649lbs and 3790 calories

Options

Replies

• hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Stay engaged in using this site. It's just tenuous connection to people but you're real and we're real. This community is the best resource in the world for you.

Yes!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    In any case, your doctor's 2500 eating plan would put you at a deficit that would have you on track to lose about 4 to 5lbs in a week...

No, it would not.

Setting bad expectations is not helpful. At OP's size, sedentary TDEE is only about 2500 calories a day, because he's at around 70% body fat.

Umm? I'm not so sure. 2500 calories to maintain 600lbs? That's what I needed to maintain 220lbs and outside of 45 minutes 3-6 times a week I'm sedentary. Now it's more like 2000. A 160lb female.

BMR does not scale well with weight once a body has hit obesity levels.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I've tried the 2000 from the hospital. I was losing 3-5 a day and after 5 days I got so clammy at the store I felt the 2000 wasn't enough. So I stopped.

Bariatric dr mentioned 2500 but no calculations behind it. She told me to follow up with a nutritionist and unfortunately I had to reschedule with them because I didn't have the money for it.

Mfp, I'm 4 days on it and I've lost 9 so far. I think
    I'm going to start with the 3790 and work my way down like suggested. The way I look at it it's better then not tracking / watching what I eat at all.

Sounds like a good plan. You are more then 3X my weight and - 2500 cal is a good number for me to maintain
    - Eastcoast Jim
  • goodkoalie
    goodkoalie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    Had went to a hospital they said 2000. Went to doctor I believe she said 2500 calories... but she didn't calculate anything.... mfp says 3790, of course I like the higher number. I just don't know what number to use! They all say different things.

The deficit you are able to do, and be happy, is the right number. It will change over time, but the main thing is to focus on the process (tracking calories well) eating good foods, and the weight will take care of itself. If 3790 is working in two weeks, stick with it. :)
    If the doctor recommends 2,500 definitely go with it. It sounds like the doctor wants the weight to come off quickly in order to stop any life threatening health effects
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Search the success stories forum for this title:
    From 511 to 175: a 336 lb loss over 5 years
  • Gab149
    Gab149 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Had went to a hospital they said 2000. Went to doctor I believe she said 2500 calories... but she didn't calculate anything.... mfp says 3790, of course I like the higher number. I just don't know what number to use! They all say different things.
    Follow the doctor's advice. If you don't like her opinion or method for arriving at it, seek a second opinion, but from another doctor, not MFP.
    ecjim wrote: »
    See a Doc. We are not qualified to safely advise you.
    This.
    Get a doctor's advice, then use MFP as a tool to help you follow it. But I certainly wouldn't let an app like MFP replace a doctor.

• conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    you could always pick a number between doctor and map--2500 and 3790. i would go with 3200 calories and work hard at staying under 3000 for 3 weeks. If no loss, bring it to 3000 for another 3 weeks. That's what I would do. The 3790 sounds high because it is over a pound (3500), but Michael Phelps said he ate 12,000 calories a day!! You are great for figuring this out! That's all you have to know!!
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've tried the 2000 from the hospital. I was losing 3-5 a day and after 5 days I got so clammy at the store I felt the 2000 wasn't enough. So I stopped.

Bariatric dr mentioned 2500 but no calculations behind it. She told me to follow up with a nutritionist and unfortunately I had to reschedule with them because I didn't have the money for it.

Mfp, I'm 4 days on it and I've lost 9 so far. I think
    I'm going to start with the 3790 and work my way down like suggested. The way I look at it it's better then not tracking / watching what I eat at all.

Well done on the start!
    Keep at it, and get those habits ingrained for the long haul - the things you're doing right now can set you up for a much healthier future.

Please do keep us posted on your progress. If you don't want to have to come on the boards and post all the time, fire out a few friend invites to people whose posts you liked, and they'll see your timeline and diary etc, so can give you a bit of a cheer every now and then!
  • spagano8888
    spagano8888 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do have a little background in losing weight I was on ww between 2012-2014 and lost 350lbs. 601 (highest at the time) and got down to 249, unfortunately the wrong job and the wrong friends, I gained all 350 + 50 more back. Made it on the news a couple times and one time back at heaviest.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    Interesting. So have you poked around in your head a little bit to figure out why a job and "friends" could cause you to over eat so drastically? Most obsessions are anxiety based, so getting to the bottom of it will give you long-term success.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Interesting. So have you poked around in your head a little bit to figure out why a job and "friends" could cause you to over eat so drastically? Most obsessions are anxiety based, so getting to the bottom of it will give you long-term success.

Maybe fear of losing friendships... we all worked together, and they all wanted me to go out "clubbing" with them and drink and I wasn't a drinker and late night eating and everything was out of my norm. I got rid of the toxic ones. I also no longer work for the grocery store I did work at. Smelling fried food and hourly breaks were not good!

the thing is, there is easy access to food pretty much everywhere these days... i just walked into the kitchen at work and there is a sponge cake on a table next to a note saying 'help yourself'... i didn't because it doesn't fit into my calories and macros for the day, but there is always 'temptation' around if you look at it that way.
  • Rhayemun
    Rhayemun Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @spagano8888 I'm so glad you're here man!! I would start at 3700 for 3 weeks, then weigh in. Weigh yourself every 3 weeks and update your calorie goals after each weigh in. Put yourself as sedentary and whatever MFP gives you, reduce it to the lowest 0 (So if you re-weigh and MFP gives you 3459 you would do 3400) YOU'RE A ROCKSTAR!! Don't give up and log everything you eat!
  • spagano8888
    spagano8888 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I get it, I do. But to get to 600 pounds, there is a significant disconnect in your brain between a normal amount of food and an obsessive, anxiety based behavior. Just give it some thought.

I also culpulsively eat. I eat and I don't stop, even when full. I don't know why I do it.