Do you trust nutritional information ?

Do you guys actually trust nutritional labels on packets etc? Or do you listen to your body and just stop eating when you are full? Asking this because sometimes companies change the nutritional values of their products . So Can we really be accurate with counting calories?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    When I weigh my food on a digital food scale, eat the calories MFP gives me, eat most (but not all) of my exercise calories, I lose as expected over the course of a month.

This for me and I don't weigh packaged items for the most part (chips and small things that multiples make up a serving are exceptions). They have a margin of error but they can't be way off legally. And certainly not on so many items you are eating regularly to make an impact.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Packaged items tend to have accurate calorie counts when they are presented in grams. I have found since weighing food that it is less reliable when measured by item, as some prepackaged items are heavier/lighter than their listed package weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Do you guys actually trust nutritional labels on packets etc? Or do you listen to your body and just stop eating when you are full? Asking this because sometimes companies change the nutritional values of their products . So Can we really be accurate with counting calories?

I honestly don't understand what one--trusting nutritional information on food labels, has to do with the other--eating intuitively.

I was thinking the same thing. The question doesn't make sense to me.
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    I call them as I see them... they are guidelines.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    I just remembered something. Back in the '80's there was a cereal called Almond Delight and I ate it almost every day on my diet because it was sweet and a cup was only something like 110 calories. I sometimes ate it twice a day because I wanted something sweet and 110 calories was great! I lost very slowly on that diet and plateaued for weeks and finally gave up. A few years later, I checked the label again and it was 225 calories per cup. It probably was always 225 per cup and that's one of the reasons I couldn't lose.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I tend to trust the MFP food entries that correspond to the packet nutritional information. I always check if I'm scanning in a new food. (The calories, and the protein, at least.)

If I'm searching by text in the MFP database, I look for individual ingredients and entries that have "USDA" in the title, and make sure there are a few with the same calorie count before I choose one.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    I think I've been (re)learning how to trust my body by relying largely on nutritional labels for the last year or so. As others have said, there are no certainties in this wacky calorie game, but once you've been tracking weight-loss-to-calorie-intake for a while, the patterns get pretty clear. I generally trust nutritional labels by weight, but not by portion: six triscuits is never x grams, for example, but I'm fine assuming that x grams of triscuits is y calories. I am most sceptical of restaurant nutritional information again primarily because of variance in portion size, and have gotten fairly good at getting a sense of if I need to round up given how full I feel after eating.

I feel comfortable saying that I will likely stop counting once I've moved into maintenance, but I place no judgment on people who need or want to continue. I eat very few highly processed foods, and I think those are the hardest for most of us to "intuitively" judge portion size. And of course, every person is different. I try not to worry about what works for other people, just worry about myself.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    It's never going to be 100 % accurate. I don't fully trust labels, I know there's rounding that goes into it, but I'm not going to stress myself into doing more than I'm already doing in order to get the most accurate calories. I feel like just counting calories is crazy enough. Ha! Losing weight, so this way is working for me.

I also believe that you don't necessarily need to count to lose weight. There are some who are able to 'eat clean' every day and then have one cheat meal on the weekend or something. They lose weight that way. Good for them! But if I don't eat something sweet everyday my head will explode. So counting works for me.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

I honestly don't understand what one--trusting nutritional information on food labels, has to do with the other--eating intuitively.

Because you have to trust nutritional info on food labels to lose weight by counting calories. And i was asking if you'd rather do so , than learn how to eat intuitively and trust your body instead of counting calories and trusting labels. Sorry if I was unclear.

And what others are saying is that it's not an either-or issue. One can learn to eat intuitively while also still being aware of what's in their food.

Case in point: I'm a type 1 diabetic who calculates insulin dosages off of the carbs in food (protip, for those who think it's all the same diabetes: I make no insulin through no fault of anything I've eaten or not eaten, or weighed or not weighed. Nothing will cure this). I'm also in recovery from an eating disorder. So I'm trying to learn how to eat intuitively, because if given my way, I'd not bother with food until the point where I'm about ready to eat someone's arm off, and even then I'd feel awful about it. But because I need to take medication based on what I eat, I need to know the labels for the carbs.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,464 Member
    Many years ago, guidelines for packaging info said they needed to be within 33% of right, which meant they could actually be 50% off. (Actually 300 calories, 1/3=100, 300-100=200, label says 200, perfectly legal, but actual 300 calories = 150% of 200 calories on label. This was actually in the guidelines. I know the guidelines change periodically, but the bottom line is, NO, you cannot trust them to be accurate.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Counting helps me control and visualize my portion sizes so I can eventually GET to a point where I can successfully intuitively eat. But I learned not to micromanage my numbers because those labels are off anyway. I could have an 1800 count day and have consumed 2000 or 1600 cals depending on how far off the labels are. I think the big takeaway from calorie counting on MFP is being more cognizant of portion sizes, overall nutrition, and empty calories.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    Most of the foods I eat are meat, vegetables, fruit, and rice. I don't have to look to a nutrition label for those. I can find pretty consistent information regarding their nutritional value online and in how I feel eating them.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Most of the foods I eat are meat, vegetables, fruit, and rice. I don't have to look to a nutrition label for those. I can find pretty consistent information regarding their nutritional value online and in how I feel eating them.

This is a good point. I get most of my calorie info from the USDA website as I eat a lot of foods like this.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Any kind of calorie tracking is an estimation. We're all just trying to be as accurate as we can, but we can't ever be 100% accurate. Nutrition labels aren't 100% accurate. Whatever means you use to estimate calories out isn't 100% accurate. We do the best we can, and then we use the results we observe in order to make adjustments as we go.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I think it was extremely helpful for me to learn about the calories in foods, what has what nutrients, so on (whether from labels, which I generally trust and read carefully when I eat packaged food, or the USDA, which is a great source others have already mentioned, and helps with most of what I eat, which does not have a label).

I don't usually log anymore, but I couldn't have eaten just by "how do I feel" and lost at the beginning, and even now I think that's a pointless and (for me) impossible goal that I no longer aim for. Using my head, my idea of what makes sense works better than trying to make my body only want the right amount of calories, no matter what foods I choose to eat, what's around me, what else is going on in my life, what terrible (for me) habits I might have been cultivating, so on.

Easy example, one of the foods I used to overeat was pasta. I'd go by eye, always overestimate how much I wanted (I'm terrible at realizing how much it expands), make a tasty sauce (using too much olive oil and probably adding in a bit more cheese or pinenuts than I really needed), and because of the screw up with making too much pasta have a bit more than I needed anyway. But I'd eat it all, because once I started eating it was tasty and on my plate.

When I started logging I measured a serving of pasta (which seemed like the right calories) or even .75 of a serving, would be much more careful with the oil and cheese and pinenuts (and tried cutting how much I needed), stuff like that. I could end up with a meal half or even a third of what I'd sometimes eaten in the past, but didn't notice much of a decline in taste or how filling it was.

I think the first set of mistakes wasn't that I hadn't learned to intuitively eat (although I'm not convinced humans have any reason to be natural intuitive eaters, given the environments we evolved in). It was that I failed to use my head.

So no, if you are someone who has gotten overweight, I think there's usually more to it than just "I'll listen to my body and not overeat." But if you can do that, great.
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    I absolutely must rely on nutrition information, even if it's off a bit. Today, I felt satisfied, as if I'd eaten plenty. I had only logged 745 calories. Obviously, I should have a snack! Last week I failed to log my lunch, and after I entered it following dinner, I had gone way over my daily calorie allotment and still wanted to keep eating. My internal regulator appears to be broken. ;)
  • Psychgrrl wrote: »

Because you have to trust nutritional info on food labels to lose weight by counting calories. And i was asking if you'd rather do so , than learn how to eat intuitively and trust your body instead of counting calories and trusting labels. Sorry if I was unclear.

I'm actually pretty great at eating intuitively. Unfortunately, I like sweet things that have a lot of kilojoules and I'm pretty sedentary. If I cut out most the sweet things I would loose weight easily (I've done it before) but it's not sustainable for me so therefor I need to count kilojoules.