August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Non-running update: Today I am forced to admit that I am injured. I did not get as far as fatiguing the right Achilles that has bothered me; I woke up with a sensation in my right ankle that feels like a mild sprain. It doesn't let me run 4 paces, let alone enough to see if my Achilles is still irritated. No doubt attempting the warmup at club practice yesterday evening was a mistake; but it seemed a perfectly reasonable thing to do at the time.

So I'm doing the rest, ice, compression drill. I have some ankle supports left over from previous sprains, and I'm wearing one of them all day today. I will get plenty of sleep. I did the 10 minute immersion in ice water routine that I hate. I'm on naproxen, and will stay on it for a while. And I have an appointment with my podiatrist next week anyway.

I may have to take a DNS at one or all of the next 3 races I am registered for. If that turns out to be the case, I'll seriously consider not registering for Boston 2018. My body might be telling me it doesn't like the volume I've put into marathon training. But no firm decision on that yet. I could change my mind several times between now and the Boston registration window.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    August Running Challenge
    Goal: 75 km
    Ran: 49/ 75

19/8/17 Run 7 km
    18/8/17 rest day
    17/8/17 SL B+ walk 4 Km
    16/8/17 Run 6 km walk 5km
    15/8/17 walk 4 km
    14/8/17 Circuit training
    13/8/17 Rest Day
    12/8/17 Walk 6 km
    11/8/17 Run 4.5 km
    10/8/17 SL A+ walk 2 km
    9/8/17 Run 5 km walk 5 km
    8/8/17 Run 7 km
    7/8/17 Run 8.5 km
    5/8/17 Walk 4 km+SL B
    4/8/17 rest day
    3/8/17 Run 8 km
    2/8/17 Run 3 km + SL A
    1/8/17 walk 4km

SL~Strong Lift
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

I did my easy weekend run today since I had a party to go to last night and knew I'd be drinking and up late. I was in bed around 1:15/1:30 and up at 5:50. I didn't have to meet anyone until 7 to run though so I used the hour to drink water and eat some breakfast and then the tiny hangover I did have was easily sweated out in our 70+ degree 100% humidity morning :) Looking forward to another 16 miler tomorrow; hopefully it goes better than the last 2 have!

@kristinegift ah to be young again ha ha Great job on the run!
    @Bruinsgal_91 great job!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Non-running check in: Progress is day to day. The sprain felt good enough to test a run, but the lawn needed mowing. Sigh. Where's the dry summer weather that lets me go 2 weeks between mowings? So I mowed the lawn, and the ankle felt fine. Changed to running shoes, went out to test a run, and found it's still not a good idea.

The good news: The sprain didn't bother me on my abortive run test.
    The bad news: The Achilles is still irritated, and running any distance on it today wouldn't be good.

So I think about the minor progress. Easy jog of the hallway lasted for the 2 minutes it took the eggs to cook, first time since the sprain. The right leg tolerated calf raises with 30 lbs. today; 35 was too much. I don't know whether I could have done 30 yesterday, because I didn't test anything over 25. Cone touches are still a challenge on the weak side, but not as much of a challenge as yesterday. I can do squats. If I'm careful, I can do body weight walking lunges. Can't do Turkish get ups; the weight when I'm lunging up and the weak ankle is at the back is too much. So I've got *most* of my morning routine back, though I have to be careful with parts of it.

Oh, yeah. I had that full routine on a Saturday because I slept in. I knew last night there was no way I was going to pace 12 miles at 7 AM today.

I will be back running. The open question is how long it will take.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    oops, forgot a few....
    @cburke0226 - Sorry to hear about the injury. Rest and follow up with the doctor - but you are already doing all that.
    @sarahthes - I can relate to the retail therapy provided by running, lol. It certainly has not been a cheap exercise for me either - but it is has been incredibly rewarding for my health- and that is priceless. Good luck on your race today - and wise choice to have taken the day before off at this point in your training!

And finally a question - I accquired a little extra bling with my marathon training earlier in the spring - a split toenail. I thought it would just grow out, but it seems to keep splitting down to the quick. It isn't painful - only a cosmetic thing right now - but just curious if anyone has advice.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @Elise4270 Yeah the only time I can run and fit in work and family time is by going to bed at the same time as my six-year old, lol. Works well enough until I get up so early that I start to feel drowsy at work in the afternoon; fortunately my new employer has provided nap rooms (I kid you not!) so one day I may just take advantage of that if it's a slow day.

But yeah, definitely safety first with pepper spray if you're going to be running when few people are around.

@garygse I have been trying to convince my employer to build a nap room for YEARS. I am so jealous of you right now. Alas, I work for the government. I fear my requests for a nap room and margarita machine will continue to go unanswered....
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless Wow! Those are some seriously awesome time!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless and @bettyM1017 great races!
    @wishiwasarunner I agree with MobyCarp if it doesn't hurt let it grow out. I especially agree with the optional part, last night at a girl's get together a 15 minute topic of conversation was my black toenail and blisters. :smile:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless Awesome 5k today!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Any one have experience with hamstring pain? *Sigh* why am I always hurt. It's like the universe is out to get me. Paranoia anyone? Lol! I. Just. Wanna. Run.

I noticed it after the run today. I have pain in the back of my leg almost always from nerve impingement. Today I went to rub it and it's undeniable muscle pain. My piriformis is also so sore. Not just sore- but holy kitten sore. I did change my stride the last 2-3 miles, tried to land with my foot under me, and focus on getting my kick behind me ranther than out front. My pace was faster (8-10 vs 10-12) and I had to work at slowing down. I ran some hills with this stride, inspired that my landing on an incline was as recommend in a RW article I read. Usually I just bounce up hills on the balls of my feet or just walk them, oh because the make my hamstring hurt.... WTH.. what's wrong with me that I can't get over injury?

Thanks for listening.

Tldr... Pain=down time, maybe pt visit.