Experts needed! Protein powders, BCAAs, and Glutamine Supps ???

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    gower1790 wrote: »
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Alan Aragon has written extensively on BCAA usefulness in the past; his conclusion is that if protein requirement is already being met through either meals or protein shakes, BCAA supplementation is neither necessary nor helpful.

We conclude that dietary BCAA supplements alone do not promote muscle anabolism.[/b]

For the first statement, I sometimes don't get my protein requirements for the day, and my protein powder doesn't contain the bcaas. So I'm still not justified in using it?

For the second statement, I wouldn't be taking them alone...they'd be taken with my protein and glutamine.
    I'm sorry if I'm not understanding correctly, but all the information is greatly appreciated.
    You DON'T need BCAA's is the point. All protein is broken down to simplest form for absorption which is amino acids.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    This thread got me thinking and doing research. I found one link that said you get enough BCAAs through your diet if you're consuming 1-1.5g per kg of body weight. I have a pretty high protein diet, but that seems really high.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    This thread got me thinking and doing research. I found one link that said you get enough BCAAs through your diet if you're consuming 1-1.5g per kg of body weight. I have a pretty high protein diet, but that seems really high.

Dude, you are way over thinking this. Get .8 to 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass and lift. End of story. Don't major in the minors.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

For a 175 lb male (79kg), that is 79 to 119g of protein a day. It's not that much.

OP, how much do you weigh? Your goal may be 160g but it doesn't mean you need that much. When looking at protein needs, it's a range (1.5-2.2g/kg). And as long as you are consistently below, it's a non issue.
  • gower1790
    gower1790 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 155. I guess that means I should adjust my macros? Thanks for the info!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    gower1790 wrote: »
    I'm 155. I guess that means I should adjust my macros? Thanks for the info!

You can if you want to. Or you can just focus on calories and making sure you get around 110 to 150g of protein. But this also assume you are trying to lose weight. It's much easier to maintain muscle if you are maintaining weight.