Need advice about hubby and my weight loss impacting our relationship...

Options
Spartan_Gingi
Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
edited August 2017 in Motivation and Support
I'm hesitant to post anything on here, but I'm looking for genuine advice, and don't want the biased input from my wonderful family :).
I've lost 55 lbs, I feel great, I run approx 80 miles per MONTH (not week as I accidentally posted to start with), and am overall very happy with my results thus far. **IN RESPONSE TO COMMENTS: I wake up with him at 530, run at 6, once he leaves to work, and am at work by 830 myself**
:)

My problem is this:
My husband (we've been together for 4 years now) is overall a fantastic guy. He's great for me, with the kids, and a very stable, great looking guy. Lately, he's been....off. I've been dressing better, paying attention to my looks a little more, and the running has done wonders for not only my weight loss, but for my recomp as well.
I've never cheated, in my life. Never suspected him of (or accused him of) cheating either. To my knowledge, I've never given him any reason to think I'd cheat. I work a 50 hr job (at least) per week, and spend the rest of my time home with him and the kids.
Lately he's been making weird little comments about "who's texting" or "why are you still working this late?" Keep in mind, he can look through my phone at any time. We've both always been open that way. I think he's got a larger jealous streak than I've realized in the past, and I'm only seeing it now because other people are finding me attractive too.
I'm hurt, and I don't know how to make this better, and to approach his attitude about this. I've tried, but my first response is always to shut down, and to nurse my hurt.
Suggestions/insight would be greatly appreciated.
I don't need "divorce him" as a suggestion, lol. I adore him, and I know he adores me. I'm just not sure how to approach this hurdle?
Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Just tell him that you were concerned about your health and decided to get active and do something about it. Also add so you two can be together for a long time and enjoy a better quality of life. If he is overweight or inactive suggest he can join in too. People will always make a fuss over you when you lose that much weight mostly to congratulate you or as a compliment. Nobody ever "hit" on me because I lost weight.
  • ironmelanie
    ironmelanie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Maybe he just misses you? 50 hour minimum work week plus 80 miles running is a lot. Just a guess. The only way to know is to have an honest conversation about it.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Wow, I missed the 80 miles running a week part. I try to run 20 to 30 a week and if I wasn't doing that before she woke up she would probably get an attitude. Not because she is thinking cheater but because it takes a lot of time together away. I don't play golf for the same reason.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda with the others. 50 hrs per week, plus the 80 miles per week, I'm not sure how far you are running daily and how long that takes. Adding in the kid and their time. However, Im sure he is feeling a little lonely, then combine that with weight loss and dressing better.

I understand the shut down thing... that's how i react to things of the same nature. You have to force yourself to address this with your husband.

Ask him what would make him feel better about the situation?
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Tell him that your family is your number one priority. You would never do anything to jeopardize that.
    Tell him how much you love him. Show him how much you love him.
    Give him more attention, and open up the communication.
    Ask him to work out with you, if he doesn't run, find things you can do together so you keep active.
    You have made changes that make you feel better, make sure he knows why you are doing it.
    Men want to be respected.

A few years ago I stopped working out and eating healthy. It was getting in the way of my relationships. My fiancé was always wondering where I was going, and we did not spend time together like we had in the past. He refused to work out with me and we were not going to dinner where he wanted because there were no healthy options for me. I completely stopped my healthy lifestyle to make sure my relationship would survive. Looking back on this, I believe we could have come up with a more balanced approach.
    I am trying now to balance between being healthy and still enjoying "unhealthy things" so I can spend quality time with my loved ones. Go eat at the pizza place, sit and enjoy a few beers, skip a workout to watch tv with him.

It sounds like you have your priorities straight, family is always first in my book.

Make sure that he knows that you would do anything to make it work and him be happy.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I also should state, that my hubby is not a fan of my getting up at 5:15 mon-fri and 7:30 on Saturdays to work out. He'd rather have me in the bed sleeping next to him. The side effect of waking up that early is Im sleepy by 9pm some nights. Then he is grumpy because our only a lone time is after 9 and Im nodding out on the sofa.

So you are not alone in this. So understand the need to balance family, health and work
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Have a conversation with your husband...
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Sit down and talk with him. Tell him what you suspect he's feeling, and reassure him that he's the only one for you. Maybe set aside some time to go out on a date a couple times a month, just you and him.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here from people who have been where you are, OP. I agree with what most are saying, communicate with your hubs to let him know he is still #1, and make sure you are showing him attention so he feels loved and special. Gratz on your losses.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    "I run approx 80 miles per MONTH (not week as I accidentally posted to start with), and am overall very happy with my results thus far. *"

OK people please read again the OP. @Spartan_Gingi corrected her previous statement she is running 80 HOURS A MONTH NOT A WEEK.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I am going to say talk to him as well. My husband has watched me lose weight and he knows why I do it (my health, our future, etc) and being clear and up front about that is key. And I have even inspired him to lost weight on his own! Just be really straightforward and honest with him- it sounds like a misunderstanding. I think that is most important right now :)