• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat - I think the kittenness over powered your magic trick... :lol:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

Tomorrow will just be yoga and then Saturday will be a rest day. That worked out well because tomorrow is my 27th wedding Anniversary so I wouldn't have run any way.

Hey congrats! Well done!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

ah. It was there briefly!!! How about the word twot. Do you think that will get through? (I know, I know, it has certain vulgar meanings, but its less vulgar meaning here is 'idiot')
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

ah. It was there briefly!!! How about the word twot. Do you think that will get through? (I know, I know, it has certain vulgar meanings, but its less vulgar meaning here is 'idiot')

Looks like it.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat "Tuesday the sun finally came out and I did the typically British thing whenever we see the sun - I was desperate to get out in it. You heat-complainers don't know what that world is. I had a lovely saunter round the harbourside and met some friends for a delicious goat curry."

This paragraph took me back to Scotland sooo quick. When I was in school there, i was there two weeks before I saw the sun. Which meant I didn't know where north was for two weeks, which was a strange feeling for me. Especially coming from a world where it rains so rarely as it does. It was of course when the other Wyoming girl and I came out of the shops with our newly acquired wellies and waterproofs that the sun made its first appearance. But that explains my usual timing in a nutshell. But we were soooo excited to see the sun, I actually have a set of pictures in my slew of Scotland pictures... one is literally just an excited picture of our shadows that we didn't realize we had missed, and another is us in front of Stirling Castle in our new wellies with not a cloud or puddle in sight... because apparently we were torn between our excitement over the sun, and our excitement over finally being equipped for the rain....
    and curry.... I was just reminiscing about late night chips and curry earlier this week to someone.

Im apparently very wordy and rambley this morning, which I would normally blame on too much coffee, but I haven't even made it that far.... so maybe sleep deprivation and lack of running in my life??
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    August Goal - 120 Miles

8/1/17 - 4.02 Easy
    8/2/17 - 4.15 Easy
    8/3/17 - 4.0 Easy
    8/4/17 - 4.5 Easy
    8/5/17 - 6.0 Easy
    8/6/17 - 3.0 Easy - 28.71 Week
    8/8/17 - 5.01 Easy
    8/9/17 - 5.01 Easy
    8/10/17 - 5.01 Easy
    8/11/17 - 5.0 Easy
    8/12/17 - 7.5 Easy
    8/13/17 - 2.51 Easy - 30.04 Week
    8/15/17 - 5.01 Easy
    8/16/17 - 5.01 Easy
    8/17/17 - 5.01 Easy
    8/18/17 - 5.02 Easy

Total 75.77 of 120

Bit of a focus on increasing cadence this morning. Looking back i averaged 167 for my marathon last October, and now i'm lucky to get to 155. This is partly due to a concerted effort to keep HR low while adding base miles back to 40-50MPW, and partly because i'm not nearly in the shape i was 10 months ago. I did average 159 today with several of the miles in the low 160's. I think i'll probably need to start adding in some stride work once or twice a week starting next week to get that number heading back to those levels. Still want to completely avoid anything outside of easy paced HR runs for at least another 6 weeks but some 10x20sec strides should help with little added wear an tear on the legs at this point.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @Orphia - Yes, it's normal to run a first marathon at your easy pace. I didn't; got sucked into going with a pacer at a faster pace, and got away with it. The result was that I didn't learn as much from my first marathon as I should have, and that's bitten me a couple of times. Normal marathon runners see faster times for a second marathon than a first, frequently by a wide margin. My first marathon remains my PR.
    5512bf wrote: »
    On the topic of intervals I found them incredibly beneficial in the shorter races, 5k & 10k, and more of a way to break up the monotony of crushing 55-70 miles a week during marathon training. The longer the race, half & full marathons, it's more about tempo miles in my opinion. I'm not sure 12x400 intevals would get the HR up past where it would need to be for any length of time to have a ton of benefits for marathon's. I looked at @MNLittleFinn hr data on strava and it looks like your hr really never left z3. If you hr threshold is 170ish you'll need to run faster/longer to get into the proper hr zone to have benefits.

@MNLittleFinn @5512bf - Yes, longer tempo workouts are prominent in my marathon training plan. The distances are longer, and the speed backs down from I pace (5K race pace) to T (lactic threshold) or MP (goal marathon pace). There are a lot of variations, but here's one that pops up a few times with minor variations:

3 miles at E
    4 miles at MP
    1 mile at T
    4 miles at MP
    1 mile at T
    2 miles at E

That's 15 miles total, and only 5 of them are at an easy pace. It's quite challenging. Here's an easier one:

2 miles at E
    10-13 miles at MP
    2 miles at E

And there are a lot of variations of X miles easy, Y miles MP, etc. The absolute hardest interval workout I've ever has assigned was:

2 miles at E
    4 miles at T
    5 miles at E
    3 miles at T
    2 miles at E

Note that, by definition, you can't run a 4 mile interval at your 5K race pace. Otherwise, it wouldn't be your 5K race pace because you still have another 0.9 mile left in you at that pace after 5K. FWIW, I didn't finish that one. I was compelled to stop after 15 miles last training cycle. This training cycle, it fell in the week with 2 races and I didn't even attempt it.

It really all works together. The shorter, faster stuff works on form and improving VO2 max. The longer stuff works on stamina, both cardio and muscular endurance.

And to the point above, I don't think I've ever run 12 x any interval. The most of the *same* interval I've ever run is 10 x Yasso 800's, and I have my doubts about how much good those do. But they're traditional.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    8/1 - Rest/sick day - feeling better, but not sure running would have been good. Hoping for tomorrow.
    8/2 - 4.5 miles of hill repeats. Glad I did it, more glad I'm done.
    8/3 - 3.5 short miles before getting in the car with the family.
    8/4 - Road trip / vacation
    8/5 - Road trip / vacation / anniversary
    8/6 - 5 miles. Gorgeous morning for a run!
    8/7 - 5 miles. Again, beautiful morning!
    8/8 - 5 miles. Another nice morning!
    8/9 - 4.6 miles of hill repeats with group. I am soooo tired and sleepy today.
    8/10 - 4.4 treadmill miles / trek class. Then upper body weights/abs.
    8/11 - Rest day because I have to.
    8/12 - 6.6 mile group run. Perfect weather.
    8/13 - 2.3 treadmill miles. Then quick upper body weights.
    8/14 - 5.3 miles track / intervals.
    8/15 - 5 miles. Another relatively cool, delightful morning to run.
    8/16 - 4.85 miles of group hill run. Rough, but good.
    8/17 - Rest day. If I run more than 5 days in a row, bad things tend to happen.
    8/18 - 5 miles. Gorgeous morning to run.

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Thanks @MobyCarp due to time constraints, I'm notmally limited to around 10 miles on my runs so, as awesome as that 15 miler would be, I think it's out for now, or at least until I can get to the point where sub-9 is easy, and that Could be a LONG time.

I plugged 8x800 with 400 recovery (that gets me roughly the same time for recovery as the I running) and with a 1 mile WU and 1 mile CD, I get just under 8 miles according to Garmin when I make a workout with it. So, I'm thinking that workouts with repeats in that distance range, or longer but fewer would work out just about right. Thanks again for all the good info.... My inner speed demon and long slogger are fighting again over what kind of runner I should be...LOL
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @5512bf I noticed that too. That's why I was thinking like you said about going faster/longer. Today's run kind of confirmed that, it was as much a test run as anything, I'm going to go longer during next week's intervals to see if that gets my HR up there.

Edit to add, my average HR on the intervals was too low, but max got into the right range, so I'm starting to think upping distance but keeping pace might put me in the right zone.

It's really hard to use HR data from short intervals because there is a lag time there and by the time you reach you desired HR the interval is over, which is why I usually go by perceived effort for anything less than 800m. It doesn't mean you aren't working in the right range, it's just that the HR data doesn't support it. That said, based on what you have said, I agree that you can probably be running your short intervals a bit faster or lengthening the intervals you are doing at current pace.

@mobycarp- Speaking of Yassos,I don't usually do them, but I'm just curious where your calculated pace falls for them. Mine falls about half way between my HM and 10K paces. Does that about right?
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @5512bf I noticed that too. That's why I was thinking like you said about going faster/longer. Today's run kind of confirmed that, it was as much a test run as anything, I'm going to go longer during next week's intervals to see if that gets my HR up there.

Edit to add, my average HR on the intervals was too low, but max got into the right range, so I'm starting to think upping distance but keeping pace might put me in the right zone.

It's really hard to use HR data from short intervals because there is a lag time there and by the time you reach you desired HR the interval is over, which is why I usually go by perceived effort for anything less than 800m. It doesn't mean you aren't working in the right range, it's just that the HR data doesn't support it. That said, based on what you have said, I agree that you can probably be running your short intervals a bit faster or lengthening the intervals you are doing at current pace.

Yeah, the short intervals felt, I don't want to say easy, but at the pace I ran, I had absolutely no problem running the last one like 13 seconds faster, which I think is a bunch faster for a 400, but I don't really know. Longer intervals seem like the way to go for now.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    8/1 = 4.5 miles
    8/2 = kettlebell strength training
    8/3 = 7.5 miles (six - 6 minute speed intervals)
    8/4 = 3.5 miles (track workout- 800m sprints & 200m recovery walk)
    8/5 = 4.5 miles
    8/6 = 15 miles
    8/7 = 3 miles on the dreadmill & strength training 45 minutes
    8/8 = 8 miles & vinyasa yoga class
    8/9 = 7.5 miles Tempo run
    8/10 = 5 miles run/walk
    8/11= kettlebell strength training
    8/12 = 5.5 miles
    8/13 = 13 miles (10 with the running group run/walk; 3 solo running miles)
    8/14 = 8 miles & 40 minutes strength training
    8/15 = vinyasa yoga class
    8/16 = 7.5 miles interval run
    8/17 = 4.5 miles
    8/18 = 4.5 miles & 30 minutes strength training

(August miles) 101.5/150 (August goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    8/19 = 100th Verns No Frills 5K
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 5 miles
    8/2 - 4 miles
    8/3 - 6 miles
    8/4 - rest day
    8/5 - 8 miles
    8/6 - 3 miles
    8/7 - 0 miles - rest day
    8/8 - 5 miles
    8/9 - 5 miles
    8/10 - 5.6 miles happy birthday run - see what I did there 5.6 miles
    8/11 - rest day
    8/12 - 4 miles
    8/13 - 10 miles
    8/14 - 3 miles
    8/15 – rest day rest day my legs said they need a rest day
    8/16 - 5 miles
    8/17 - 2 miles
    8/18 - 5 miles wow it was like running a swamp out there today

70 of 80 miles

exercise.png

So I noticed on Monday that for the first time ever that I have blisters on my feet from running. They are on 3 of toes. I don't feel them when I run only when I have a sandals or walk barefoot. I didn't have on as thick of a sock as I normally wear during my long run Sunday and it was sweating so I'm sure that's the reason.

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. Happy Friday!

Yesterday I got a good run at the Woods after work. Didn't do the whole loop, just an out-and-back for 6.4 miles.

I'm noticing it's starting to get dark a little earlier. That means soon I'll be doing a lot more indoor running. Sigh.

August total - 54.3 / 100 miles

Hope everyone's doing all right. I didn't have time to look over 150+ posts that I missed. I have been feeling a little bit better with the anxiety. Been having a few good days here and there, which is nice. Yesterday was one of those good days, hence my run in the Woods. Pretty soon I'll start tapering off of the lorazepam (I'm already down to three a day from four).

Today is a rest day, as school has started and we're back to the routine of going to my mom's after work on Friday to see my son. Hoping for a halfway decent long run over the weekend.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @mobycarp- Speaking of Yassos,I don't usually do them, but I'm just curious where your calculated pace falls for them. Mine falls about half way between my HM and 10K paces. Does that about right?

@lporter229 - Since the Yasso time target is goal marathon time, where the pace falls depends on how aggressive your marathon target is. I've had my issues with getting through marathons, so my Yasso targets aren't far from my T pace, which would be a shade slower than my 10K race pace. People with aggressive marathon targets would get a Yasso pace closer to their 5K race pace or just a shade slower; that's close to what I'd get if I believed the online calculators as to how fast a marathon I could run.

@MNLittleFinn - Yes, 13 seconds is a HUGE difference at the 400m distance. If you ran 13 seconds faster than your 5K race pace for a 400, I would not expect you to be able to hold that pace for 1600m. If you're in great shape, you might be able to hold it for 800. Or, if you can hold that pace for 1600, your 5K race pace should be faster than you thought.
  • lporter229
    Options
    When I hit the point where my car was, I was at 3 miles when one of my favorite ever running songs just happened to come on, Jamestown Revival's "Revival", which, coincidentally, features the appropriate line " Ain't easy and I know it's gonna hurt, but it keeps me alive". Well, I obviously couldn't stop on that note, so I finished the song out then headed back to my car for a final distance of 4.4 miles.

@lporter229 I just added this song to my running playlist after this endorsement. The lyric "I'm just holding on for my survival" will likely come in handy too.

Awesome! I hope it gets you through as many tough runs as it has for me! The song is obviously not meant to be about running, but just another example of how running can become a metaphor for life. BTW, if you enjoy that style of music, I highly recommend that album, "Utah". It's pretty stellar.
  • lporter229
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

@lporter229 - Since the Yasso time target is goal marathon time, where the pace falls depends on how aggressive your marathon target is. I've had my issues with getting through marathons, so my Yasso targets aren't far from my T pace, which would be a shade slower than my 10K race pace. People with aggressive marathon targets would get a Yasso pace closer to their 5K race pace or just a shade slower; that's close to what I'd get if I believed the online calculators as to how fast a marathon I could run.

@MNLittleFinn - Yes, 13 seconds is a HUGE difference at the 400m distance. If you ran 13 seconds faster than your 5K race pace for a 400, I would not expect you to be able to hold that pace for 1600m. If you're in great shape, you might be able to hold it for 800. Or, if you can hold that pace for 1600, your 5K race pace should be faster than you thought.

I know that my marathon targets have always been conservative, but that just seems crazy to me!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic that is awful about the guy with the drugs.
    @honunui pretty picture. When you snorkel for 4 hours is that straight 4 hours swimming around? For some reason I thought of that question the other day.
    @girlinahat I love reading your posts, it’s like talking to you face to face. I have a friend who lives in England and I always have to think when she posts pictures in a coat. MFP doesn’t seem to know what “twot” means ha ha
    @karllundy where did you get gorgeous weather from? Ha ha glad it was!
    @respectthekitty glad you are having some good days.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Thanks for that clarification. I've never run short repeats, so I wan't sure. I was mainly putting it out there because I'm thinking that it meant that I should lengthen my intervals out to 800+ at the 5k pace, because I had enough left to drop the hammer after running 11 of the 400s. Just confirms for me that lengthening the repeats, to see how I do running that pace longer, is the right thing to do, rather than going faster.