Need some tips for avoiding the office treats

Options

Replies

• katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    What are your tactics for not picking up the fork in other situations? Part of the challenge may be that you have a habit of eating at your desk, or whenever someone brings something in. If that's the case, find something else to do for that routine, like make yourself a nice cup of tea when the sweets come out (or whatever would actually reward you). That way you can still have the social time with colleagues (I'm hoping there are more than just the two of you in the office...) and you don't have to recalculate your whole food diary. But I'd say the two questions to ask yourself when scrummy things are offered are: A) why do I want this? and B ) how badly do I want this? If the answer to A is something like 'everyone else seems to really enjoy it' or 'I don't want to hurt the baker's feelings', you can shake those right off. No making decisions about how others will react.

Since it's the end of the summer holiday season, in my office are chocolate somethings from Russia, dark chocolates from the Caribbean and a regional pastry from France. We are running the risk of all this not being eaten because two of my colleagues aren't really into sweets, two of us are back onto a weight loss track, and the person who'd be most likely to eat is only in the office one day a week. These aren't home made, but they are special and exotic (for the UK), but that doesn't mean I'm willing to spend the calories. So for me, looking at those earlier answers, they're A) because they're there and B ) not very. My reward is the fact that my work clothes fit better and better.

You'll find your pattern to make this work. Do it consciously, figure out your motivation and utilise it. You can TOTALLY do this!!
  • cheryljanine
    cheryljanine Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I apologize for this because sometimes you know these people very well. I imagine them licking their fingers while preparing the dishes and that keeps me away from everything. There is a lot of food at the office that we need to stay away from and this is what does the trick for me. My mom is a licker and I know her, I can only imagine what others might do when they bake or bring food. It all looks too good so when I put that thought in my head I can't do it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat it.

I wouldn't go as far to tell others not to bring items in. That is how they are showing their love for the group. Be polite and decline, take a taste, or fit it into your calorie budget.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I try keep snacks always! I have Kids Clif Z bars brownie & iced oatmeal, protein bars, wheat thins already portioned in snack bags that I keep.. and bring a fruit every morning when those baked goods come around I grabbed my portioned snacks and decline the offer
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    my office is stocked up with flavored rice cakes and mini rice cakes, water flavoring, and a few other things, lol.
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Just eat the cake.

hiyjbdat1eb7.png
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Just explain your diet and your goals. People undersand vegans and vegetarians, they have to understand less sugar.

And Diabetes runs in your family, so you are trying to eat healthier now.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    No one brings in homemade baked goods in my office but we DO get a lot of free junk from other businesses...sub sandwich samples from Jimmy Johns, chips & salsa from a catering co., donuts from sales reps and then 10X that during the holidays when we get fudge, toffee, huge boxes of chocolates.

I make little rules for myself. I don't like bagels, muffins, or store bought cookies & cake. I could care less about a lot of candy. I DO love See's caramels with dark chocolate so I'll allow myself one piece per day. I DO love donuts so I'll have one with a black coffee when they're delivered (fortunately it's only a few times per year, if it was every week I wouldn't).

As for the (miniature) sandwiches, I only take one when I know I'm gonna have a late light lunch. Otherwise nope. Not worth screwing up my planned meal.

I also have a no snacking rule at work. I don't bring in stuff to graze on. I don't consider my desk or office to be a place where I eat. Period. This makes it easier. I have whatever treat I decide to have in the breakroom sitting at a table, not at my desk.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest issue. I work in a Dental Practice! Yet there is a constant supply of cakes, biscuits and chocolate. Last year we did a 'bake off' where we each picked a week to bake a cake and bring it to be judged. There are 14 members of staff so we had cake every week for 14 weeks and I kid you not I gained 10lbs. Most staff members take a small slither, I take a chunk and go back for more each day. We are about to start bake off 2017!! :/ Considering not even sitting in at lunch break and going for a walk instead to avoid temptation.

I'm the biggest person at the practice and its become a standing joke about how much I eat :'( I would LOVE to show them all!

That's rough with them joking about it :(

Just out of interest, I calculated the calories in my favourite celebration cake recipe+decoration.... yikes. 23000 for the whole thing. Admittedly not every calorie will make it from bowl/pan/board to the actual cake, but yeah... there's a reason that one gets cut up small enough to do a little piece for everyone at church! About 40 servings. More than half the calories are the outer layers - it's cake, then a 1/4 inch of chocolate ganache, then fondant. Maybe skipping the frosting might help control the calories a bit? I don't mind folks taking that off but I'd be miffed if entire pieces went in the bin - especially at work, since we have enough people on our floor that it always goes.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm the biggest person at the practice and its become a standing joke about how much I eat :'( I would LOVE to show them all!

That is just plain mean. I'm sorry. :confused: