Calories?

Options
Hello all! I am dieting and trying to lose weight but struggling with the MFP stuggestion of 1200. I'm 5'2 147lbs and would like to be around 130ish. Should I bumped up my calories or stick to what I'm doing? I feel like I'm exhausted all of time and constantly thinking about food. Any help would be appreciated

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    cierrahc wrote: »
    Hello all! I am dieting and trying to lose weight but struggling with the MFP stuggestion of 1200. I'm 5'2 147lbs and would like to be around 130ish. Should I bumped up my calories or stick to what I'm doing? I feel like I'm exhausted all of time and constantly thinking about food. Any help would be appreciated

If you're not losing on 1200 calories it's highly unlikely that eating more calories will make you lose.

Do you weigh all your solid foods? Every morsel? And measure your liquids? If not it's likely you are eating more than 1200 and that's why you aren't losing.
  • cierrahc
    cierrahc Posts: 20 Member
    Options

If you're not losing on 1200 calories it's highly unlikely that eating more calories will make you lose.

Do you weigh all your solid foods? Every morsel? And measure your liquids? If not it's likely you are eating more than 1200 and that's why you aren't losing.

I'm not having issues losing, I'm just struggling with wanting to stay on track. I have lost about 1lb average a week.

I do use a food scale.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options

I'm not having issues losing, I'm just struggling with wanting to stay on track. I have lost about 1lb average a week.

I do use a food scale.

Most people will recommend that, with only having 17lbs to lose, you set MFP to lose just 0.5lbs per week. That should give you more than 1200. You can adjust if not.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    You should absolutely eat more. It's going to take time to lose those last few pounds, but I firmly believe losing weight doesn't have to be miserable!
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat more! You can always try to slowly get to 1200, you don't have to do it right away. Losing weight isn't a race anyway :)
  • SSGKunze
    SSGKunze Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Work in exercise so you can eat a little more just track your exercise and add it so you can have a snack or a bigger lunch or dinner.
  • stefgonsalves
    stefgonsalves Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat more and still maintain 1200 calorie diet then try to exercise so that you would lose the same amount of calories that you eat. I do this and it works I find jogging and rope jumping a really good way to lose weight

Don't lose sight of your goals even if you have minor slip ups, remember losing weight takes time and it's more important for you to stay healthy.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    You should absolutely eat more. It's going to take time to lose those last few pounds, but I firmly believe losing weight doesn't have to be miserable!

True...but you also can't lose weight if you are never hungry.

OP, yes if you can not maintain 1200 calories, you should increase to a level that is doable but still seeing results.

A little hungry from time to time, sure, but miserable, no. Exhausted all the time and constantly thinking about food sounds pretty miserable to me!

Agreed
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    1200 is way too low! I would up your calories to at least 1500-1600 and do strength training and/or body weight exercises. Stay consistent and you'll lose!!
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    If ur losing 1lb a week at 1200, ur maintenance is 1700. Eat at 1450
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you might want to adjust your calories so you are only losing .5lbs a week (IMHO even 1lb might be too agressive); also maybe look a bit at recomp rather than just losing weight - i'm about an inch taller than you, weight the same, but look like i'm 130ish (I fit into S or XS tops) - but I have lower body fat and more lean muscle
  • bentleytino2010
    bentleytino2010 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ive lost 7 lbs so far, i started at 155
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ive lost 7 lbs so far, i started at 155

2 pounds a week is way too aggressive for your current weight. It would be very challenging to meet your nutritional needs on 1,091 a day.
  • bentleytino2010
    Options

it hasnt been a challenge
  • bentleytino2010
    Options
    not sure if maybe because i am getting alot of nutrients in