Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Stamps Restriction

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    Totally for it. And they should add all junk food items as well. Leave baking items and they can make junk from scratch...

Then you'd complain they were spending the money on steaks and shrimp, I here it all the time. Food is expensive for the working poor ( not making a living wage and not poor enough for aid) and soda is cheap. Natural and healthier choices are twice as much as junk food, or haven't you noticed

This is thrown out all the time, but many times it's just not true. I eat a very 'healthy' diet and I fit it in, along with the rest of my family's groceries, on a pretty small grocery budget. Beans, whole grains, frozen veggies, frozen chicken etc are all pretty inexpensive.

1. Have you ever been on food stamps?
    2. Have you ever been poor in your life?
    3. Are you still poor?
    Answer those and maybe we can have a deeper discussion

I actually grew up dumpster diving sometimes, alongside my parents and sisters, so if you'd like to have a deeper discussion about poverty I'd be more than willing to have one with you. You probably won't like what I have to say though :p

And I stand by what I said-I feed a family of 5 on a very tight grocery budget, and I eat a very 'healthy' diet (I follow the DASH protocol), and my family eats a fairly balanced diet as well. Nutrient dense foods are not automatically more expensive, and I've found that they're actually cheaper than convenience foods. This idea that that 'healthy' is more expensive is just not true many times.

eta: actually, no I'm not going to go there, because my past is a pretty dark place and I have no interest in revisiting it, especially on a public forum. Needless to say, yes I know what it's like to be truly poor, probably more than most posters in this thread. But that has absolutely nothing to do with my pp, which is that I feed myself and my family a well balanced, 'healthy' diet and do so on a very tight grocery budget, ($100 a week for 5 people/2 cats, and it also includes non-food items). Beans, whole grains, frozen veggies, bagged frozen chicken etc are usually inexpensive options and are staples in my house. The idea that 'healthy' automatically means more expensive is false.

We all have dark places that we don't want to visit and that's why it's absurd to try to think for someone else. You don't know another person's circumstance so they shouldn't be judged simply by what they buy in a grocery store. We all have to learn that, you of all people since you were a dumpster diver. When I go to buy groceries, I've noticed that food is expensive and getting higher by the day. Organic food is outrageously priced and that's supposed to be the healthiest. Fresh fruit is ridiculously high and fresh squeezed juice, no way. You can't buy a single piece of fruit for less than a dollar unless it's a banana. Now imagine feeding a family of 4. Yeah you can buy only grains and wheat, but what do you do with that? You need a balanced diet to eat healthy and trying to buy all four food groups for a growing family is expensive. BTW, chicken is not inexpensive, who eats beans and what is whole grains and how do you just eat them?

This is where nutrition counseling could be helpful. Organic or fresh foods are necessarily the healthiest. Frozen or canned vegetables provide plenty of nutrients. Dried beans and grains are very healthy. A ribeye at $15 per lb is not more nutrition than round steak at $4 per lb. Thinking that a balanced diet only comes from expensive foods shows a lack of nutrition knowledge.

I didn't say a balanced diet only comes from expensive foods, I said the healthier foods are more expensive. You can get family size bags of potato chips 2/$4 or bogo but 2lbs of grapes $7.98. I shop every week for groceries and I am not making this up for the sake of argument, I've been shopping for decades and have seen the rising prices of food. Parkay Butter spray is $3 for 8oz bottle but you can get Blue Bonnet margarine 4 stick pkg at 2/$1, and these are staples, so there is no nutritional counseling for me, maybe you need counseling for the real world.

You don't need to choose between grapes and potato chips. Things like beans, rice, frozen vegetables, onions, carrots, cabbage, oats, potatoes . . . . all very affordable (at least where I live). Yeah, anyone wanting a lot of fresh fruit is going to pay more, but that's not required for a healthy diet.

But people don't actually eat beans and whole grains like oats, according to pp.

:p

It's regrettable, because beans + rice + lard + chicken gizzards, hearts, pieces and parts = magic.

Or at least one of the foundation dishes of Cajun and Creole cookery, admired around the world.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/baked-louisiana-dirty-rice-beans

ETA: the first recipe is overly gentrified and not dirty enough. Here is one using a lard-based roux, gizzards and livers. I would also increase the amount of the "Trinity and the Pope" (vegetables and garlic) and add in black beans for a more complete dish nutrition-wise.

https://dricksramblingcafe.blogspot.com/2009/11/cajun-dirty-rice.html

Yeah, lots of low cost, filling foods are available, and they don't require fresh fruit out of season, expensive fresh veg out of season, and certainly not Parkay spray, which I would never buy or call especially healthy (vs. generic store brand butter without the mark up for pretend health and being able to spray it or just cooking with the fat from a slightly lower cost cut of meat). I am so much in favor of these dishes being cooked, preserved, taught, celebrated.

One of the problems with these kinds of dishes is, of course, that they are more time consuming, and that's a real issue, and of course knowledge -- which community classes can help with if people have the time to take them.

Also, if you don't know what you are doing and have to shift there's often a higher cost to changing -- someone relying on convenience foods who loses a job or decides to change her eating won't necessarily know how to switch to relying on beans and grains and greens and the like, or even potatoes and chicken thighs and frozen veg or in season fresh veg (although the veg are easier).

There was a good article I linked a while back about one issue for poorer families with eating veg is fear of waste. This isn't that tough a problem to figure out, but the barriers in the short term can be high.

I have thought through this a lot, from that same perspective, and on other threads. Remember that thread where the college student just had $10 or something ridiculous for 3 days? Like many people it caught my fancy, and I priced things out at Dollar General and determined that boxes of Zatarain's would form the staple of my diet, hacked with real vegetables, beans and roux. I remember agonizing over spending the last dollar on Frank's hot sauce vs. a bell pepper. :o

For the recipe above, the only skills needed are the ability to chop vegetables, mince meat, boil water, and brown fat and flour without burning it. The only tools needed are a knife, cutting board, a pan, and a spoon. But people just don't know this, because the most vulnerable have been forced (or lured) into utter dependency

This is exactly another problem created by government-encouraged dependency on convenience foods: broken, destroyed food traditions. As an example, back in the day, every poor and working household would have been frugally saving their bacon grease in a tin can under the sink, and they would have know how to use it, passed down from their parents.

That has been lost, and in fact much of the general population would regard that greasy tin can as something trashy, not something to be respected. (As a counterpoint, Crisco was originally marketed as "pure food from a clean factory" to shame home-produced butter and lard...today, and as reflected in the ingredients for the recipe that wasn't dirty enough for me, it's olive oil that is the virtuous, pure, expensive fat.)

I am so fascinated by the discussion of shame on this thread. There is so much shame attached to frugality--to the point that many on this thread are implying that pushing the poor closer to an elitist Gwennyth Paltrow-type diet of "clean" whole foods is shaming them. Is this topsy-turvy world?

And by way of illustration, I will say that I understand that shame. I grew up quite poor and very ashamed that my mom and grandmother hand-sewed and patched my clothes, cooked every meal from scratch, ate crap like "rhubarb," and that when we were in particularly dire straits, our neighboring farmer gave us (every week for a couple of years) gallons of fresh, raw, grass-fed, locally produced, cream-line milk from his Guernsey. Oh, how I burned with shame and disgust.

Now that I look back at that, I am filled with shame for my attitude, or possibly the outside forces that caused me to have that attitude. And my heart just breaks for the kid who thinks it is more desirable to have the 12-pack cans of Pepsi and a bag of Cheetos (because it is shameful not to be able to buy those things) instead of the cheap-@ss scratch-and-dent apples and bulk generic oatmeal and a mom who turns them into an apple crisp, just for him. When did frugality stop being a virtue in our society?

Nowadays I shame my own kids by taking them to the scariest grocery in town so I can get legit house-made chorizo for Portuguese kale soup, and a big pile of nasty old chicken feet to make stock. :D

I'm having trouble grasping the shame aspect on this as well.

My days in poverty on my own consisted of game meat (disabled vet, so hunting/fishing licence is free), beans, rice, and whatever else I could scrounge up to put in a crock pot and add to my stew du jour.

Have to laugh at this one - despised rhubarb and Swiss chard growing up and now these are considered delicacy items by my grocers and I proudly grow these in our garden now.

Funny that these habits have not changed much. Frugality is something that sticks with you.
  • SSGKunze
    SSGKunze Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bigger fish to fry in MD these cats come in to 7/11 and fast food places and spend our tax money on that crap. Start with making them buy groceries from a food store for starters then we can look at fine tuning what they spend our tax dollars on. They don't have enough money since they buy inflated fast food instead of buying real food and packing it.
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am just not sure of the benefit of banning soda to this particular population. If the government wishes to regulate- I am thinking there should be tangible benefit- much like the regulations around asbestos, lead, etc... If we are looking to add more regulation why not go after cigarette smoking that has a proven direct correlation to adverse health outcomes to not only those who partake in the habit, but also to those in close proximity who choose not to partake. Not everyone who drinks soda is overweight or unhealthy. It is a product that many may just be purchasing and consuming in moderation. And while even in moderation there might be better choices, there are many that may also be as bad or worse.

I am all for promoting healthy dietary habits- and particularly to families with small children. Education should be readily available to all to make the most informed appropriate choices for ourselves and our families.

And if it is just a question that because they are receiving public assistance so we can control these things, then lets go full on board regulating the most harmful and work our way down. I am not advocating this mind you... but lets at least have the rules make some sense.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    SSGKunze wrote: »
    Bigger fish to fry in MD these cats come in to 7/11 and fast food places and spend our tax money on that crap. Start with making them buy groceries from a food store for starters then we can look at fine tuning what they spend our tax dollars on. They don't have enough money since they buy inflated fast food instead of buying real food and packing it.

Assuming this website is accurate, you cannot purchase fast food in Maryland with an EBT card.

http://www.ebtcardbalance.com/maryland-ebt-food-list-ef18
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So I've typed and retyped this reply and it comes down to this for me:

This thread has been weird for me because I don't think anyone's life will be ruined or pride will be wounded if they can't buy soda with their SNAP card. But I think there is a danger to us accepting the moralizing of food choices for people using government benefits. Soda seems like an easy enough decision, but what exactly would it accomplish? This is just a knee-jerk reaction to the current villain-du-jour. How would the keto people feel if the govt decided meat was too expensive and a "luxury" so it was off the list? And why do we always have to fill the loopholes we suspect the lower class is taking advantage of while ignoring the giant gaping loopholes being openly used by those on the other end of the spectrum?

I think it just sticks in my craw when politicians garner favor by convincing the middle class that all our budget woes would be alleviated if it wasn't for those fat, lazy, cheating poor people, buying all that soda with my tax dollars. Of course there are cheaters in the system, but the bulk of our wasted tax dollars are going to corporations and individuals living in huge houses, making payments to politicians to keep their tax breaks and buyouts coming, while spreading rumors about all those ill-behaved welfare recipients.

And I'm sorry, I know this was now way upthread, but I don't believe for a second there are people all over this country buying cases of soda with SNAP money and reselling it on the black market to fund their extravagant or sinful lifestyle while there children subsist on nothing but free school breakfast. Pics or it didn't happen.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post, but sadly, have to tell you that people suck far, far more than you can possibly imagine. My late FIL was a deputy prosecutor specializing in financial crimes, and prosecuted state-wide fraud rings involving SNAP and other assistance. Most notable was a woman who was fostering many children, buying copious and expensive cuts of meats with the assistance intended for them, selling them to a local restaurant, and feeding the kids mac and cheese.

Here is an article that provides a good overview of 2016 shenanigans in PA and the many, many creative ways you can commit fraud, including exchanging your food stamps for heroin, always a fun time.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/06/14/franklin-county-7th-welfare-fraud-cases-last-year/398128001/

ETA: here is another one detailing 8 instances of SNAP trafficking out of 35 welfare fraud cases in PA, but it doesn't get into what was being sold or the specific horrors that may or may not have been visited upon any children involved:

http://fox43.com/2017/04/26/pa-inspector-general-files-welfare-fraud-charges-against-77-people-in-february/
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    dfnewcombe wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So I've typed and retyped this reply and it comes down to this for me:

This thread has been weird for me because I don't think anyone's life will be ruined or pride will be wounded if they can't buy soda with their SNAP card. But I think there is a danger to us accepting the moralizing of food choices for people using government benefits. Soda seems like an easy enough decision, but what exactly would it accomplish? This is just a knee-jerk reaction to the current villain-du-jour. How would the keto people feel if the govt decided meat was too expensive and a "luxury" so it was off the list? And why do we always have to fill the loopholes we suspect the lower class is taking advantage of while ignoring the giant gaping loopholes being openly used by those on the other end of the spectrum?

I think it just sticks in my craw when politicians garner favor by convincing the middle class that all our budget woes would be alleviated if it wasn't for those fat, lazy, cheating poor people, buying all that soda with my tax dollars. Of course there are cheaters in the system, but the bulk of our wasted tax dollars are going to corporations and individuals living in huge houses, making payments to politicians to keep their tax breaks and buyouts coming, while spreading rumors about all those ill-behaved welfare recipients.

And I'm sorry, I know this was now way upthread, but I don't believe for a second there are people all over this country buying cases of soda with SNAP money and reselling it on the black market to fund their extravagant or sinful lifestyle while there children subsist on nothing but free school breakfast. Pics or it didn't happen.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post, but sadly, have to tell you that people suck far, far more than you can possibly imagine. My late FIL was a deputy prosecutor specializing in financial crimes, and prosecuted state-wide fraud rings involving SNAP and other assistance. Most notable was a woman who was fostering many children, buying copious and expensive cuts of meats with the assistance intended for them, selling them to a local restaurant, and feeding the kids mac and cheese.

Here is an article that provides a good overview of 2016 shenanigans in PA and the many, many creative ways you can commit fraud, including exchanging your food stamps for heroin, always a fun time.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/06/14/franklin-county-7th-welfare-fraud-cases-last-year/398128001/

While I have no inside knowledge of the amount of fraud that goes along with this program, and I am sure that there is, I don't believe you should punish the intended recipients of the assistance. Rather, go after those committing the fraud and deal with them appropriately. JMO

They are two separate topics. My response is just aimed at the question about fraud.
  • SSGKunze
    SSGKunze Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I see the signs in all those stores every day EBT accepted in everything from Fast Food to 7/11 when they should be at grocery stores buying affordable food.