Calories burned riding a MOTORCYCLE...

Options
1235»

Replies

• Pretzelcoatal
    Pretzelcoatal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally believe this burns calories, but there should be more of a distinction made between styles of riding, what bike you are on etc. I have a Honda Magna(cruiser), and a Yamaha FZ-09 (naked/sportbike). I'm quite certain riding the Yamaha burns quite a few more calories, as you are hanging off the bike in the corners, shifting body position forward to (try to) keep the front wheel down, constantly fighting against windblast. They call em streetfighters for a reason... The Magna however, might as well be a Laz-E-Boy on wheels.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Several years ago a friend told me about how he started gaining weight because when he rode his motorcycle he always felt like he was putting in a lot of effort. I'm certain that riding a motorcycle burns more calories than riding in a car (or a lawn mower), but I suspect that most people grossly overestimate the work involved. On straight roads, I suspect the calorie burn is similar to a person who is standing versus sitting. On a winding road or on a dirt bike I could see that increasing.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Best exercise ever...

I burn 9267884016 for 5 minutes, but I rarely log it.
  • Dacknanimous
    Dacknanimous Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    LOL!!! I hope NO ONE actually believes this!
    Riding a motorcycle, unless you are doing extreme, off-road/motocross, burns a bit more than driving a car.
    At BEST (Very high estimate), about 100-105 calories per hour and that INCLUDES the 50-60 BMR calories you would have burned, anyway, in the same period of time sitting on your couch.

STOP LOOKING FOR SHORTCUTS!
    If you're not working, neither is your exercise.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    PixiePerry wrote: »

Using this calculator, I found out that I actually burned 3,266 calories this weekend on a 2 day trip to the mountains (over 500 miles on the bike).

It's double counting your BMR etc calorie burn.

Eat back at your own peril...
  • rdix333
    rdix333 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I ran out of gas a few weeks ago and had to push the beast 4 miles to the nearest gas station in 110-degree temperatures. I can assure everyone, I burned some calories that day. :D - True story

But seriously, who cares? Just ride if it makes you happy. And if it burns extra calories, then that's a bonus.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    How many calories do I burn grating cheese?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I use to ride (a lot). Started at 26 and stopoed at 66. Did many solo long distance road trips thru the US, Canada and Mexico.

It is NOT just like driving a car.

More energy burn obviouly riding off-road but just keeping a 600# bike (that's what most of mine weighed) upright and on roadway requires strength and energy and the faster you go (or the worse the weather or road conditions) the more that is needed.

I won't overstate the energy burn but I've seen very few FAT long distance or enduro riders.

Weekend riders on Harleys and other cruisers are another matter. ;)
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    While I don't log my motorcycle rides, some of them can be hard work. Cold day, thirty miles fighting a strong crosswind and when I pulled over to take a breather, my leg collapsed. I wore those bruises for two months.
  • rdix333
    rdix333 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    How many calories do I burn grating cheese?

How many calories did I burn texting this responds? I'm thinking 653.5