Fake vegetarian meat vs protein shakes.

Options
Should I replace faux meat with protein shakes? I eat faux meat at least once a day. Would it be better to have two protein shakes a day compared to eating so much fake meat? Does it make a difference?

Replies

• Buckeye19XX
    Buckeye19XX Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The protein shakes would end up being much lower in sodium, fat, carbs, and higher in protein but I do enjoy the taste of the fake meats.
  • Buckeye19XX
    Buckeye19XX Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The meats are soy based and contain quite a bit of sodium and fat. If I were to lower my consumption of the fake meats, my protein would come from dairy and protein powder. Is that healthy?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'd stick with a variety. There is a reason we wean babies off milk and pablum. Why not broaden your sources to include eggs, seitan and pulses?

Your fake meat uses soy as a source.
    Your protein shakes are depending on whey and casein most likely.
    You may also want to try recipes using TVP (soy).

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    PS Dairy protein source is whey and casein too. I find it harder to hit my protein goal using milk as the lactose content pushes up the carb count. Greek Yogurt is better.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    A lot of my protein comes from Protein powder and dairy. Fake meat... I don't even want to think about what that is.

Well, it depends. I make my own seitan, so I know it's mainly vital wheat gluten, with some nutritional yeast, seasonings, a bit of soy sauce, and some oil.

Note that I also eat veggie dogs and Gardein. If I were on a sodium-restricted diet, I probably wouldn't, but they're filling and convenient and I also do a lot of cooking from scratch.

OP: it's a matter of preference. If your goal is to reduce your sodium (or something else in the fake meats), have at it. Otherwise, no real issue either way.
  • amandacalories
    amandacalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. I've been vegetarian for a few years and sometimes I eat fake meat (because it's delicious) and sometimes I have protein shakes (because I also think they're delicious). Just do what fits into your life and what keeps you happy and satisfied.