Not weighing myself during weight loss

Options

Replies

• elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Have you considered joining a support group to help?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    The various TDEE calcs put your maintenance around 2500 calories per day at a Sedentary Level. You might even be light exercise at 2800 cals per day. Now these numbers and calculators arent exact but 1500 will be unsustainable. You will want to eat your arm off and fall off the wagon in a week or less. Your body will not be able to metabolize enough fat per day to make up for the gap created resulting in Lean body mass loss too. You dont want that.

I think a starting point would be 2000 cals or 1900 + Eat Exercise calories back. Same thing. You can safely lose 1 pound per week for now. Key phrase for now. Every ten pounds lost you will want to drop the calories 50 or so per day.

Maybe for the first month don't weight but if you look in the mirror one day and know you lost a bunch of weight you might regret not knowing where you started. I think its also nice to have to track and make adjustments. You'll make adjustments this entire journey.

if OP is 300lbs she can safely lose more than a pound a week. 1% of bodyweight is a good rate of loss.
  • jasminnatale
    jasminnatale Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi! I weigh myself every few weeks first thing in the morning. The number doesn't move too much but the inches I loose are what keep me going! I measure my neck, chest, natural waistline, hips, biceps, and thighs. I log and compare. Sometimes it's 4-5 inches and sometimes not a huge fluctuation but every few weeks keeps me from obsessing over the scale and I feel like I am making progress. :)
  • xcazax
    xcazax Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If I don't weigh regularly things tend to go wrong (speaking as a serial yo yo dieter). Personally I feel that it helps me to be accountable. I try and only do it once a week (I go into boots to get weighed so i can keep the little weight slip from the machine).
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I never weighed myself until last year - I was then over 2 years into my journey. Don't know my startign weight, don't know how much I lost in total. Based on what I weighed then and now I estimate that I lost at least 25Kg. But to be honest that is only a number.
    I still only weigh myself monthly simply because I feel that it is only a number and what I see feel is my driver. The monthly weigh in is a sort of self auditing more than anything. I know that if I weigh myself one of two things could happen Either I'd get disheatened as it never goes down fast enough or I'd get so totally obsessed that I'd be impossible to live with.

So while a lot of people could see it differently I am a case whre it worked. If the weight number is not the motivator and you feel it is not the driver for you then by all means go for it.
    The only scale I use a lot more is my food scale
  • dingylingo
    dingylingo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Jasmine,

I think as hard as it seems right now, you need to step on those scales just to get that first number as something you can look back on when you've absolutely smashed it and can say "This is where I was, and this is where I am now... hell yeah!"

I'd say after that maybe weigh in every 14 days or so just to keep track, but don't let a maintained weight or slight gain make you think you haven't done well - So many things can effect your scale weight.

I definitely agree that you should also go by measurements e.g this pair of pants feels loser etc. It's very encouraging to feel the difference, as well as see the numbers.

If you need any advice or encouragement, feel free to add me!

x
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 800 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Can you step on a scale and have someone else look at the number? That person can let you know if you are going the right way and can perhaps enter your weight on the app so that your calories are properly calculated? May sound stupid, but at least you won't have the stress of seeing the number on the scale. That will be someone else's job lol
  • JasmineDiver22
    JasmineDiver22 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Ok guys I'm stepping on the scale this morning. Lol. Don't want to see the number!! So ashamed and in disbelief if it's as high as what I think it is. I will track my weight every month and take pictures every 3 months.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I would actually go opposite direction. I would encourage you to weigh every day and use a trend app so over time you learn that fixing weight is normal. I find the trend app too a lot of fear of scale from me. I use Libra for Android.

You can do this but in order to have success the easiest you need to know your calories burned which is related to your weight. When you live or exercise your weight is part of the calories burned calculations. So failing to weigh is basically making it much harder on yourself.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Ok guys I'm stepping on the scale this morning. Lol. Don't want to see the number!! So ashamed and in disbelief if it's as high as what I think it is. I will track my weight every month and take pictures every 3 months.

You can do this! I started off very nervous about the scale, but it's become just another tool. I am a big fan of the "eat as much as you can" approach. When I started logging (5'2", 208 lbs according to the doctor in January), just maintaining was a win - I'd been gaining weight for years, so realizing that I could control whether I gained or lost was huge - and importantly, not nearly as difficult as I thought! I started slow, but I have found there's a real momentum that builds as you realize that yes, I can do this! After an initial whoosh drop I was losing at a half a pound a week for a few months (with a bit of a stall in there, but so it goes), then a pound, and I'm actually approaching that magic two pounds a week number now, almost nine months after I started (sadly not any taller, but rounding 183 lbs). You can do this and it doesn't have to be torture!
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    The various TDEE calcs put your maintenance around 2500 calories per day at a Sedentary Level. You might even be light exercise at 2800 cals per day. Now these numbers and calculators arent exact but 1500 will be unsustainable. You will want to eat your arm off and fall off the wagon in a week or less. Your body will not be able to metabolize enough fat per day to make up for the gap created resulting in Lean body mass loss too. You dont want that.

I think a starting point would be 2000 cals or 1900 + Eat Exercise calories back. Same thing. You can safely lose 1 pound per week for now. Key phrase for now. Every ten pounds lost you will want to drop the calories 50 or so per day.

Maybe for the first month don't weight but if you look in the mirror one day and know you lost a bunch of weight you might regret not knowing where you started. I think its also nice to have to track and make adjustments. You'll make adjustments this entire journey.

if OP is 300lbs she can safely lose more than a pound a week. 1% of bodyweight is a good rate of loss.

you are right and i misspoke. I guess I meant that she might be less miserable starting at a 500 cal per day deficit vs 1000 and see how that goes for a couple weeks. nothing is more important then long term adherence obviously. but if the OP can do it by all means.
  • smc92079
    smc92079 Posts: 219 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Remember. It's just a number. A data point. As hard as it can be, don't obsess over it. Just say "OK, this is where I'm starting from." Seeing the number or not seeing the number doesn't change the fact that you know you want to lose weight. But the better informed you are, the better chance you have at making good decisions and feeling good when you see the number go down. And it will go down as long as you are consistent. Best of luck to you! Feel free to add me if you want support/encouragement.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    On the calories, I like the Price is Right analogy that your goal is to come as close to the number without going over :)

I am totally going to use that!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    For some of us, getting on the scale every day is a way to start the day with a reminder of what we are doing. If I'm not getting on the scale regularly, I tend to forget to eat within calorie limits.

Over the long term, the scale is the only way to make sure you are in a calorie deficit. Yes, body measurements can serve as a replacement to some degree but not with the precision the scale will.

You may find you want to get on the scale once a month or every couple weeks so you can adjust your calorie consumption to get the results you want. There's a problem with this in that daily weight varies a great deal based on water weight. This goes up and down by a few pounds simply based on sodium consumption, weather, exercise, elimination, injury, hormones, etc., etc. Thus, a single day's weight may not tell you much. The scale says I lost almost two pounds since yesterday. That's not really possible except with water weight.
  • jazzledazzle0214
    jazzledazzle0214 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean by being obsessed with the scale, and if I didn't see any changes from one day to another I would feel bad. This time around I decided to weight myself every month instead of every day and focus on getting the nutrients. Good luck!
  • Chesirekate
    Chesirekate Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue, I would get so obsessed and upset with the number on the scale it would completely derail me. So I stopped. I made a commitment to focus on making healthier choices, and committed to running 3 days a week. I didn't exactly know my start number, but I had a pretty good idea. When I went to the Dr. 6 months later, I'd lost 25 lbs. Since then I've found my self starting to obsess about weight loss instead of creating a healthy lifestyle. I'm working on refocusing. It all depends on what works best for you.