Surely I shouldn't be eating 3200 calories a day...

Options
2»

Replies

• ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Low carb is a great way to lose weight quickly, because you often drop water weight. It can be exciting to see that number come down fast. Eventually, though, there will be no more excess water weight to lose and your weight loss may slow. Many people become frustrated and quit. When you stop losing 25 lbs a month, will you still be encouraged to stick to your plan?

Also, do you plan on eating this way forever? If you do the low carb, reach your goal weight, and go back to what you were eating when you started, all the weight will come back.

Not trying to discourage you, I just want you to have long term success :smile:
  • QUEENxo1992
    QUEENxo1992 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I agree with kommodevaran....you do not need to cut carbs to lose weight, you have to simply stick with a diet that suits you, that doesn't make you miserable and making sure you are at a caloric deficit. To lose weight, it is very important to understand that, many people I speak with fail to understand that part for whatever reason because they are too focus and obsessed with their fad diet. All the diets out there (keto, atkins, Intermittent Fasting, Vegan, etc...) are only tools to help you lose weight, they are not the reason that you lose weight. You can gain weight with any diet too, one thing is certain though, is being in a caloric deficit will make you lose weight no matter what. If cutting out carbs completely makes you acheive that and you enjoy it go ahead and do keto....but don't do keto because you think that will guarantee weight loss. You might not even enjoy the process either, it's usually personal preference. I can tell you that I lost weight by eating carbs which proves that you can still lose weight without needing to eliminate one macro. The most important thing of all is to weigh your food, unfortunately not many do the effort of weighing their food and then they wonder why they aren't losing weight. I wish you best of luck in your weight loss journey :smile:

:heart: First of all, thank you for your response. I will consider that but I do enjoy the low carb life. Just saying.

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great ideas and perspectives. Thanks!
  • Jaqweez
    Jaqweez Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Mine was bonkers high too. Turned out I'd checked the extremely active box by mistake. Adjusted it and things are more reasonable now! Had some fun on day one though :D:D
  • QUEENxo1992
    Options
    Jaqweez wrote: »
    Mine was bonkers high too. Turned out I'd checked the extremely active box by mistake. Adjusted it and things are more reasonable now! Had some fun on day one though :D:D

Yes I noticed that too. I said lightly active on it. I am pretty sedentary except for my workouts and walks. (iPhone tracks my steps on here tho). So now it says 2500. I still feel that is too high but I will trust the system.

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It's quite possible. I'm 5-7 at 146# and maintain on 2200. I literally couldn't survive on 1200 for any length of time.
  • QUEENxo1992
    Options
    What is your weight and height?

5'8 456lbs

Then that seems about right you need 2847 just to keep you alive. That is known as you BMR.

It is not recommended to eat below that.

It's not that she will die from eating at BMR - she has the necessary fat reserves to sustain a pretty big weekly loss, and it's no problem to get in sufficient nutrition an way lower calories than that. 1% of total body weight per week is a better goal, and even that can be stretched when you get into mobidely obese area. At this stage it's important get a lot of weight off, and fast.

It is coming off fast. 25 lbs in one month already

WOW!!! That's great. Please remember that healthy weight loss is a percentage of weight to lose, so as you continue, the amount of weight you lose over a given time will decrease. (The 1-2lb a week rule is generally for those that are around 200lbs or less depending on height). Again, congratulations and just take one day at a time. Don't quit due to small set backs, making mistakes and having bad days is called: being human. Be patient and consistent.

Thank you. I will be patient. And am not always looking at the scale. It's not about the weight to me - it's how I feel. And eating less carbs helps me feel less bloated!

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Yes I noticed that too. I said lightly active on it. I am pretty sedentary except for my workouts and walks. (iPhone tracks my steps on here tho). So now it says 2500. I still feel that is too high but I will trust the system.

Hi!

You've got lots of great information, also, you're doing great!

You may want to change your activity to sedentary as mfp's activity multiplier refers to general daily activity and not exercise. This way, when you add in exercise (which you should eat a portion of back, usually half) you won't be "double dipping" in exercise calories.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I want to avoid any surgery if I can so trying to lose it the natural way the best way I know how: exercise and low carb.

There is no magical weight loss associated with "low carb" diets. While exercise is great at burning a few calories, makes your heart and lungs healthier and can stave off depression, it plays a very small role in weight loss. Eighty percent of your weight loss is going to be attributed to how many calories you take in to your body every day. A calorie is a calorie to your body. It doesn't matter if it is a calorie from a piece of fruit or a calorie from a chocolate bar, for purposes of weight loss or maintenance, it is all the same to your body. You just need to make sure you are accurately logging everything you put in your mouth over the course of each day. There are no "free" foods, everything you eat has calories and must be logged. The reason we weigh and/or measure our food is because humans are not very good at estimating a "serving" of anything. At the very least, get your measuring cups and spoons out, especially in the beginning, and measure out your portions. Food scales are very inexpensive and are the best way to accurately measure your intake.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What is your weight and height?

5'8 456lbs

Then that seems about right you need 2847 just to keep you alive. That is known as you BMR.

It is not recommended to eat below that.

It's not that she will die from eating at BMR - she has the necessary fat reserves to sustain a pretty big weekly loss, and it's no problem to get in sufficient nutrition an way lower calories than that. 1% of total body weight per week is a better goal, and even that can be stretched when you get into mobidely obese area. At this stage it's important get a lot of weight off, and fast.

It is coming off fast. 25 lbs in one month already

WOW!!! That's great. Please remember that healthy weight loss is a percentage of weight to lose, so as you continue, the amount of weight you lose over a given time will decrease. (The 1-2lb a week rule is generally for those that are around 200lbs or less depending on height). Again, congratulations and just take one day at a time. Don't quit due to small set backs, making mistakes and having bad days is called: being human. Be patient and consistent.

Thank you. I will be patient. And am not always looking at the scale. It's not about the weight to me - it's how I feel. And eating less carbs helps me feel less bloated!
    I'm not sure about bloating. Everybody bloats these days. We didn't bloat nearly as much just a few years ago, and not at all when we just ate what we needed, which was whatever we could get, mostly carbs.

Keep in mind that weight loss (but not starving) will make you feel better, it's not an either/or. The slowly subsiding number on the scale is indeed a marker of your improved health.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options

I would trust it. As you lose weight - say every 15 lbs at this point - go back and input your stats again and it will sometimes give you a new calorie goal appropriate for your current weight and rate of loss.
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    At your weight, 2500 is absolutely not too high. I started at 293 lbs, and my target for losing 2 pounds per week was over 2,000. I dropped about 15 pounds in my first month and then went into settings and recalculated. I keep recalculating about once a month. I'm currently at 68 pounds lost with a daily goal of 1700.