Need some tips for avoiding the office treats

Options

Replies

• caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. We have a lot of meetings and there are always treats. I have three different ways of handling these meeting snacks. Sometimes I just bring the snacks and ensure there are healthier, lower calorie treats; sometimes i budget for it in my day; and sometimes I just politely decline.
  • jacquih2981
    jacquih2981 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    We have a cake table at work, known as the 'fat table' we have cakes, sweets, fruit and nuts. Occasionally it is all cakes and sometimes it is all fruit - it has taken a while for people to get used to there being fruit there and starting to bring fruit in instead of cakes. We even have fruit for the Macmillan coffee mornings
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    People bringing food to work to share should be banned. It's never healthy. Co-workers just want to make you fat so they can look better.
    LOL, well good thing this thread is about how NOT to partake in the tasty treats ;)

My deterrent it to log it in my diary as best as I can if I take a SMALL piece. Like, if someone brought brownies and they're already precut, I just half of a piece for myself. OR, if I already had planned meals for the day and have them logged at my calorie limit, I keep looking at the diary as a reminder not to go over my calories.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I just say "no thanks"
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    RedSierra wrote: »
    That's the biggest problem in offices. I was strongly tempted to quit a job once because of all the food everywhere.

It's good if you can convince people to limit the treats to a breakroom or some other specific place where you can't see them unless you walk in there. I said I had health problems, which seemed to work the best (and it was true).

I've tried to gross myself out (imagine hair in the food, etc.), but it didn't work more than once.

You can also motivate yourself every day not to eat them. Remind yourself of your fitness and health goals. Put an inspiring photo or saying in a frame on your desk.

I do this as well only, as I am a bit of a germophobe. I ask myself "how many people have touched these and put them back? How many people have sneezed around or spit around them while talking" That usually does it for me. I with the crew that I cannot just have a little and walk away. if I have say half a donut that leads to many more and the whole day is shot so I just avoid them. I tell myself "if you have one you know you won't stop and is it really worth it?" I call it "opening the flood gates" when I say I will just have one lol because I know many more will follow. I also tend to feel groos, bloated, and sluggish after I over indulge so every time I want to I remind myself of how awful I felt the last time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eat what fits your calories and macros, or say 'no thanks'.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Yesterday, others ordered out, and I declined. I was told to "live a little." This was the snapping point. I told her she needs to live a little less by the looks of it. Hurt feelings or not, I don't care. I'd had enough.

:laugh:
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    You could save 500 calories for snacks each day. You can either snack at the office, or snack at home at the end of the day.

My other idea is to log your food for the entire day the evening before, so that your calories are already allotted before you step into the office in the morning. If you then choose to have a snack at the office, you'll have to change your food diary for the entire day to make room for it.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I have a draw in my desk full of "in your calorie range Kelly " alternatives. I make sure that it is stocked with almond butter, rice cakes, Kind bars, granola, nuts, seeds. The director of marketing constantly walks around with candy to hand out and I simply say no thank you when he stops at the door of my office. We are headed into the fall/holiday season where the break room will be constantly filled with donuts, cookies, fudge, ice cream etc. from our Members and our vendors. I may indulge every once in a great while but I always make sure if fits in my calories by either banking calories and planning for it or getting on that treadmill and burning extra calories to fit it in. Can't expect others to work around your lifestyle, the rest of the office may look forward to her baking and she obviously enjoys it if she is doing it so often. There are always going to be social situations, holidays and celebrations, it's just every day life. Think about why you are changing your lifestyle, why is it important to you and then just stick to it. You are in control of you... You got this!!!