Need some tips for avoiding the office treats

Options

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    jessielil wrote: »
    One of my coworkers loves to bake and brings in goodies multiple times a week. I have previously asked her decrease how often she was baking and she did for a few weeks.
    What is your advice for not picking up that fork? Make sure I'm not hungry? That I have enough food here to have some alternative healthy thing? Thanks!

What worked for me is not partaking of office treats. At all. It was easier by far to say "no" first off then to say "that's enough" after a couple of bites .... or 100 bites....
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When I started a new job with a law firm years ago, we had vendors who would bring in cookies, buttered popcorn, candy bars, etc. almost every day. I would get up to go to the copier and come back and there was a chocolate chip cookie on my desk. The first couple of months there, I gained ten pounds. When I realized I had to do something about it, I started taking the treats to the breakroom and putting a note on them for others to help themselves. I also let the vendors know not to bring me treats anymore please because I didn't eat them. When co-workers bring in treats though, you risk hurting people's feelings by declining, but if someone is bringing sweets every other day, it becomes a problem. I would start letting her know that you are watching what you eat, you are actively losing weight and show her in the MFP process. Everytime she brings you calories, put the treat on your desk and let her know you will eat it later after you log the calories into MFP. Then, when she is out of sight, crumble it up into a napkin and throw it in the trash. If she keeps bringing you stuff, just let her know "Oh darn that looks delicious! I wish I could fit that into my calorie plan today!" Then shrug, smile and walk away.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Make a conscious choice not to eat the treats. You know she will make more in the future and today's treats are not the last treats in your lifetime.

That part. At my job there is always cupcakes, bagels, cookies, donuts. I already know it is not in my plan for the day so it does not faze me. I would not have the audacity to ask someone to not bake because I cannot control myself. That is just me. If you feel you cannot resist them then stay away from it. Do not look at it if you can help it, but ultimately you have to decide if it is worth it or not to you.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is my first time posting this time around. So I guess I am the "OP" - original poster?

The baker in my office doesn't eat any of it. She's training for a figure competition! When I asked her to slow her roll (and cakes, etc.), I thought she would understand because she also has a very strict diet. Unlike me though, she is a master of self control.

I understand that I am in full control of myself and she's not forcing me. I didn't see the harm in asking her, as a friend. I guess I am looking for a cop out. "She's doing this to me!! She's torturing me!"

Things that work for me:
    • I find that if I have already worked out that day I am less likely to eat a treat. (I saw someone else said this, too).
    • If I am even just wearing workout clothes or tennis shoes, which I can do at my office, I feel like I'm wearing my super hero costume and I'm inspired to stay strong. Maybe I should just get myself a cape! :)
    • I have never once eaten a piece of candy from the candy dish and that rule helps me never start.
    • Logging into myfitnesspal and being inspired by the amazing people. Seriously. I think this is the best thing I can do.

What doesn't work usually...having just one bite or a small piece. Then I want to eat all the things.

THANK YOU!!!

Took a long time for me to figure out I have to be an abstainer & not a moderator. It's never just one bite for me, either.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I keep protein bars and oatmeal at my desk
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Exercise personal responsibility and self control by either not having any or only having a little.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is my first time posting this time around. So I guess I am the "OP" - original poster?

The baker in my office doesn't eat any of it. She's training for a figure competition! When I asked her to slow her roll (and cakes, etc.), I thought she would understand because she also has a very strict diet. Unlike me though, she is a master of self control.

I understand that I am in full control of myself and she's not forcing me. I didn't see the harm in asking her, as a friend. I guess I am looking for a cop out. "She's doing this to me!! She's torturing me!"

Things that work for me:
    • I find that if I have already worked out that day I am less likely to eat a treat. (I saw someone else said this, too).
    • If I am even just wearing workout clothes or tennis shoes, which I can do at my office, I feel like I'm wearing my super hero costume and I'm inspired to stay strong. Maybe I should just get myself a cape! :)
    • I have never once eaten a piece of candy from the candy dish and that rule helps me never start.
    • Logging into myfitnesspal and being inspired by the amazing people. Seriously. I think this is the best thing I can do.

What doesn't work usually...having just one bite or a small piece. Then I want to eat all the things.

THANK YOU!!!

What is your plan once you reach your goal weight?
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would wait until an hour after lunch. If I still wanted it, I would go back and get it. Many times there would be none left.
  • womanisadevil
    womanisadevil Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you can't fix it into you calories goal my tips are:
    Bake your own healthy goodies to eat and bring.

You're less likely to want one when your full, so bring snacking foods.

I bring atleast 2-3 fruits and a fibre 1 bar to work with me so I can snack when someone brings in treats that I know won't fit in and not feel deprived.

Or just have a small piece and fit it in, if it doesn't fit do extra exercise so it does!
    Cheers. :smile:
  • ranmalih
    ranmalih Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I find it hard saying no in the face of a treat as well, so i have a willpower stone. It's just a small stone i keep in my pocket, but it provides a physical and visual representation of my ability to say "no". Having something physical to latch on to makes it easier to remember what my goals are and why I'm not just eating everything.
    Sometimes I will just have the treat anyway, but a smaller portion. And i am learning not to beat myself up if i do go over the calorie budget, but to use it a stepping stone on the weight loss journey instead.
  • granite_peapod
    granite_peapod Posts: 9 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    There is a lot of 'friendly moments' happening at my work right now and mostly involving shop bought cakes and I deal with it by feeling proud of myself for not stuffing my mouth with all that fat and sugar cos in the past I would have been first in line and back for seconds! These days I'd rather save the calories for later and have toast and nut butter which I know I'll really enjoy. Sickly sweet frosting on sponge just doesn't appeal anymore.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    when no is looking i throw them away.. i work overnight so they shouldnt be left by the time i get there anyways.. everyone is extrememly unhealthy so they arent missing out
  • elucanski
    elucanski Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I work in the IT department of a university, so there is constantly temptations, typically pizza. Haha. But I take in something healthy like an orange and set it on my desk. If I'm not hungry enough to eat the orange, then there's no reason I should be eating pizza.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    I'm a night shift nurse and people who work in hospitals are notorious for ordering out, or throwing parties for no reason. It's a challenge.

I decided a long time ago to participate on the holidays, but not on the spur of the moment "I feel like tacos, everyone bring in something tonight" plans that someone inevitably comes up with. I prelog my food for the day each morning so that helps a lot. When there are the donuts or cookies in the lounge I remind myself that if I want to eat something like that, that I need to find better quality goodies and fit them in. There's a place near here that makes and delivers fresh baked cookies up to 3AM and we don't order often but when we do, I'll get one chocolate chunk cookie once in a while (worth all the carbs/caloies). We have an office that has all kinds of candy and chips since the vending machines are not in this building. I am proud to say I've never bought any of it. If I want goodies, I bring my own and like I said, better stuff.

I don't you have to be strict all the time, but you can control what you do and don't do. And definitely not leave it in the hands of the coworkers (people I wouldn't really hang out with if I wasn't getting paid)
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    . I have previously asked her decrease how often she was baking and she did for a few weeks.

Decide how often you want to have a treat or which of the stuff you would definitely not want to miss out on. She seemed to be understanding before, so just explain to her, that you think her stuff is delicious but that it is too much of a temptation for you as you are trying to limit your calorie intake. Ask her to only offer you something as often as you decided you would want it (like once a week, twice a month, whatever), and maybe preferably on your favorite stuff (so you would not miss out on that). She hopefully will be happy that there is some of her stuff so awesome even a weight conscious person does not want to pass on and that she can help. And she hopefully will remember to not tempt you too often.

its not up to the person baking to stop OP from eating it...

I understand what you're saying, and agree with you, but the person who responded above was trying to work out the social problem of turning people down or putting a limit on calorie rich food.

The social aspect is a minefield in offices. Sometimes a simple no thanks will offend people -- they will think you're cold and in the end you have to work with these people.

I claim health problems, which people accept, but not everybody can or wants to do that.

I actually hate all the sweets in offices and doctor offices. You go to the doctor or take a family member there and find candy all over the reception room and sweets in the treatment rooms. I don't know how the nurses work there.
  • Johncalvinfields
    Johncalvinfields Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Remember it's ok to have a cheat day. Just pick one. Other than that all I can say ....determination and will power
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Don't eat them if they don't fit in you daily calorie goal. It really is as simple as that.