The DEBUNKING thread.........myths that need to be trashed

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
As a trainer I hear so much advice and opinions that aren't usually based on science and study and are usually anecdotal. I feel that it's important to ensure that actual information that have facts and peer viewed studies to back them up be the information that should be shared with the members. So here goes............

1. "YOU'RE BUILDING AND GAINING MUSCLE, THAT'S WHY THE SCALE IS MOVING"- One of the biggest myths in the weight loss industry. I can promise you that all the BS ads you read about supplements and programs that tell you that you can "build muscle" while on a calorie deficit has been debunked by many studies. Unless you're in the rare category of being obese, starting an exercise program and have never done one before with consistency, or being a athlete returning to exercise, IT IS PRACTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to gain muscle on a calorie deficit program.
There will be some that swear they have muscle they NEVER had before, but in reality you've always had it............it was just covered up with fat. Anyone will look more "muscular" if the fat that covers it is reduced.
If the scale ain't moving, it's due to water retention in most cases, or that your diet needs attention.
So don't buy into this. To actually gain muscle you need to be in CALORIE SURPLUS. Let's put this one to rest.

2. "YOU ARE BUILDING LONG LEAN MUSCLES"- Many Pilates, Yoga and "Toning" DVD's and programs make this claim. The truth is you cannot change the length of your muscles unless it's done by surgery. Your muscles are permanently held onto your bones by tendons and unless the tendon ruptures, no amount of stretching, hanging, or exercises will lengthen them. These type of statements are made, mostly to women, because it appeals to the idea that their workouts won't build "bulky" muscles.

3. "I DON'T LIFT BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO GET BULKY"- Whenever you start a strength program, your muscles will swell and you will retain water and glycogen with your body's anticipation that it will continue to work out and this storage is needed to fuel the workouts. When body builders "bulk" up, they eat in calorie surplus and will add muscle and FAT. If you are on calorie deficit, you shouldn't be doing either. The swelling is temporary and if you continue to workout consistently, will eventually subside.

4. "YOU CAN'T LOSE WEIGHT UNLESS YOU EXERCISE WITH AN ELEVATED HEART RATE"- Many that tout "high intensity" and "elevated heart rate" exercise is the only way to effectively lose weight don't seem to understand that calories are burned just through activity regardless of heart rate. Whether you run an 8 min mile or walk a 20 minute mile, the calories expended at the end are the SAME. The difference is in the duration and intensity. Now while it's true that higher intensity raises resting metabolic rate, many people who are in poor health to begin with can't do this type of workout.
To make it clear, if a person walked 2 miles one day and ran 1 mile the next, they would have burned more calories on the walk than the run.
You do want to try to work on your cardiovascular endurance and fitness, but you definitely DO NOT have to have an elevated heart rate to make an exercise effective.

I'll add more (and hopefully others in-the-know will too) as this thread continues.

Replies

• Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I stopped when you said it was rare to fin someone who's obese.
    LOL, I live in America.
    Gonna go back and read the rest now(:

It's nice to know I won't turn into a body builder when I start doing weights :P I'm glad you posted this, it'll help a lot of people out.
  • rrjs
    rrjs Posts: 46
    Options
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
    I can't wait to read more as you think of them.
    These are things I've always been SO confused about.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    terrific info - thanks :)
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    wait did I read that right....you saying you burn as many calories walking the same distance as a run or did I confuse myself?
  • Msladynita
    Msladynita Posts: 11
    Options
    LOVE IT! MORE MORE! All of these things you just debunked....I believed for so long. Thank you. :)
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Love it...thanks for posting!
  • JoJo1953
    JoJo1953 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this information!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I see what you're saying about 2 miles walked vs 1 mile running... but in my experience I've found that I burn MORE calories when I run 1 mile than if I walk 2 miles.

I understand the theory behind it - but, in my experience running 1 mile is gonna burn a whole lot more calories than simply walking for 2 miles.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    wait did I read that right....you saying you burn as many calories walking the same distance as a run or did I confuse myself?
    If the distance it the goal, let's say 1 mile, whether you run it or walk it the calories burned is the SAME.
  • DTRTinAZ
    DTRTinAZ Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks for passing on your knowledge about these topics. It reminds me that I need to eat more calories because I am trying to build muscle.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Basically.

Think of it this way, you moved 200lbs of weight 1 mile, it doesn't matter if it took you 20 min or 10 min, you still went 1 mile. The thing about running in the long term is that in theory you can go FARTHER in the same TIME frame, and there for hopefully have time to move that weight more and for a longer time, so you cover 2 miles in 20 min instead of just one.

I do have a caveat about the building muscle with a deficit. I'm OBVIOUSLY gaining muscle and still have a deficit, it's just not a 2lbs a week loss, more like 1/2-1lbs a week loss and protein that is much higher than MFP sets (I'm somewhere about 130-140g a day).

I'm a nursing student too, so the amount of information I've learned about how the body works and breaks down things definitely helps me to manage my diet AND exercise.
  • kandire
    kandire Posts: 87
    Options
    I entered walking 2.0 mph for 30min in the database and it said I would burn 91 calories, I entered in running a 6min mile for 6min (to equal the same 1 mile I entered for walking) and it said I would burn 116 calories. So really the difference isn't that huge (only 25 calories)! Thanks for the information, I learned something interesting today!
  • RoseBlanc
    RoseBlanc Posts: 140
    Options
    As a trainer I hear so much advice and opinions that aren't usually based on science and study and are usually anecdotal. I feel that it's important to ensure that actual information that have facts and peer viewed studies to back them up be the information that should be shared with the members. So here goes............

Thank you! This is all so awesome. :]
    It makes sense that you can walk a 20 minute mile and burn as much as running a 10 minute mile.
    Though it doesn't change the fact I prefer sweating intensely to a leisurely walk. lol.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If the distance it the goal, let's say 1 mile, whether you run it or walk it the calories burned is the SAME.

This definitely doesn't hold true for cycling: 10 miles at 15 mph burns less calories than cycling 10 miles at 18 mph. There is empirical proof of this in a number of places, not to mention my own experience with my heart rate monitor and numerous exercise calculators. Therefore, I don't see how it could hold true for walking or running.
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options

Thank you! This is all so awesome. :]
    It makes sense that you can walk a 20 minute mile and burn as much as running a 10 minute mile.
    Though it doesn't change the fact I prefer sweating intensely to a leisurely walk. lol.

Not me! I hate being sweaty! In all honesty though, it is nice to know that I can get the same benefits by walking, especially when it is really hot and humid out. I can walk miles. I can run maybe a block.
  • FifiLea
    FifiLea Posts: 80 Member
    Options

I'm not sure about that either. I read an (old ) article in Runner's World that disagrees with that....

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html

Sorry, it's a really long article, but very interesting.
  • RoseBlanc
    Options

This definitely doesn't hold true for cycling: 10 miles at 15 mph burns less calories than cycling 10 miles at 18 mph. There is empirical proof of this in a number of places, not to mention my own experience with my heart rate monitor and numerous exercise calculators. Therefore, I don't see how it could hold true for walking or running.

He's referring to distance, not mph.
    Cycle a mile at both and compare calories at the end.
  • RoseBlanc
    Options
    Not me! I hate being sweaty! In all honesty though, it is nice to know that I can get the same benefits by walking, especially when it is really hot and humid out. I can walk miles. I can run maybe a block.

I'll admit I didn't like it either. It's something I've acquired over time. I also have air conditioning where I work out ;] so it's not as bad for me lol.
  • janniegrannie
    janniegrannie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information....I look forward to learning more from you