The Exercists (August Challenge) closed group

Options
Hello Team! My name is Lorie and I am the team captain for The Exercists. I will need the following from the entire group.

First name
Start weight for the challenge
Your goal weight for August 31
Do you have any other goals for the challenge.

If you don't mind, please private message me the information (its alot easier to tally that way). Also scapez is working on a badge for us. So please thank her! Our team is made up of the following members:

1. magpie4495
2. cberndt1987
3. gracefullyjenn
4. phawley13
5. tweez8976
6. libs41223
7. mdn15
8. prettygirl2408
9. jennabutterfly
10. BusinessLady
11. scapez
12. milaxx
13. nb9251
14. honestyismydiet
15. gwynnehamer
16. cncadieux
17. scante60
18. murelzgirl
19. shazz20
20. Isawau.

Below is the challenge for our first week:

AUGUST CHALLENGE WEEK 1
This is the week one team challenge. This should be done in addition to your normal workout routine.
This is a challenge and is not a replacement! If you need a beginner workout please contact your team
captain for ideas.

Week One Daily Exercise Challenge
Each team member that completes their daily exercise challenge receives one point, if all team
members complete each daily exercise for all 6 days the team is then awarded an additional 5 Bonus
Points.
Day 1 Exercise Challenge - 100 Jumping Jacks*(see below)
Day 2 Exercise Challenge – Walk, Run or Jog 1 Mile (extra)
Day 3 Exercise Challenge – 50 Situps or Ab Crunches*
Day 4 Exercise Challenge – 40 UP and Downs *
Day 5 Exercise Challenge – 25 Pushups *
Day 6 Exercise Challenge – 25 Squat Lunges*
Day 7 Rest! You deserve it!

If you are uncertain on how to do an exercise get with your captains as they will have a weblink to each
exercise.

Week One Weekly Team Challenge

Each team member in order to get the weekly team bonus points must all log every day and not go over
their target calories and log at least 64 oz. of water each day. If each team member does this all 6 days
your team will be awarded 5 Bonus Points.

*Feel free to do these exercises in sets if you are unable to do them all at one time. Please do your best
as you are much stronger than you believe.

Please note each week the exercises will increase in difficulty. This will push each team member.
Modifications will be provided for those who unable to complete the exercise as intended

Let me know if you have any questions. Also please introduce yourselves so we can get to know each other. :bigsmile:

Replies

• wvualum
    wvualum Posts: 428
    Options
    I'll start. My name is Lorie, I am from WV (Go Mountaineers!!!!). Married no kids. I am an accountant, but not a typical one.

I have been overweight all my life. I have succeeded in weight loss once before, losing 65 lbs. I kept if off for 2 years, but then my lifestyle changed drastically and I started putting it back on. I started changing the way I eat about 3 weeks ago and have lost 12 lbs so far. My ultimate goal is to lose at least 100 lbs total. My goal for August is 10 lbs. I also hope (provided I can find some decent running shoes this weekend) to start the c25k next week. I am not a runner never have been, but there is a 5k in Washington DC that I would like to participate in, in May 2012. I also said that the only way I would run is if someone is chasing me with a gun, but if I have this particular 5K as my goal, I think I will do it. So I guess that is all I can think of. So now its your turn!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    bump

Weigh in and details to follow...working on the badge!
  • wvualum
    Options
    Also if you could email me a before picture sometime today or tomorrow that would be great. Gary wants to do a before and after slide show. Please email them to loriebrown78@gmail.com. Thanks!

Are you ready to kick the crap out of August?!?
  • gracefullyjenn
    Options
    Hi. My name is Jennifer. I have been overweight since my preteen years. I am married with 5 children and I live in Jersey City Nj but was born and raised in Indiana. My goal for august is to lose 15 pounds and to walk 20 miles for the month or more.
  • scante60
    scante60 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm Sarah. I'm 35 years old, and I live in Baltimore, MD, with my BF (the guy in the profile pic). I've never been a skinny minnie by any means, but I was fairly active through high school (soccer, track and field, etc). I gained a little during college, and a little more after college, and a little more after that... you get the picture. Then in March of this year, BF was quite ill and subsequently diagnosed with a condition that is slowly causing CHF, and may eventually result in transplant. The situation became very stressful (not just his health, but the fact that he had no insurance when all of this started, implications for our relationship, his children possibly inheriting the condition, his ex (a nurse) being somewhat of a Nervous Nellie/Debbie Downer...), and I started stress eating. Big time. Pasta is my drug of choice, and I hit it hard.

Finally, BF said I need you to take care of you so that we can have the best relationship together that is possible. He was getting himself in shape, and he was the one with the illness. So, I realized he was right, and that I needed to pull things together - not just to get back to where I was back in March, but to make myself even better from a health standpoint. Eventually I found MFP, and, well, so far, so good. I've even revised my ultimate goal a little lower than I originally thought I could go. I'm finding support here, along with a bunch of ways (weighs??? - I told you all in the messages for name brainstorming that I like bad puns, so don't say you weren't warned... :P ) to stay honest, and I hope the Challenge helps me even more. I also hope I can help everyone else stay motivated and on plan! I'm hoping to lose 8 pounds this month; eventually (once the temps come back down a bit) I'd like to start running again.
  • nb9251
    nb9251 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Naomi. My goal is to drop 10 lbs for August and just to be consistent. I always seem to fall off before the changes take root. I'm 26 and live in Glenmoore, PA. My ultimate goal is to lose 60lbs and to be in shape. Even when I was smaller I was never
    really in shape. I want to be abe to do all sorts physical activities without being embarrased because I'm winded after 30 seconds.

I will send all my pictures and details later this evening. My nephew is turning one today and we're having a party! At the pool(yuck!), But what better time to take some motivating pics in my swimsuit. That should help me keep at it. Lol. Glad to meet everyone and we are so gonna kick *kitten*!
  • wvualum
    Options
    I've decided to change my goal for 15 lbs. I mean I think I could lose ten easily so where js the challenge in that! I am going to take my before pic in a few and hopefully not cry! Lol. Its good to meet everyone so far!
  • cbinnd
    cbinnd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Clarissa and I joined this challenge because I have been doing well on my nutrition goals and losing weight for a few months. BUT I have yet to start an exercise routine. I just can't get myself motivated. I know I need to because as the weight starts coming off skin starts to sag! Plus I need to for my health overall. I started gaining a bunch of weight when I moved to North Dakota (WAY less active than my home in Oregon!) and got married. I started gaining weight even before the wedding and afterwards I continued to balloon until I was 158 - over 20 lbs more than I was before I moved. (By the way I'm only 5'3) Before I had worked at a fitness club and got paid to take their classes and was surrounded by positive influences! It has now been 3 years of being lazy and overweight and I just got sick of it. I went back for a visit to Oregon in April and something just clicked in my head by the time I got back. I started watching what I ate and how much of it and the pounds just started melting off. It's been great but I still need to get back to how active I use to be.

So thanks in advance for all the motivation from all of you!! My starting weight for the challenge is 139.8 and I hope to lose 7 pounds by August 31st. It really does get harder to lose the weight, the less you have to lose... or maybe it's in my head. My other goal is just to get into a regular workout routine.

Have fun everyone!!!
  • CassandreNoreen
    CassandreNoreen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm Cassandre and I'm from Toronto, Ontario (yay Canada!). I'm 22 and I've recently graduated University. I can't remember the last time I wouldn't have been considered "overweight", but the University "freshman 15" was more like a freshman 40. I would like to lose that weight, and more, totaling almost 70 lbs. My goal for August is to lose 13 lbs, which would bring me to 190... and I'd hit my "first goal".

I'm looking forward to this challenge, and to have a group of people to support me through this. It's very hard living at home with my parents... and thankfully I get to move out on my own next month, where things will hopefully begin being easier.

I will send a before picture later tonight. :)

GO THE EXERCISTS GO!
  • Isawau
    Isawau Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Isabel and I'm from alberta Canada :-)
    I started my weightloss at 250 pounds after my 2nd kid who is now almost 1 and a half now!
    I lost 30 pounds before I found out about mfp and with MFP I lost another 36 pounds(started january 2011) :-) so I'm 190 right now! gained a couple pounds back in july I kind of lost my rythm and i didn't log anything for the whole month:-( I wanna get back into logging my food and exercise and hope with the challenge to get back on track! My goal weight is 150 but for the challenge I wanna lose at least 13 pounds so I'm back in the 170!!!
    So lets kick some butt as the exercists:-)
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Sherri and I've been here on MFM since May of this year. Though I'm not technically obese I have grown some fun new things over the years -- a really cool squishy belly, some wiggly thighs...well, not so much fun, really. I started out just wanting to lose weight, and now my goal has expanded to looking and feeling better than I have in my 44 years on this earth! I go to Zumba classes 3x/week, I've completed 30DS, and plan on starting Ripped in 30. I've always wanted to join one of these challenges so I'm really excited to be a part of this and I'm looking forward to KICKING THE CRAP OUT OF AUGUST WITH THE EXERCISTS!

Starting weight: 141.4
    Goal weight: 136
    August goal loss: -5.4 lbs.
    (I lose weight VEEEERY slowly, so this is actually a lofty goal for me).

Good luck everyone!!
  • phawley13
    phawley13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hey all I will check in and give more info tomorrow. Our internet isn't up yet... But my name is Pam and I have been overweight all my life, I was somewhat happy with myself at the begining of college, it went down hill from there. There was a time I was depressed which only made it worse, now I am happy and trying to get back to where I was.
  • nb9251
    nb9251 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I forgot to have someone take a pic of me today. :-(. Huess i just have to use a different pic. On another note how do I get the Exercist banner on my signature?
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm not on your team (I'm an enemy :devil: ) but I just had to tell you how much I love your banner!!
    Thanks for the laugh :laugh: and good luck.
  • murelzgirl
    murelzgirl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Jennifer and I'm 27 years old. I'm a wife and stay at home mommy to my three children. I was always thin and very active growing up. When I was pregnant with my first baby I gained 60 lbs and have been over weight most of the time since. I did get back to my goal weight after having my second baby, but then I went through a stressful time (husband deployed, then he got out of the army, new job moved us half way across the country) and gained every single pound back. I am tired of being overweight and feeling sluggish. My starting weight is 180 and I would love to lose 15 pounds during this challenge. Ultimately, I want to lose 50 pounds. I really think this challenge will be the perfect thing to motivate me.
  • wvualum
    Options
    I figure you may need to know what ups and downs are, here is what Gary sent us:

UPS and DOWNS

http://www.youtube.com/user/sixpackshortcuts?v=bkD9LwDBWW0&feature=pyv&ad=7237549087&kw=exercise

The very first part of this exercise is the up and downs. They may be modified by simply starting on all 4's and then standing up quickly and returning to this position to all 4's. This is a cardio exercise! Don't be freaked out but all he is doing just do the first part and modify if needed.

REMEMBER ITS THE VERY FIRST THING HE DOES ON THE FLOOR that's it! Unless you are a real rockstar then finish it out if you can. It's a crazy exercise. Be ready for great exercises you can do at home without anything!
  • wvualum
    Options
    BusinessLady
    gwynnehamer
    honestyismydiet
    jennabutterfly
    libs41223
    magpie4495
    milaxx
    prettygirl2408
    shazz20
    tweez8976

Need Goals from you today please!
  • tweez8976
    tweez8976 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My name is Teresa and I am 34. I was a little overweight in high school but not horribly. College was good - I actually lost 25 lbs by freshman year as I stopped being a couch potato! After college, I have progressively gotten bigger and bigger. April 28 of this year, I found MFP and have lost 20 lbs since then (technically 19.9). I am looking to lose another 20 lbs (or more) by Halloween and am hoping the August challenge will really kick-start that. Good luck to everyone and GO TEAM EXERCISTS!
  • phawley13
    phawley13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    just in case you're not sure how to get the banner put

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m599/scapez/EXER_MAIN_BANNER-1.jpg

with img in [ ] before and /img in [ ] after
  • prettygirl2408
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I am Victoria, I am 25 and I live in the Orlando, FL area. I have played sports ALL my life, but that has not stopped me from always being the "biggest" on the team. I started my weight loss journey in 2010 and I lost about 35lbs. During that time I moved, started new jobs, and I have been working to keep that weight off, gaining 10lbs back and losing...I get frustrated because I am losing the same weight. I am ready to kick it into high gear. I have lost a little over 6lbs since starting with MFP and not really commiting to a workout regimine.

I hope to lose 10lbs in the August challenge and an overall 50lbs. Please feel free to message me if you need help with understanding workouts. The bonus to being a collegiate athlete is that you are exposed to all the fat burning techniques...I just haven't really used the knowledge *hangs head* lol.

Lets kick butt TEAM!!!

-Victoria