Weight training while trying to lose fat a waste?

Options
Everything i read says lift to lose weight but i also read u cant build muscle unless in a surplus. This seems counter productive to me. Would it be better to stick to cardio until at your goal fat loss and than start to build? Also should you get rid of as much fat before trying the surplus to build muscle?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Everything i read says lift to lose weight but i also read u cant build muscle unless in a surplus. This seems counter productive to me. Would it be better to stick to cardio until at your goal fat loss and than start to build? Also should you get rid of as much fat before trying the surplus to build muscle?

No, lift weights or do some sort of strength training from the start to preserve as much muscle as possible. I wish this notion of losing weight first before strength training would go away.
    For your last question, yes you should try to get pretty lean before switching to a surplus as most people will gain fat and muscle.
  • jessicaalfaro2427
    jessicaalfaro2427 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I see this so often, very curious where this info is coming from. Lifting while losing weight is definitely NOT a waste.... it is going to preserve the muscle you have now and have positive affects on your body composition. Otherwise when you get down to your goal weight you will typically be a smaller version of your current self (which is perfectly fine if that is your goal), Can you build muscle in a deficit? Maybe a little bit but that should not discourage you from not lifting weights. It is similar to me bulking to gain muscle, then when I cut to just stop lifting all together. I definitely wouldn't do that!

ETA: If you are interested in bulking, you want to lift now, have adequate protein and eat in a deficit to reduce bodyfat until you are at least 20% or lower (I would say at least 18% or under) and then you can go ahead and eat in a surplus to gain muscle

Thank you. Great advice! I do love strength training and do it consistently but have been so curious if im wasting my time. I am only now for the first time doing it consistently and i do see some growth in my arms unless im just losing more fat. Also i am 5'1 135 ish. I was 160 to begin but ideally i want to get to 120 or less before i risk the bulking idea. My goal is to get fit not just skinny
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think weight training while losing fat is not a waste - excess body fat can be used as fuel. Trying to lose weight, well, that is a waste. Weight loss is so so simple. But it's not necessarily easy. It can be made easier or more difficult. Do it right. Know what you are doing and do it in a way that you like and can do, and just do it.
  • SisepuedeLinda
    SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Is weight training under the strength training category? Are there other ways to keep my muscle while losing weight without lifting? Only because I have no access to any weights at the moment as I've signed up for cardio class already prior to knowing this lol I've heard yoga is considered strength training so would that be similar to weight training?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Is weight training under the strength training category? Are there other ways to keep my muscle while losing weight without lifting? Only because I have no access to any weights at the moment as I've signed up for cardio class already prior to knowing this lol I've heard yoga is considered strength training so would that be similar to weight training?
    @SisepuedeLinda

Search for "strength training" under the cardiovascular section of your exercise diary if you are looking for how to log it for an estimated calorie burn. The strength part of the diary is just a journal.

Your body doesn't suddenly start using muscle for fuel when you are in a sensible deficit. The amount muscle may be lost can a bit exaggerated on here - it's a risk rather than a certainty. People seem to confuse the inevitable loss of Lean Body Mass with loss of muscle mass.
    However, if you do exactly what you have always done when heavy there's less need for it when significantly lighter. That's the reason people say there's a risk when dieting of simply being a smaller version of the current you.

All exercise is positive for your muscles, especially if it puts stress or overload on your muscles - strength training is just the strongest and most significant stress.
    Think of a continuum....
    Strength training (weights or bodyweight) - cardio with a significant resistance element (swimming or rowing for example) - vigorous cardio - easy cardio - general activity.
  • Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Actually depending on your start point (plus genetics, training history etc. etc.) you can build some muscle in a deficit. Smaller the deficit the more likely it will be, higher the deficit the more your chances reduce.
    Is this right?

(Naively in hindsight) I had thought that if I trained a bit whilst in a deficit, I'd retain "all" my muscle, and only lose fat! This was miraculously going to "solve" my body fat % problem in about 20 weeks!

Then I started reading this thread, and to be honest my heart sank a bit. Most people seem to be saying you will inevitably lose muscle when in a deficit.

Your post has given me a bit of comfort!
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    Lift.
    It's awesome. You'll love it.

I started lifting about a month ago. I disagree with the above.

I've put it off as long as I can (longer than I should), but I really don't enjoy it. I'd rather go for a run.

Me too. I want to like it, I really do. But I just don't.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Scubdup wrote: »
    Actually depending on your start point (plus genetics, training history etc. etc.) you can build some muscle in a deficit. Smaller the deficit the more likely it will be, higher the deficit the more your chances reduce.
    Is this right?

(Naively in hindsight) I had thought that if I trained a bit whilst in a deficit, I'd retain "all" my muscle, and only lose fat! This was miraculously going to "solve" my body fat % problem in about 20 weeks!

Then I started reading this thread, and to be honest my heart sank a bit. Most people seem to be saying you will inevitably lose muscle when in a deficit.

@Scubdup
    It's far from inevitable - but the actual results are highly variable.
    Everyone has a slightly different set of circumstances...
    Age, gender (OK limited options for that!), current training/physique status, past training history, size of deficit, adequate protein in your diet, genetics and of course the training stimulus itself.

But I believe the main aim should be to play the cards you have been dealt the best way you possibly can. Whatever the results are it's still the best you could have done.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Scubdup wrote: »
    Is this right?

I gained about 5lbs of muscle during my first 10 pounds of weight loss under a deficit, but have held steady ever since, even though I'm lifting much heavier and with more intensity now. Weight lifting is my main form of exercise, 3-5 days a week. I work out with a HR monitor to keep my HR elevated to maximize the burn.
  • Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    @sijomial - thanks, will do.

@jdlobb - yeah, I'm thinking of getting a HRM too - but mainly for rowing machine workouts.