How do you hit your protein goal?

Hey all,

So I'm starting to try to pay more attention to my macros and for my weight (190 lbs) I'm told I should be hitting 120-150 g of protein, and my husband (260 lbs) should be hitting 156-200 g of protein daily?? Right now I average about 70 grams. I can picture getting up to 100 maybe but I don't know how to hit 150 (or 200 for him) without using a protein powder of some sort. How do you hit your protein goal? Do you have an example menu for me? Because right now I'm picturing meals of just SO many chicken breasts :p:#

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I get around 150g per day, with limited protein powder.

I generally eat a meal with eggs/whites, one with fish/meat and a dessert with yoghurt/protein powder. I also get some from cheeses, and the other foods I eat (vegies, grain, nuts etc)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I eat quite a bit of meat, fish, seafood. Also Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs. Other sources add up too.. my toast and peanut butter, grains, some of my veggies, legumes. I also supplement with protein as needed. You don't have to but I find it's a quick and easy way to get protein in without adding other calories.

I like "the protein chef" for recipes and ideas
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Eat meat at each meal. Some eggs and bacon for breakfast, chicken for lunch, burgers or tacos for dinner.
  • lisa2113940
    lisa2113940 Posts: 21 Member
    edited August 2017
    I aim for 120 ish. I hit it by eating fake meat and mixing my casein with soymilk (I prefer the taste and it adds 10g. I also find myself accidentally at a deficit a lot so the extra calories help).

Honestly, lean meat or meat substitute, tofu, quinoa, beans, etc. and a serving of protein powder every once in a while are all good options for protein. If you're struggling with eating too many calories, a good casein powder feels like dessert and can help fill you up in the evening, but if you cook up a black bean burger and some stirfry tofu with veggies, you'd be surprised how much protein you can pack into a meal without having to rely too heavily on powder.
  • Ashlyn_Nicole1316
    Ashlyn_Nicole1316 Posts: 2 Member
    Try eating eggs in the morning with some yogurt, lots of cheeses and mild meat for lunch, as much meat as you can eat for dinner, and try snacking on cashews, peanuts, and other nuts and trail mix. Use as little protein powder as possible. Fish oil is also very high in protein.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    It is definitely an adjustment. I think everything is said up above...except, experiment with some recipes. For instance...
    • Use a smoker.
    • Charcoal grill something.
    • Crock-pots are great for pork loins and chicken breasts.

I could go on, but you probably catch my meaning.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Try eating eggs in the morning with some yogurt, lots of cheeses and mild meat for lunch, as much meat as you can eat for dinner, and try snacking on cashews, peanuts, and other nuts and trail mix. Use as little protein powder as possible. Fish oil is also very high in protein.

Why as little protein powder as possible? Also be careful when snaking on nuts and trail mix...those were my go-to bulk foods. They are super calorie dense and add up fast...all of a sudden 300-500 cals later...
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Eat meat.
  • qt2shoes
    qt2shoes Posts: 3 Member
    I dont understand why its so high. My dietician says 75 grams is lots? I see mine keeps changing too....not what I had set up on my goals page.....
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    qt2shoes wrote: »
    I dont understand why its so high. My dietician says 75 grams is lots? I see mine keeps changing too....not what I had set up on my goals page.....

I wouldn't say 75 grams is a lot in any most regards. If a person is relatively small in stature and not weight training then maybe 75g of protein is enough.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,742 Member
    This thread (see link) is a huge help - it links to a spreadsheet that lists foods in order by protein efficiency - basically, most protein for fewest calories. Find things you like on the list, and substitute them for things you eat now that don't help as much to meet your goals.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

I hope you're calculating your protein goal based on a healthy body weight, or on lean body mass? (Fat mass doesn't require protein to maintain it.)
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I can't eat eggs (some sort of sensitivity although if they are in a smoothie I'm ok? Maybe I will start incorporating egg whites in a morning smoothie) and dairy is hard to come by/expensive where I am (small city in Thailand). Ive never heard of casein powder so I will look that up!

AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This thread (see link) is a huge help - it links to a spreadsheet that lists foods in order by protein efficiency - basically, most protein for fewest calories. Find things you like on the list, and substitute them for things you eat now that don't help as much to meet your goals.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

I hope you're calculating your protein goal based on a healthy body weight, or on lean body mass? (Fat mass doesn't require protein to maintain it.)

Thank you for the link - I LOVE this spreadsheet. (data need here ;):D )

And no, I totally did not know that I should only be calculating my protein goal off healthy body mass. Lol. Makes sense though. Now just have to figure out how to calculate my healthy body mass!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,742 Member
    jelleigh wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I can't eat eggs (some sort of sensitivity although if they are in a smoothie I'm ok? Maybe I will start incorporating egg whites in a morning smoothie) and dairy is hard to come by/expensive where I am (small city in Thailand). Ive never heard of casein powder so I will look that up!

AnnPT77 wrote: »

Thank you for the link - I LOVE this spreadsheet. (data need here ;):D )

And no, I totally did not know that I should only be calculating my protein goal off healthy body mass. Lol. Makes sense though. Now just have to figure out how to calculate my healthy body mass!

If you're using a formula like "x grams protein per pound of body weight", just use your ultimate goal weight instead of your current weight. If you don't have a goal weight, use the midpoint of the normal BMI range for your height.

Close enough! ;)