August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - less than 5 hours of sleep, hungover -and you are still out at 7am for a 7.5 miler that felt great! Just WOW!

@wishiwasarunner After the last couple summer parties I've been to, I've found the best way to avoid a hangover it to sweat it out before it can truly set in (and, of course, relative moderation so that the hangover isn't so awful to begin with!). I think the rest day on Friday played more into feeling good though... or so I hope!
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    no miles in the first week)

Aug 1.....no run.....MTD 0 miles
    Aug 2.....no run.....MTD 0 miles
    Aug 3.....no run.....MTD 0 miles
    Aug 4.....no run.....MTD 0 miles
    Aug 5.....no run.....MTD 0 miles
    Aug 6.....10 miles..MTD 10 miles
    Aug 7.....no run.....MTD 10 miles
    Aug 8.....3.1 miles..MTD 13.1 miles. 1st run of 1/2 marathon training program.
    Aug 9.....3.2 miles..MTD 16.3 miles 2nd run of 1/2 marathon training program
    Aug 10...4 miles.....MTD 20.3 miles 3rd run of 1/2 training program
    Aug 11...0 miles.....MTD Rest Day
    Aug 12...0 miles.....MTD Cross-training day per plan. Did 1 hour of cycling.
    Aug 13...7 miles.....MTD 27.3
    Aug 14...0 miles.....MTD 27.3 Rest Day
    Aug 15...3.1miles...MTD 30.4
    Aug 16...4.1miles...MTD 34.5
    Aug 17...5 miles.....MTD 39.5
    Aug 18...0 miles.....MTD 39.5
    Aug 19...0 miles.....MTD 39.5 Cross-training day, did 11 miles of cycling

Long run of 7 miles scheduled for tomorrow. Stay safe and hydrated everyone.

Upcoming races:
    Kellie's Krew 10K, Aug 26, Dunn NC
    FCYC Glow Run 5K, Sep 16, Fayetteville NC
    Turkey Trot 1/2 Marathon, Nov.(date to be determined) Pinehurst NC
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    No run today. We traveled to the path of the eclipse. We are in a location that should get about 2 minutes of totality, poolside. :smiley:

I hope to find a place to run tomorrow but the hotel is not very conducive for foot traffic. So not sure what I am going to do yet. They have dreadmills might just force myself to do an hour on them or something. My calories in today are way over, so probably need a couple 20 mile runs when get home. :grimace:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    Made 13.3 miles but all is not good. I will make doctors appointment to check out my thigh. I'm hoping its just a strain and not a tear. I couldn't say no to Kieran when he wanted to do our 1.3 miles together and I made it through. I was feeling fine yesterday and there wasn't an issue on my run until I had done 9 miles. I'm guessing I have to rest at least 5-10 days without running at all so this will heal properly, I was hoping I'd just have to run slow but I don't think thats going to work.

@cburke8909 Good plans. Seeing a doctor and resting in the meantime are what I would have said.

I don't think the rest will do you any harm. You've been rocking your training lately! When did you last have a recovery week? It might just coincide with this rest. Best wishes.

@Elise4270 I've had referred pain in my hamstring from my knotty/tight right glute. It felt like there was actual injury, but that was only my brain. The nerves were all borked from the glute tightness. Deep muscle tissue has helped me immensely (I've had 3 sessions over a couple of months). But I know you've had the surgery, and could have a whole different issue going on. Hugs, and fluffy non-bitey kittens.

@MobyCarp I love your "egg cooking" injury test method. I remember it from your last injury. I also love how you know you will run again. You will. You know how to rest properly - a hard thing non-runners don't understand!

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @HonuNui Congrats!!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Good luck @Orphia ! Trust your training and rock it out! :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thanks @Orphia ! I sent DH out to feed the dogs and check on one that has a bit of a limp. He came in and asked me to help trim from a spot on her fur. Sure thing, I trimmed her other day until she ran off and hid, missing the one haunch. then I realized, I'm sore from beung bent over trimming her. So hopefully its just from doing something I'm not supposed to be doing. (This is my non-surgery side with bursitis causing nerve impingement).

So happy it's (probably) not running related.

So excited you'll be doing your first marathon in a week!! Rock on girl!!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    ...and to catch up with other stuff:
    @MobyCarp, @cburke8909 ; hugs and healing thoughts....
    @skippygirlsmom Our beach days are typically 5-6 hours. The vast majority of that time is spent in the water, with breaks only to come out and charge my camera on my handy-dandy solar charger
    @Orphia you go, WonderWoman!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've been training for a 10k, following this novice plan: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program. I completed week 5 today after repeating week 4 because we were on vacation. I was going to race on Sept 2, but had to switch to a Sept 9 race due to having to help my daughter move from Boston to NY. My worry is that move will interfere with my last week of training (I was just going to repeat week 7) since I will have limited access to run while I am travelling (Sept 2-5)

Any thoughts on modifying that awkward filler week?

Also, after the race I want to continue running, but more for enjoyment rather than training. Do I just pick a daily mileage I am comfortable with? Is it safe to run 4 days instead of just 3? Should I continue to vary distances?

Sorry that's a lot...I tend to over think.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    8/1/17 - 3.01 miles treadmill before weight lifting.
    8/2/17 - 6.13 miles
    8/3/17 - 3.03 miles on the treadmill before weight lifting.
    8/4/17 - Rest day
    8/5/17 - 12.04 miles, rough BG before, during, and after run.
    8/6/17 - Rest day; weight lifting
    8/7/17 - Rest
    8/8/17 - 3.01 miles treadmill before weight lifting
    8/9/17 - 6.01 miles, "Race Pace" (not quite) - felt good and indicators for fat adaptation look promising
    8/10/17 - Rest (not exercising due to blood tests on 8/11)
    8/11/17 - Rest
    8/12/17 - Rest (lots of walking at state fair)
    8/13/17 - 9.00 miles
    8/14/17 - Rest
    8/15/17 - 4 miles treadmill before weight lifting. Having electrolyte issues
    8/16/17 - 4.85 miles. Still having electrolyte issues
    8/17/17 - 4.35 miles treadmill before weight lifting.
    8/18/17 - Rest
    8/19/17 - 14 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9/9/17 - Wabash Trace HM
    10/21/17 - Oregon Trail Run HM
  • anitamistry1
    anitamistry1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Hi all, thanks for the welcomes! Tomorrow I'm running the 5K distance at our local marathon, basically right through the heart of downtown. I picked up my package after work yesterday and I was very good. I didn't shop at the exhibitor hall.

(I took up running over other types of activity for a few reasons, but one of them was 'low cost'... yeah right... I keep buying running clothes and am positively giddy at the thought of cold weather soon meaning I can justify shopping for MORE gear...)

I would normally run today but since I'm a new enough runner than tomorrow's race will be challenging I have decided that today is for walking. My husband and kids are on finish line photo duty for the race tomorrow ;).

Have a fantastic time. I remember the feeling when I finished my first 5k at a local parkrun - tired but exhilarated at the same time.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I've been training for a 10k, following this novice plan: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program. I completed week 5 today after repeating week 4 because we were on vacation. I was going to race on Sept 2, but had to switch to a Sept 9 race due to having to help my daughter move from Boston to NY. My worry is that move will interfere with my last week of training (I was just going to repeat week 7) since I will have limited access to run while I am travelling (Sept 2-5)

Also, after the race I want to continue running, but more for enjoyment rather than training. Do I just pick a daily mileage I am comfortable with? Is it safe to run 4 days instead of just 3? Should I continue to vary distances?

@fitoverfortymom

For the extra week, just repeat the last week of the training program and you should be fine. At this point, it's more about the mental aspect than any improvement you could make physically in one more week. As long as your confidence is intact, a week later shouldn't make a noticeable difference to your race.

For running afterward, purely for fun and not training for anything, work at figuring out what fits into your schedule and is fun. If you were training 3 days a week, that's what you start from. If you want to go to 4 days a week, the first week make the distance shorter on each of the days so that the total week is the same mileage or only a modest increase. After that, keep the increases in distance modest from week to week until you get to how much you actually want to run. Varying the distances from one day to another is a good practice, even if it's a simple as having a longer run on the weekend. It also lets you run different routes as the mood strikes you, since it's not a big deal whether you run 5 miles or 6 miles on any given day.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I agree with @MobyCarp above. For the week of the race, just run what ever you can fit in, allowing your self a rest day before the race. One of the nice things about running as a sport is that a lost or gained week really has little impact on training other than the mental game.

Post race you need to think about what you want kind of running you want to do. Some like shorter faster runs and find a track to work on those. Others like trail runs, or road runs, or watching TV while on a treadmill. Personally I am the kind that likes to put on a good audiobook, set a sustainable pace and run for a hour or two outside. Anywhere as long as it is not on a dreadmill.

So I encourage you to try a few different things and see where you find the most enjoyment.

Also, you may want to keep a few 5k and 10k races in your schedule. They are nice ways to meet other runners and are a bit of a party for runners really. Plus races give you goals and way to regularly check how you are doing.

As for how many days a week. I personally try to run seven days a week. That is NOT advisable, but I know something will always happen so I end up only getting like 4 days in on average. :smiley: Pretty sure common wisdom is 3 - 4 days a week is safe and healthy pending on your fitness level, and beyond that is pushing it.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Anyone in Rexburg Idaho for the eclipse?

When I get back from this Solar Eclipse expedition, I plan on getting some miles in. Some high mtns too. With killer vertical.

Not officially announcing I'm back, but soon. That includes posting to Strava.
    Gotta update and dust off my Garnin.

11 days to think of a September goal B)

Can't wait to see those upwards miles!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 5 miles
    8/2 - 4 miles
    8/3 - 6 miles
    8/4 - rest day
    8/5 - 8 miles
    8/6 - 3 miles
    8/7 - 0 miles - rest day
    8/8 - 5 miles
    8/9 - 5 miles
    8/10 - 5.6 miles happy birthday run - see what I did there 5.6 miles
    8/11 - rest day
    8/12 - 4 miles
    8/13 - 10 miles
    8/14 - 3 miles
    8/15 – rest day rest day my legs said they need a rest day
    8/16 - 5 miles
    8/17 - 2 miles
    8/18 - 5 miles wow it was like running a swamp out there today
    8/19 - 2 miles
    8/20 - 0 miles decided to take a rest day

72 of 80 miles

exercise.png

I decided to take a rest day today since my legs were so tired yesterday. I also need to go to the office and move my office..for like the 11th time in 10 years ha ha. I need to move some furniture so Skip is coming with me to help, maybe we should consider starting a moving company :tongue: