How to help a friend?

Options
2»

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You seem very caring and supportive of your friend. Continue to reach out to do activities together so she can talk to you about anything and everything (if you want to do that; otherwise, suggest she see a therapist to talk with). She's lucky to have you in her corner! I agree with the suggestion that you steer her toward MFP so that she can log her calories and perhaps feel some measure of control over herself. But MFP will set her minimum calories at 1200, and she should eat back any calories she earns from exercise. She's already underweight for her height (125-168 pounds is the "normal" weight range for a 5' 8" woman).

She will NOT be able to cure depression without medication just by eating more healthy foods. Healthy food and exercise can relieve some stress and bolster health, and certainly hiking has some benefits, but they are not means to a cure.

https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/what-should-i-say
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, my friends with eating disorders were very good at lying and saying what we wanted to hear. Each needed professional help; one had to be hospitalized first. Be there for her when *she* realizes she needs help.

And please don't try to tell her that eating more can mean she can stop taking potentially life-saving psychological medication.