August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Great job on your 5k @sarahthes! That's a good time if you were walking part of it! Starting too fast is definitely a problem I've had too, and a lot of people, and knowing that will help your future races. Congrats!!!

Posted too soon - wanted to also say I'm sorry your race did not go the way you wanted it to @JessicaMcB! I'm so impressed with your time despite GI problems, but I really wish you could have the race you trained for.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @wishiwasarunner why oh why has MFP never given us a huge dislike button????
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @wishiwasarunner wow, you take care and follow the doc's orders on that! I do hope you still get your vacation. Be smart tho!

@girlinahat OMG! Dang TomTom! What the heck??? Kitten all you want!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @sarahthes we were at the same race, small world! Congrats on your 5K, Edmonton was a nice course!

@wishiwasarunner thanks, just really frustrated at this point that none of my races this year were close to what I know I can do from training. On the positive side my knees stayed in the whole race.

Small world! Sorry you didn't get the finish you wanted though.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes awesome first race! Congrats! Starting out too fast, especially when it's your first race, is sooo easy to do, lol.

@girlinahat dang, that is one sassy TomTom. I'd be kitten-ing back at it too, lol. Hell, I yell at my Garmin when it tells me to move later on in a day after a long run!

@wishiwasarunner Ugh! Hope you recover and feel better soon! That sounds painful!

@Orphia yay for almost first marathon time! I'm so excited for you, you're gonna rock it!

@JessicaMcB I'm so sorry your race didn't go as you had hoped it would. Stupid GI issues! But yay for non-dislocated knees!

@MobyCarp happy to see that at least some progress is being made! Hopefully you are fully recovered soon!

Omg, I'm sure I've missed some people to respond to, so general good job/feel better/you rock comments for everyone!
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless , @kgirlhart , @katharmonic , @Elise4270 , @girlinahat and @KatieJane83 Thanks for the well wishes and sympathetic ear. I should take my calf and thigh measurements now from each leg to add to the chart. That would really make things interesting since my left calf is about 6 cm larger than the right one now, lol
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I survived! I'm pretty happy with my time, 38:36 for a first 5K when I've only been running since the end of May. I was expecting to be somewhere in the 40-45 minute range so it was a nice surprise. I didn't manage to run the whole thing because I started off waaaaay too fast. I ran until I got to the signs for the turnaround, then walked through that, and run/walked my way to the finish line with a fair bit more running than walking. So overall I'm very happy with how it went and have some ideas for how I will do things next time.

Congrats on your first race! I think universally EVERYONE starts off to fast in their first few races. Takes a while to learn how to pace yourself - especially since the excitement and crowds make you want to run faster. :)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless , @kgirlhart , @katharmonic , @Elise4270 , @girlinahat and @KatieJane83 Thanks for the well wishes and sympathetic ear. I should take my calf and thigh measurements now from each leg to add to the chart. That would really make things interesting since my left calf is about 6 cm larger than the right one now, lol

@wishiwasarunner Oh wow, that's a crazy difference!! Hope you're feeling better for your vacation!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @wishiwasarunner ouch hope you feel better soon
    @jessicaMcB I’m so sorry, still a great time.
    @sarahthes Superb!!! Love the bling
    @girlinahat How rude!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Finally checking in for the day. Other than 3 miles of walking, today was a rest day. This is the second week in a row where I've taken a Sunday rest dsy. However, it's also the second week in a row, where my Saturday run either covered the mileage for both days or was such a long (timewise) run, that a rest day was called for. Minimum of 6 hours TOF running last Saturday and yesterday.

@jessicamcb sorry yesterday didn't turn out well for You! I had a similar issue in thr middle of the OCR course yesterday, when I was waste deep in muddy water.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    So... curtesy of all of you wonderful people... I have been craving hot dogs for weeks now... and I finally remembered to pick some up at the store this week.... I refrained from going completely childish and putting them in mac and cheese... but I didn't stray too far from the idea.

With ketchup of course! :lol:
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    So... curtesy of all of you wonderful people... I have been craving hot dogs for weeks now... and I finally remembered to pick some up at the store this week.... I refrained from going completely childish and putting them in mac and cheese... but I didn't stray too far from the idea.

With ketchup of course! :lol:

Absolutely not... don't even like tomatos, why would I bother with the tomato smoothie condiment??? Lol

I went for bunless and ranch dressing.... because umm I could? So, I believe that along with despising ketchup probably puts me in the weirdo category.... The mac and cheese with hotdogs may end up being tomorrow's plan for the leftover hot dogs....
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I've been training for a 10k, following this novice plan: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program. I completed week 5 today after repeating week 4 because we were on vacation. I was going to race on Sept 2, but had to switch to a Sept 9 race due to having to help my daughter move from Boston to NY. My worry is that move will interfere with my last week of training (I was just going to repeat week 7) since I will have limited access to run while I am travelling (Sept 2-5)

Any thoughts on modifying that awkward filler week?

Also, after the race I want to continue running, but more for enjoyment rather than training. Do I just pick a daily mileage I am comfortable with? Is it safe to run 4 days instead of just 3? Should I continue to vary distances?

Sorry that's a lot...I tend to over think.

@fitoverfortymom

For the extra week, just repeat the last week of the training program and you should be fine. At this point, it's more about the mental aspect than any improvement you could make physically in one more week. As long as your confidence is intact, a week later shouldn't make a noticeable difference to your race.

For running afterward, purely for fun and not training for anything, work at figuring out what fits into your schedule and is fun. If you were training 3 days a week, that's what you start from. If you want to go to 4 days a week, the first week make the distance shorter on each of the days so that the total week is the same mileage or only a modest increase. After that, keep the increases in distance modest from week to week until you get to how much you actually want to run. Varying the distances from one day to another is a good practice, even if it's a simple as having a longer run on the weekend. It also lets you run different routes as the mood strikes you, since it's not a big deal whether you run 5 miles or 6 miles on any given day.

Thank you! That's what's been in my brain. I'm still figuring out the kind of running that suits me.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I've been training for a 10k, following this novice plan: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program. I completed week 5 today after repeating week 4 because we were on vacation. I was going to race on Sept 2, but had to switch to a Sept 9 race due to having to help my daughter move from Boston to NY. My worry is that move will interfere with my last week of training (I was just going to repeat week 7) since I will have limited access to run while I am travelling (Sept 2-5)

Any thoughts on modifying that awkward filler week?

Also, after the race I want to continue running, but more for enjoyment rather than training. Do I just pick a daily mileage I am comfortable with? Is it safe to run 4 days instead of just 3? Should I continue to vary distances?

Sorry that's a lot...I tend to over think.

I agree with @MobyCarp above. For the week of the race, just run what ever you can fit in, allowing your self a rest day before the race. One of the nice things about running as a sport is that a lost or gained week really has little impact on training other than the mental game.

Post race you need to think about what you want kind of running you want to do. Some like shorter faster runs and find a track to work on those. Others like trail runs, or road runs, or watching TV while on a treadmill. Personally I am the kind that likes to put on a good audiobook, set a sustainable pace and run for a hour or two outside. Anywhere as long as it is not on a dreadmill.

So I encourage you to try a few different things and see where you find the most enjoyment.

Also, you may want to keep a few 5k and 10k races in your schedule. They are nice ways to meet other runners and are a bit of a party for runners really. Plus races give you goals and way to regularly check how you are doing.

As for how many days a week. I personally try to run seven days a week. That is NOT advisable, but I know something will always happen so I end up only getting like 4 days in on average. :smiley: Pretty sure common wisdom is 3 - 4 days a week is safe and healthy pending on your fitness level, and beyond that is pushing it.

Definitely going to focus on the mental. Theres always a time during my long run when I feel like I can go forever, until the last .25 mile or so when it's like lifting my feet out of glue .
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    August goal: 4 x 4

8/1: 4.72 1hr
    8/2 4.58 1:01
    8/3 rest
    8/4 5.26 1:03
    8/5 4.10 0:53
    8/6 rest
    8/7 6.37 1:11
    8/8 4.10 1:00
    8/9 4.11 0:51
    8/10 rest
    8/11 4.09 0:48
    8/12 4.00 0:50
    8/13 rest
    8/14 5.88 1:15
    8/15 4.26 :56
    8/16 snorkel 4hrs
    8/17 4.10 1.00
    8/18 rest
    8/19 6.25 1.13
    8/20 4.35 1.00

Total 66.37
    @wishiwasarunner sorry to hear about your dvt....and I'm sorry, but the doctor in me has concerns and questions over why an active young woman has a big dvt...please feel free to pm me-I could suggest some questions you might need to ask your doc
    @JessicaMcB Runner's trots are crappey (hope that avoids the kitten filter....)!

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png
    upcoming races:
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    Hilo Bay 5 and 10k 9/10
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)