solar eclipse day to everyone! Joined this challenge at the very beginning of August but literally could not get to update until just now because of work issues. However, I have been running! Albeit not enough. Took a lot of great advice and delayed my first half marathon in order to properly train. I will be using Hal Higdon's schedule for a 5K first, though (hence shorter distances recently, running without walking but for shorter distances). Have run a little over 12 miles this month but have also done a fair amount of walking. Work will be crazy until right after Labor Day but still hoping to make my goal. I have enjoyed reading over how everyone is progressing this month. Congrats to all who are running in this hot and humid weather!!

To date:
    RUN
    8/2 - 2 miles
    8/10 - 2.2 miles
    8/11 - 1.8 miles
    8/14 - 2.6 miles
    8/16 - 1 mile
    8/17 - 1 mile
    8/20 - 1 mile

TOTAL TO DATE RUN MILEAGE: 12.1 miles

WALK
    8/5 - 1.9 miles
    8/9 - 0.7 miles
    8/13 - 2.2 miles
    8/19 - 2.5 miles
    8/20 - 1.5 miles

TOTAL TO DATE WALK MILEAGE: 8.8 miles

exercise.png
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

I've been having some motivation issues. I did not run or walk at all this weekend, even though I had plenty of time on Sunday. Now it's Monday and I feel like I should get back to my regular schedule but I just don't want to. Running and walking are starting to get boring I guess. It was bound to happen. I always wind up getting bored with everything and wind up quitting. I would like to not reverse my weight loss progress however, so maybe I need to find something else to do for exercise for a while. Classes, whatever. I don't know. It doesn't help that I've been absolutely exhausted all the time. Hard to exercise when you're butt tired.

I still want to run. I'm just really bored with the routes I take. I want to run somewhere new. I guess I'll be scouting out new routes in the coming weeks.

Hoping to get a few miles after work tonight. Fingers crossed I'm not totally pooped again.
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1/8-REST
    2/8-5.3
    3/8-3.6
    4/8-5.6
    5/8-3.1
    6/8-7.7
    7/8-REST
    8/8-4.3
    9/8-3.7
    10/8-REST
    11/8-8.6
    12/8-rest
    13/8-2.6
    14/8-5.1
    15/8-3.9
    16/8-4.7
    17/8-4.4
    18/8-8.0
    19/8-REST
    20/8-REST
    21/8-5.1
    Total - 75.7/120 Miles
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    SO I just got done with PT. I was talking about running with the dr and she said that she would rather have me run faster for shorter distances like intervals than slower for longer to get the distance in. She said that slow running/jogging can create more injuries. Isn't that the opposite of what most programs teach? Thoughts?
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty - you will find what works for you. What about changing up your playlist?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @respectthekitty - Like you I get bored of running the same routes. I think it makes a huge difference to find new places.
    @seanevan10 I'm sure you will/can get arguments for both sides, faster/shorter vs slower/longer.

http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2016/09/training-tips/slow-running-benefits_64145#jtUzmjbwszRTHLUA.97

http://running.competitor.com/2016/07/injury-prevention/how-running-surface-and-speed-influence-injury-risk_153528
  • zdyb23456
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    So... curtesy of all of you wonderful people... I have been craving hot dogs for weeks now... and I finally remembered to pick some up at the store this week.... I refrained from going completely childish and putting them in mac and cheese... but I didn't stray too far from the idea.

With ketchup of course! :lol:

Absolutely not... don't even like tomatos, why would I bother with the tomato smoothie condiment??? Lol

I went for bunless and ranch dressing.... because umm I could? So, I believe that along with despising ketchup probably puts me in the weirdo category.... The mac and cheese with hotdogs may end up being tomorrow's plan for the leftover hot dogs....

My kids love hot dogs cut up and stirred into mac and cheese! It has to be Kraft though - they dislike any other brand.
  • zdyb23456
    Options
    Hello everyone.

I've been having some motivation issues. I did not run or walk at all this weekend, even though I had plenty of time on Sunday. Now it's Monday and I feel like I should get back to my regular schedule but I just don't want to. Running and walking are starting to get boring I guess. It was bound to happen. I always wind up getting bored with everything and wind up quitting. I would like to not reverse my weight loss progress however, so maybe I need to find something else to do for exercise for a while. Classes, whatever. I don't know. It doesn't help that I've been absolutely exhausted all the time. Hard to exercise when you're butt tired.

I still want to run. I'm just really bored with the routes I take. I want to run somewhere new. I guess I'll be scouting out new routes in the coming weeks.

Hoping to get a few miles after work tonight. Fingers crossed I'm not totally pooped again.

I get bored of the same routes too. I'll be thrilled when the kids are back in school and I'll be able to drive to different areas to run.

I've been using this great website plotaroute dot com. You can see other people's routes in your area or create your own. You can calculate mileage from point A to B, see trails in your area, see satellite image... I love it. It might help you find some new areas to run.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - has it been in a damp place? Is it stuck due to fabric catching or something else? Try dripping lemon juice on it, if there's any limescale clogging the teeth this will dissolve it. Long term run a candle over the teeth and run the zipper a few times. That's what divers do on their suits.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty maybe mix it up a little and do something else for a bit? I've been open water swimming for a change (and to rest my calf) but running as well. Maybe see if there are places you've not yet explored, check them out walking first?
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty - you will find what works for you. What about changing up your playlist?

I don't run with music. I have to keep aware of my surroundings. So, no go there. :/
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent glad the clouds cleared for you. I'll have to look at your pictures at home, you are blocked.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent glad the clouds cleared for you. I'll have to look at your pictures at home, you are blocked.

Well those are instagram links. So if your work blocks Instagram, they will be blocked.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use/have opinions on trek poles? I'm eyeballing the thought of getting some as my trails are becoming...trailier? (is that a word). Anyhow they are expensive so I want to research the idea a little more and this is a great repository of..."information" so I'm looking for some input.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Continuation of previous post
    Monday 8/21 95 minute swim 2 miles 140 laps
    Eclipse
    5.28 miles monthly total 94.27
    94.27/ 100 goal miles
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Non-running check in:

Apparently running a half mile yesterday was too much. This morning my sore ankle did not like me. No running, no weighted calf raises, less than a full set of cone touches. :(

I did get around to putting air in my bike tires, but I didn't actually get out and ride any real distance, just up the street and back to see that it rolled properly. I noticed that while cycling a short distance was easier on the ankle than walking, I could feel that I was doing something. The idea of being 3 or 4 miles from home and the ankle deciding it doesn't want to pedal any more wasn't appealing; but the real issue is a 2 year old style tantrum. I wanna be a runner, not a cyclist!

Oh, well. It is what it is. Took it pretty easy today, and found I still enjoy some sedentary pursuits that are usually squeezed out of my day by running.