Potassium.

Options
I was just reading that potassium helps lower blood pressure. I googled high potassium foods and actually found v8 juice has tons of it. Would it be a good source of potassium.

Thanks

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I drink a low sodium V8 pretty much daily...
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Yes V8 is a really good source of potassium. It really doesn't have that much "crap" in it. The ingredient list is mostly veggies. Bananas are also good.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I was just reading that potassium helps lower blood pressure. I googled high potassium foods and actually found v8 juice has tons of it. Would it be a good source of potassium.

Thanks

I'm partial to pomegranates. Lots of potassium in those yummy seeds (almost 700 in one fruit not to mention 11 g of fiber).

There are a lot of foods that have more potassium than bananas. Even Cornish hens have more (550mg per serving vs. 422 for a medium banana)
  • amos41
    amos41 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Coconut water also a good source
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Skim milk has about 400 mg potassium a cup. I add it to my giant cup of coffee.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    There's also 116 mg in 8 oz of brewed coffee.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    beware of the sodium amounts even in a low sodium varity
  • 40lbslighter
    40lbslighter Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've been working on increasing my potassium intake as well. My go-to is baked potatoes, including skin (apparently much of the potassium is in the skin). They help me feel fuller for longer too.

I wrote this for another thread and thought I'd share it with you too.
    Cheers!

"Most people think of bananas as the go-to potassium food, but its not as high in potassium as you may think. To help me increase my potassium intake, I read a few recent articles and combined the lists of high potassium foods into my own list. (Note: There are a few foods I left off the list because I don't personally care for them. I had made the list for myself, not thinking I would publish it.)

Here is my top 20:
    White beans, canned, drained, 1 cup: 1190 mg
    Acorn squash, 1 cup 896 mg
    Fresh cooked spinach, 1 cup 839 mg
    Black beans, 1 cup 739 mg
    Lentils, 1 cup, cooked: 732mg
    Edamame, 1 cup 676 mg
    Potato, medium, baked with skin: 610 mg
    Pomegranate juice, 1 cup 600 mg
    Coconut water, 1 cup 600 mg
    Butternut squash, 1 cup 582 mg
    Yogurt, fat-free, 1 cup: 579 mg
    Frozen spinach, 1 cup 540 mg
    Avocado , 1 half 533 mg
    100% orange juice, 8 ounces: 496 mg
    Halibut, 3 ounces, cooked: 490 mg
    Broccoli, 1 cup, cooked: 457 mg
    Milk, Fat Free w A&D, 8 ounces: 410 mg
    Pork tenderloin, 3 ounces, cooked: 382 mg
    Salmon, farmed Atlantic, 3 ounces, cooked: 326 mg
    Pistachios, shelled, 1 ounce, dry roasted: 295 mg

Number 21? Bananas!"
  • 40lbslighter
    40lbslighter Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I just entered v8 and Low Sodium v8 (12 oz size) into my diary to check the stats. Holy mackerel! Low Sodium v8 is the potassium bomb-diggity! Over 1,100 mg of potassium for only 200 mg of sodium.

Thanks for the tip!

Personally, I would for stay away from the original version. 960 mg of sodium for 700 mg potassium isn't worth it to me.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I just entered v8 and Low Sodium v8 (12 oz size) into my diary to check the stats. Holy mackerel! Low Sodium v8 is the potassium bomb-diggity! Over 1,100 mg of potassium for only 200 mg of sodium.

Thanks for the tip!

Personally, I would for stay away from the original version. 960 mg of sodium for 700 mg potassium isn't worth it to me.

They probably substituted potassium chloride for some of the sodium chloride to make the low sodium V-8.

That is another way to increase your potassium consumption, just use lite salt (50% each potassium and sodium chlorides)
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @earlnabby. I never noticed the low sodium v8 had "added sodium potassium chloride". Seems trickery, since I thought they just added less salt. Thank you for teaching me.
    I just noticed the regular v8 has less total potassium. Interesting. But both have potassium choride as ingredients. Is potassium cholride even a good thing?
  • earlnabby
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @earlnabby. I never noticed the low sodium v8 had "added sodium chloride". Seems trickery, since I thought they just added less salt. Thank you for teaching me.
    I just noticed the regular v8 has less total potassium. Interesting. But both have potassium choride as ingredients. Is potassium cholride even a good thing?

Yes it is. When people are given a prescription for potassium supplements, it is potassium chloride. It also is what is used in salt substitutes for people who have to cut their sodium but still want a salty taste to their food. Lite Salt is 50% sodium and 50% potassium. Salt substitute is 100% potassium.

also, salt IS sodium chloride so many items with added salt will say sodium chloride on the label (some just say "salt". Same thing).
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Many people who keto also eat Lo-salt/Lite salt because of the potassium to help with their electrolyte balance/keto flu.
  • seaglasstreasure
    seaglasstreasure Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I drink low sodium spicy hot v8 juice daily. An 8 ounce cup has 50 calories, 140 mg sodium, and 1000 mg potassium.
  • LiveToBloom
    LiveToBloom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Beet tops and kale r high in potassium. If u get a chance , watch Dr.Berg on YouTube. He has some great ideas
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

Thanks

V8 has tons of sodium too