Crossfit vs regular gym

Options

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for the responses. I have some time to think about it and am probably leaning towards waiting to see if they offer a trial period. I am happy where I am now, but don't mind changing things up every once in a while.
  • MikeinNOLA
    MikeinNOLA Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    A new crossfit gym is opening near me in a few months and my gym membership will be expiring soon after. I typically workout 5 days a week - 4-5 days strength training and 2-3 cardio. I have always been intrigued by crossfit, but when I inquired about the cost it was kind of a turn off. Any one who can shed some light on why I should make the jump? I mainly workout for heathy and composition and not for competition. TIA!

As others have identified the experience depends on the quality of the trainer's, and to an extent their focus rather than yours. Going to a PT should get you talked training to meet your goals, at a CrossFit studio you'll get what the plan is for the day.

To me, the latter point is a significant disbenefit. My training supports endurance running and cycling, and the inherently un-focused nature of CrossFit
    means that it's not really complimentary to my needs. I can't rely plan around it, or I'm having to fit running around the studio, rather than the other way round.

Personally I'd get more value for money from a conventional gym and a coach, but that's me. The only person who can answer the question is you.

I bolded the part I believe you're wrong at.

CrossFit isn't unfocused or random, it's constantly varied. You may need to step back to see the programming's intent, but we just finished a 10 week squat cycle and worked a 6 week strict pull up program inside that as part of our strength programming. If I go back and look at the metcons during that period, I see a good focus on core and explosiveness.

We have a bunch of half marathoners and marathoners at our gym. None of us do it to compete against anyone but ourselves, but we can train for races and complete the WOD.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    MikeinNOLA wrote: »

CrossFit isn't unfocused or random, it's constantly varied. You may need to step back to see the programming's intent, but we just finished a 10 week squat cycle and worked a 6 week strict pull up program inside that as part of our strength programming. If I go back and look at the metcons during that period, I see a good focus on core and explosiveness.

We have a bunch of half marathoners and marathoners at our gym. None of us do it to compete against anyone but ourselves, but we can train for races and complete the WOD.

I'm not going to argue with your experience, but I would reflect back to the point about quality of trainers. If a trainer can't have a coherent conversation with me about how the programme is structured, and what the objectives are, then I'd challenge the integrity of the programme. I'd also suggest they shouldn't call themselves a trainer.

My own experience of CrossFit may have been an exception, but it wasn't impressive.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I'm not going to argue with your experience, but I would reflect back to the point about quality of trainers. If a trainer can't have a coherent conversation with me about how the programme is structured, and what the objectives are, then I'd challenge the integrity of the programme. I'd also suggest they shouldn't call themselves a trainer.

My own experience of CrossFit may have been an exception, but it wasn't impressive.

That's been my experience as well. With the exception of a few workouts, it's Gym ADD on steroids flailing from one thing to another. I'm sure it's possible to make progress, but the more likely case is that any other structured method will be faster and more effective.
  • Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    As another poster mentioned, CrossFit doesn't necessarily hit every lift every week, which is important for progressive overload.

Have you looked for another CrossFit "type" gym? I found a great gym in my area that's CrossFit-esque as in there is a WOD, MetCon type training, but they have a schedule, mon, wed, fri is strength and tues, wed, sat are conditioning workouts.

The strength days are consistent with the big lifts for example we always deadlift on Mondays, etc.

If you're still hesitant on CrossFit, maybe try looking for another gym that checks off all your boxes...
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Most Crossfit Boxes have free trials. Check and see if they do. The one I go to we had a free trial and then three fundamental classes. We paid for the classes and then if we joined the classes were taken off the first month. It is over three times what I was paying at a regular gym but I got more results in a month than I did at PF in forever.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

This was my experience as well...it all seemed fairly arbitrary and random and lacked a coherent structure....a lot of random movements done with high volume.

I had better and more efficient results in regards to my strength following a structured strength program in a gym...I got much better with my Olympic lifts when I found a coach to work with me one on one and focused on that.

No doubt CF can get you fit...but it's not the best choice if you have very specific things you're wanting to work on.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

That's been my experience as well. With the exception of a few workouts, it's Gym ADD on steroids flailing from one thing to another. I'm sure it's possible to make progress, but the more likely case is that any other structured method will be faster and more effective.

It's like the Monday crowd at my gym. They hit every machine for one spastic set and jump around like monkeys on meth. ;)
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    lhub2 wrote: »
    I've been going to a regular gym for a few years, saw average results. Three months ago I joined a CrossFit gym. The difference is like night and day. Yes it more expensive, but you get coaches who are watching and correcting your form so you don't get hurt. Never had that at a gym. The workouts are challenging and difficult, but they are also scaleable. You do what you can. I've seen more results in three months of CrossFit than I ever saw in two years of gym workouts.
    Just my two cents. Enjoy

When people say this, I always wonder what they were doing at the gym...
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The real con of crossfit is that the trainers only take a 2 day course and most have no idea what they're doing. They aren't real fitness professionals. People get hurt there all the time and they will be competitive about making you do many, many heavy lifts. RIP to the spine of people who end up at the wrong "box" and get a trainer who doesn't even know the muscle names.

Go to a real gym and pay a real professional. Get your money's worth and not a trip to the physical therapist.
  • MikeinNOLA
    Options

Sorry your coach couldn't articulate their programming to you. CrossFit is GPP, and while it will improve your game, I understand that sometimes a sport specific trainer is what people want/need to make the progress they believe they need. As an example, I can make your swing stronger, and you faster around the bases, but I won't be much help teaching you to hit slider, or place a base hit in left center.

CrossFit is repeatable and testable. We make gains.

While everybody can CrossFit, I get that it isn't for everyone's taste, and that's fine. I hope that everybody tries if for at least a month before you dismiss it.
  • MikeinNOLA
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    The real con of crossfit is that the trainers only take a 2 day course and most have no idea what they're doing. They aren't real fitness professionals. People get hurt there all the time and they will be competitive about making you do many, many heavy lifts. RIP to the spine of people who end up at the wrong "box" and get a trainer who doesn't even know the muscle names.

Go to a real gym and pay a real professional. Get your money's worth and not a trip to the physical therapist.

Insert Robert Downey Jr eyeroll.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Sorry your coach couldn't articulate their programming to you. CrossFit is GPP, and while it will improve your game, I understand that sometimes a sport specific trainer is what people want/need to make the progress they believe they need. As an example, I can make your swing stronger, and you faster around the bases, but I won't be much help teaching you to hit slider, or place a base hit in left center.

While everybody can CrossFit, I get that it isn't for everyone's taste, and that's fine. I hope that everybody tries if for at least a month before you dismiss it.

Nobody is disputing the gains. The dispute is that there are more efficient ways to make the same gains faster.
  • MikeinNOLA
    Options

Nobody is disputing the gains. The dispute is that there are more efficient ways to make the same gains faster.

Debatable. If you're going to focus on certain movements, probably. Over a range of movements, doubtful without a lot more time spent in the gym.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

There are plenty of PT's and people leading classes at "regular gyms" who are far from "professionals" as well....
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Lol yeah because no one complains about trainers in "real" gyms, who often times don't even attend a weekend course, they just take a test online.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

To be fair, I've come across some pretty bad trainers in commercial gyms as well...

Most of the solid trainers I know aren't employees of a gym...they are their own business.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    ... but in a typical gym you don't have to ever interact with a trainer. I ignore the ones I see around and they ignore me. ;)

In a CF box you are expected to be part of a group and to do their programming. You are practically unable to "do your own thing" and will receive training and guidance from their staff - it's part of what you are paying extra and why so many seem to be saying to be careful about the "box" you choose. I assume they are talking mostly about the staff/trainers and not the equipment. lol
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It's really not fair to compare crossfit to a commercial gym. Crossfit is more like a programming method. Assuming the commercial gym is properly equipped, you could do a crossfit workout at a commercial gym. I know they happen periodically at the gym where I work.

Ultimately, I think it boils down to this...

One is not inherently better or worse than the other. You could make the argument that there is a bit more risk doing crossfit than what most people do at traditional gyms, but you as the athlete are assuming risk regardless of what you're doing, so I have a hard time putting much stock in that.

Ultimately it comes down to what is best suited for your goals and for your preferences. Both can be great options, and both can be horrible failures.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    ... but in a typical gym you don't have to ever interact with a trainer. I ignore the ones I see around and they ignore me. ;)

In a CF box you are expected to be part of a group and to do their programming. You are practically unable to "do your own thing" and will receive training and guidance from their staff - it's part of what you are paying extra and why so many seem to be saying to be careful about the "box" you choose. I assume they are talking mostly about the staff/trainers and not the equipment. lol

People can get hurt doing their own thing at a commercial gym.
    I've seen plenty of ego lifters "doing their own thing."